“not that special”

Panico's Pizza
Ranked #54 of 208 Restaurants in New Brunswick
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I ate here with three friends, who had red wine by the glass and a salad pizza. I shared a veggie pizza with one friend, asking for a thin crust. To me, thin crust means crispy but this pizza was soggy, which probably means it was baked in a pan without holes or not on the oven rack. The server was nice, but the place could use a sprucing-up since furniture and decor are pretty tired. The whole place is just ... average. Location is very good in downtown New Brunswick by the Hyatt and a five-minute drive from the Rutgers Douglass campus. Don't think I'd come back, though.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

the best pizza this side of Princeton. Now that will get a rise out of the local Red Knights. The service is just what it should be. The pizza is better that expected.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Found out that the pizza is NOT made to order. Premade pizza is on standby. Place was dirty, sever was OK, but the place is very poorly managed. There are so many places in the area with better pie.

3  Thank Jesse M
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our friends are up a lot earlier than we are and set off for breakfast with the plan of us meeting them at a nearby local restaurant.

By the time we get going my stomach is thinking lunch more than breakfast.

Walking along Church Street a few steps from our hotel, The Hyatt in New Brunswick, a sidewalk sign catches my eye that is almost too good to be true.

A 12 inch whole wheat pie for $3.00 and beer for $2.00, forget the most important meal of the day, I am having lunch for $5. However, to make myself feel better, I guess I can call it brunch.

Two Amberbock pints, Two 12 inch whole wheat pies along with a 6 piece order of wings and we cannot wait for “breakfast” to be served.

Our impatience gets the best of us as we order up a slice of regular cheese to share while we wait for most of our full meal to be prepared in Panico's brick oven.

Panico's is a sports bar type restaurant that looks like a lot of fun to hangout in especially during one of Rutgers games or for any sporting event.

A few text messages and our friends join us in time as our order is delivered.

Another round of Amberbocks and even they cannot resist a slice of Panico's brick oven pizza and a great tasting wing or two even after just eating breakfast.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

This review is specific to Panico's Brick Oven Pizza restaurant, not the higher-end full service Italian restaurant across the street.
We've enjoyed a quick pre-theater dinner at Panico's on several occasions, but most recently, the place is looking threadbare - dirty carpets, dirty tables, gnat flying around the table. When we arrived, it too awhile to be seated - the service person was too busy watching the ballgame at the bar area to be bothered. The salad was fresh and good, as was the pizza, the the atmosphere and lack of attention from the staff really hurt what used to be a great place to grab a quick bite. We won't be returning any time soon.