“Different Menu Items with Different Wine Choices”
Review of Daryl Restaurant and Wine Bar - CLOSED

Daryl Restaurant and Wine Bar
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I ate at this restaurant/wine bar for the first time before attending a nearby show. We were delighted by the menu offerings, which are a little bit different than your ordinary meat-and-potatoes. I ordered seafood dumplings in a seafood broth (almost a soup), and it was tantalizing in its tastes. The broth was rich in seafood flavor, and left a slightly "hot" taste on the tongue. The blend of delicate spices was delicious. The dumplings were made with rich little seafood "meatballs" surrounded by pasta, of course. The "noodle" portion had a tendency to go limp very quickly in the broth, but the taste was so great I didn't mind. My main course was seared scallops with a cauliflower "fluff" (my words, not the chef's) that melted in your mouth. The scallops were served hot and fresh with a buttery "foam" atop. Delicious! My wife ordered butternut squash soup, which was served with pumpkin seeds and carmelized onion. She was struck by the delicate combination of spices and tangy flavor. Her main course was hanger steak, served with potatoes lyonaise in thier own oven-baked rectangular dish; she gave me a sample, and they were still iping hot and delicious well into our dinner. Her steak consisted of two nicely cut, rectangular pieces of 5-oz each steaks, perfectly cooked (for her!) to medium perfection. We were both surprised at the thickness of the steak, as hanger steak is usually a rather thin-cut piece of meat. Her steak was accompanied by Bearnaise sauce, from a choice of about five or six different sauces. We didn't order a bottle of wine, but preferred to choose from a varied selection of wines by the glass, each offered in 3-oz, 4-oz or 6-oz volumes, priced accordingly. We both chose a lovely, bubbly Proseca with our appetiziers. I chose an Italian Pino Grigio to have with my scallops; our waitress "warned" me that it was a Rose wine, which surprised me. I tried it and loved it. Service was good, though could have been better. Though not overly busy, our server didn't come back to check on us for a long time, and I had to call a different server to get a wine refill. We chose not to have dessert or coffee, so we could get to the show on time. The bill for the two of us was about $ 132 including a 20% gratuity. If you are attending any of the shows along the "theater row" in New Brunswick, give this place a try before your show.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This pretty restaurant is known for its wine list, and it's fun to order smaller glasses of wine, and taste different wines.

The food is delicious and the service is lovely.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Had a wonderful dinner here this past weekend to celebrate a family birthday. We shared four appetizers: the duck meatballs (fabulous), the salmon sashimi with grapes, radishes and wasabi cream (the fish itself was very good but the flavor was rather delicate and a bit overwhelmed by the wasabi cream & the potion was also quite small.), the tuna tartare (excellent flavor but the meatballish presentation was perhaps not as elegant as it could be) and the beets with goat cheese (a perfect pairing). For our entrees, we had the duck (three large slices of duck breast, beautifully cooked but accompanied by a mass of undistinguished sautéed red cabbage; I love cabbage but this preparation was boring and lacked acidity), lobster fettuccine (a generous portion of lobster, a delicious sauce and perfectly al dente pasta), butternut squash fettuccine (not up to the standard set by the lobster fettuccine; in this pasta dish, the butternut squash - although delicious-was scarce and this lack prevented the dish from rising from "good" to "very good" or "excellent.") The fourth dish was the Mahi Mahi, which our server recommended especially since it was to only be on the menu for a few more days. (The mahi was perfectly cooked and the accompaniments - roasted brussel spouts, turnips and cranberries were a perfect winter complement to the fish. The mahi was good, but not up to the level of the Duck or the lobster fettuicine.) For dessert, we shared three items. The warm banana soup w/chocolate ice cream and hazelnut brittle was interesting; we all loved the brittle, but I liked the soup more than the rest of the family. Our least favorite of the three desserts. The chocolate cake w/coffee ice cream was great, but more or less a standard flourless chocolate cake (one of my very favorite desserts of all time) although the coffee ice cream was very intense and really complimented the cake. Our favorite dessert of the three was the coconut pannacotta w/the cilantro syrup; that was something new to us and we all really liked it. the coconut flavor was strong but not overpowering. The banana soup was quite sweet but the other two desserts were nicely balanced. the service was terrific and very professional; our waitress and the rest of the staff made sure that our water glasses were always full, folded our napkins when we went to the (beautifully decorated) bathroom, and kept the perfect pace for the meal. we weren't rushed at all but neither did we have long waits between courses. This was our first time at Daryl's and we would definitely go back for a special occasion; this was a pricy meal although I felt that we got our money's worth.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We eat dinner in NB a few times a year. We've eaten at the top spots and we know that we can get an excellent meal at those places but we also like to try the newer places to see what they have to offer.

Overall, the decor was contemporary and open. The place was clean and the service was very friendly and professional. The food was very high quality and well prepared. We liked that we could order smaller glasses of wine if we want to sample a few.

I guess that it was the little things and attention to details that kept me from giving a better rating. For example:

The tables are all in one long row. If the place was more crowded, I would have been sitting closer to a stranger than my dining companion.

Whomever designed the men's room is an idiot. When you open the door, you get a full view of the urinals and anyone using them.

Appetizers should be served with their own utensils. I shouldn't be expected to use my bread knife.

The fall menu is still being used in March. Pumpkin is no longer in season.

Although the roasted chicken over Asian slaw was delicious, putting a hot piece of chicken on top of a mound of cold slaw didn't make any sense.

Our meal at Daryl was good but not great. If I was looking for a glass of wine before the symphony, I would probably come back. But, I doubt that I would come back for a meal when there are so many other choices available.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We ate here recently because we heard they were taken over by the owners of Blu. We expected the food to be eclectic like Blu so we were disappointed by that. The food was tasty but very typical. The service was good. The restaurant was fairly quiet although it was a cold ugly night.