“Overrated/Underserved”

The Frog and The Peach
Reserve with OpenTable
The Frog and The Peach is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 201 Restaurants in New Brunswick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Dennis Street and Hiram Square
Transit: New Brunswick stop on the Trenton Line
Description: The Frog and The Peach, located in downtown New Brunswick, NJ is one of the Garden State’s premier dining venues, recently named NJ’s best “All Around” restaurant for “its impressive New American cuisine” and rated fourth most popular restaurant in the state by Zagat Survey. Whether seated in one of the warm and inviting alcoves of this stylish, swank restaurant set on two levels, in the newly renovated outdoor Garden, or in the inviting bar area, diners will enjoy Chef/Proprietor Bruce Lefebvre’s modern American menu with a seductive international spin. Try signature selections like the Tuna Sashimi with cucumber salad and lemongrass broth, Black Truffle Gnocchi with almond basil pesto or Tea Cured Duck Breast with a jasmine rice cake, pea greens, shiitake mushrooms and smoked duck jus. The award winning wine list offers 400 selections carefully chosen by wine director Jim Mullen.
Reviewed June 9, 2010

I recently ate at this restaurant in New Brunswick based on a recommendation from a colleague. Unfortunately, I was underwhelmed. I ate at the bar and the service was lousy (the bartender was making time w/ two women and had little opportunity to serve other patrons). While I liked the amibiance of the restaurant, the food did not rise to the quality of the decor. First, the bartender's pour of wine by the glass was skimpy, especially in light of the price. Second, the calamari appetizer was well prepared but the sauce it came w/ was sickly sweet. My real complaint, however, was with the main course. I had the ribeye w/ parmesan potatoes and sauteed spinach. For a steak that is known for flavor, this cut was bland and uninteresting. The potatoes were dry and, worst of all, the sauteed spinach was acrid and inedible.

While it might not sound like it, I RARELY find fault when dining out and have never submitted a restaurant review in my life. This meal disappointed on so many levels, however, I had to point it out. To boot, it was expensive.

Tip to the Frog & the Peach: Service and Quality are what maintain a reputation as well develop one in the first place.

Reviewed February 21, 2010

Wonderful experience overall. It's hard to get a reservation a Saturday night, and the hostess is chilly, but the menus are inventive and pleasing (wine, food, dessert, cheese) enough to make ti hard to order. Our server was professional and friendly, always there when we needed him, not when we didn't. Food quality was high, recipes were clever and interesting, and while the execution wasn't flawless, it was very, very good. Rolls were warm enough to melt the garlic herb butter on contact, oysters were served at the peak of perfection, flow of dinner was customized to our pace (hard to do on a packed Saturday night), and after-dinner wine recommendations on the dessert menu were inspired. Other kudos - clean clean clean bathroom, and they took us right on time for our reservation (yes, yes, this shouldn't have to be a positive, but lately restaurants seem to be doing a poor job of being available when they told you they would be). Was it perfect? Almost. The few nits I had were that lemon wedges should have been served with the oysters, regardless of whether you chose the mignonette or the caviar, but when I asked they appeared almost instantly. My monkfish was perhaps overcooked by 20 seconds, but I'm fussy about fish. Perhaps the most significant flaw was that our white wine came out at roughly room temp and we had to wade through it very slowly until it chilled down enough. Not the end of the world, and it did help us pace ourselves, but they should take more care with a $100 bottle of chardonnay. I would take this into account if you think you're going to be ordering a white. Finally, this was very expensive. $350 for two for a 3 course meal with wine. A lovely, lovely meal, though.

Reviewed December 5, 2009

I love the atmosphere at F&P, however sometimes there can be the occasional person sitting at the bar who just does not seem to fit in (trashy people). The food is very good however slightly overpriced and small plates, men get ready to order two dishes from here. Its worth going however and I would reccommend it.

Reviewed March 18, 2009

I had an fabulous and romantic dinner at The Frog and Peach. The bar is nice and staff is super friendly. Once at our table we found our waitress to be knowledgable, pleasant and attentive. The food is some of the best I've had as was the wine. Dessert was fancy and sweet, two of my favorite quailities. The soup of the day was black bean and artichoke puree, it was delicious, it should be on the menu everyday. I would definitely visit F&P again, just can't do it too much, it is expensive, but so worth it.
For more details and other reviews, check me out at www.houseofskip.com
Thanks!
Skip

Reviewed January 21, 2009

Overpriced for average food.