“Simple New Orleans food done well with fun atmosphere” 3 of 5 bubbles

Old Bay Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 194 Restaurants in New Brunswick
Cuisines: Seafood, American, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Neilson Street
Description: The Old Bay restaurant is New Brunswick, NJ's premier New Orleans-style restaurant. Join us for amazing food, drinks, and entertainment today! Our dinner menu features gourmet Fresh Creole and Cajun cuisine, steaks, and seafood. Our award-winning draft beer list features 22 taps pouring the finest micro-brewed, imported, and domestic beer you can find! Enjoy a drink from our full bar; a hurricane or a mint julep will nicely compliment your meal. We have got a specialty drink for everyone! After 10pm, our restaurant transforms into a sophisticated nightlife sop with outrageous drink promotions and the best live entertainment in town. We have multiple festivals, events, and specials with tons of food, entertainment, and fun. It's never too early to plan for Mardi Gras - we always have the biggest and best celebration around. Join us for an amazing meal, fun drinks, and a crazy night soon!
East Brunswick, New Jersey
“Simple New Orleans food done well with fun atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Some how this place always makes me smile. Friendly bar staff and host/hostess help. Good crowd for outdoor bar. Prices reasonable and lots of drink specials and good music

Visited April 2013

Somerset, New Jersey
“decent food, great drink selection”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Old Bay is billed as a Cajun restaurant. The food is fair, I wouldn't call it Cajun. The bar is well stocked, and after a few drinks, who really cares about how food tastes.

Visited September 2012
Prince George's County, Maryland
“New Orleans vibe in New Jersey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Located across the street from the Hyatt. I first visited on a Thursday for dinner around 7 pm. We were seated promptly. Walking up the spiral staircase is fun (not) and two people in the opposite direction should be a no-no! My friend and I ordered separate appetizers (Jambalaya and Shrimp & Grits) and split an entree Pecan Crusted Salmon. The jambalaya was bland to me. The shrimp was amazing but the grits were so so. Eat them together and it's not bad. It's an app so you won't get full. The Salmon was so so. I used all three sauces at the table an could have still had more flavor but its Jersey not nawlins! My drink was completely gone before the waiter offered a refill. So the service too was so-so.

My friend wanted a drink Friday night so we went back at 10 during their bar specials. Or was a mad house getting in. There is a $5 cover charge. A band was setting up. You couldn't really get through to the bar w/o pushing yourself. Drinks are half priced so we had 2. We ordered dessert downstairs and pushed our way to the spiral stair case (my fave) and found a table in the back. The dessert was delivered upstairs. The band was decent. Slow service upstairs. A lot of drunk people. By 11 when we left it was even more crowded. I wonder if there is a fire code against this. Folks were even outside on the patio.

I hope you find this review helpful.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jknecole
Monroe Twp, NJ
“Fabulous find in New Brunswick”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I had a weekend getaway close to home and since I went back to work in New Brunswick had been wanting to try so of the local establishments I'd heard about. We arrived on a Saturday night prior to the college kids (old enough to be are kids) started to filter in. Seating at the bar was fairly easy to get as well as our appetizers and drinks. We ordered the mini crab and shrimp cakes which were very good and the frid calamari creole which was a twist to normally calamari you would get in an italian restaurant. We both were pleasantly surprised of the unique taste of the creole marina. Overall, Old Bay was a great place to go for a lite bite. Next time we venture out we will try it for dinner.

Visited April 2012
Neshanic Station, New Jersey
“Extremely busy on weekends, fun bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I used to go here a decent amount in college, but I recently went last month as a person in my late twenties. Besides having a bit of a college crowd (on the other side of New Brunswick less frequented by college students though), the place is fun. It's loud with love music and some dancing. The bars are numerous but still all crowded. The girls bathroom often has a line. The outdoor area is full of smoke and too cold in winter. The cover was $4. It's just a bit nicer than your typical bar in New Brunswick,

• Visited February 2013