“My fault for not picking a dish I like” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
NJ
“My fault for not picking a dish I like”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

I ate at Indochine recently for the first time. It is a simple but pleasant place on the busy Main Street of New Brunswick, well within walking distance of theaters, J&J, parking lots, the train station, the main in-town bus stop, other restaurants in this well-fed town, and the College Avenue campus of Rutgers University. The staff are attentive and helpful in a quiet manner. Not being familiar with Vietnamese cuisine I followed the lead of a companion who chose a beef based Pho and received the kind of dish that - for me - is more trouble to eat than it's worth. A thin soup with slender slices of beef covered a base of noodles and a garnish of slaw-like vegetable shavings was available for those who wanted to add them. Some parts of the dish could be consumed with a fork and others only with the spoon, requiring a manual two-step to get through food that cooled faster than I could consume. Others in the party liked the meal better than I but that is not the restaurant's fault. Next time, read the menu, ask questions and pick the foods that suit would seem to be good advice here.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Taughboyne

New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
“Decent Vietnamese food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

The food was great depending on what you get, the prices can be a little bit better. In New Brunswick, this the only place you can get Vietnamese food. The owner is really nice. I used to be a delivery driver for him. A lot of the customers were students usually. I would say the food is average but there are no other choices in New Brunswick for Vietnamese food.

Visited February 2012
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
“A great pre-theater choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I weren't sure what we were in the mood for when we came to town for a concert. New Brunswick is funny in that there are a lot of dining choices, but you kind of have to know what's there and where it is in advance. For example, we were going to the State Theater. TA rates the Grease Trucks as the number one dining choice in town, but they aren't really handy to walk to from the theater. Indochine is one of several choices within a five-minute walk, and my wife had never had Vietnamese food, so this was our choice. Being used to Vietnamese food prepared by/for Vietnamese people, I warned her that she might want to check with the server for the relative heat of any dish she might choose. The warning was not necessary. Indochine follows the same practice I experienced at a Jamaican friend's restaurant - Most, if not all menu choices are non-spicy - with Sriracha hot chili sauce at the table for you to make dishes as hot as you want. I chose Bun Cha GioTom Ga Nuong (Noodles with chicke, shrimp and egg roll; served with cold vegetables and crushed rroasted peanuts, with sweet & sour sauce). The bowl is an interesting mix of hot and cold textures and flavors. It is also saisfying without creating "belly bomb" fullness. As another reviewer noted, this is Vietnamese without being overly Americanized. After all, why eat food from other countries if it is just a variation of domestic dishes? Indochine allows you to experience the food of another culture without going out on a "Bizarre Foods" limb.
We were greeted within moments, by our server who continued to be friendly, very efficient and helpful throughout our visit. The atmosphere of the place is casual and pleasant, with simple, unexceptional decor. This place deserves a return visit - especially since I want to try one of their Pho dishes next time.

• Visited October 2012
New Brunswick, New Jersey
“Must check it out is you are a Vietnamese Noodle Soup lover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

Well, I am!
It is a very cute place, with brightly painted walls and a simple menu. You have several choices in the categories of noodle soups, rice, appetizers, etc. I personally love the traditional Vietnamese noodles (P1 on the menu) and have ordered it half of times I was there.
The price is so reasonable -- $9 (including taxes) for a huge bowl of P1 and even less for the other noodle dishes. It's more than enough for a whole dinner for one person. Even if you order appetizers to share with your friends, it might still turn out cheaper than a sandwich lunch in NYC.

• Visited December 2011
Parsippany, New Jersey
“Real home style VN without pretense”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

This is a neighborhood place with good food and friendly, competent service. The food is homey and comfort oriented, not the fancy french oriented stuff you get in NY and Washington, DC. Interesting clientele, very good service, good food. Go and enjoy.

• Visited December 2011