“Incredible server”
Review of Due Mari

Due Mari
Reserve with OpenTable
Due Mari is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 203 Restaurants in New Brunswick
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Neilson St.
Transit: New Jersey transit - Train (NE Corridor) and bus
Description: Chef Michael White and the Altamarea Group are excited to invite you to Due Mari. Located in the heart of New Brunswick, New Jersey, Due Mari, meaning "two seas" in Italian, opened its doors in September 2008. Due Mari keeping true to its name, features the freshest seafood from around the world and Chef White's authentic Italian cuisine. Upon entering Due Mari, you are greeted by bright blue, aqua and cream tones. Our sleek, vibrant circular bar, located in the center of the restaurant, invites guests to linger with a cocktail or enjoy our full menu. Due Mari is a place to meet family, friends and new acquaintances in a convivial atmosphere. In addition to the freshest Italian seafood, Due Mari's menu also features a wide selection of Chef White's signature handmade pastas and choice grilled meats. The broad range of cuisine, both inland and coastal, covers traditional and modern influences, allowing Chef Michael White and his culinary team an open canvas from which to draw on. Due Mari's seasonal and regional influences can be seen throughout each course of the menu with dishes like the Polipo: grilled octopus, pickled onion, celery, taggiasca olive. Or the Spada: local grilled swordfish, swiss chard, white bean, acqua pazza. The wine list at Due Mari offers guests a varied selection from the major wine regions of Italy. The wines are selected to compliment the cuisine for a harmonious dining experience. Whether they are looking for a well-known treasure or small, boutique wineries, the list provides guests the opportunity to explore Italy's myriad of wine styles. The list also includes selections from France and the United States for guests wishing to enjoy great wines from regions outside Italy. The extensive wine list is complimented by world-renowned mixologist, Eben Freeman's irresistible cocktail and bar list. Due Mari offers private and semi-private dining spaces for any type of event. From corporate functions to personal celebrations, luncheons, and cocktail parties, we're happy to customize all aspects of your event to create a memorable experience. Due Mari is thrilled to be a part of the New Jersey community, alongside our sister restaurant, Osteria Morini in Bernardsville. We look forward to welcoming you.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Our server, John, was extremely well-informed and helpful. He initially explained the daily specials, giving lots of detail. We also had questions on a few of the menu selections and he ably answered all of them. He also made sure that our special requests were honored.
We had gone there for a special occasion (birthday) and were looking for a place that, if dressed up, we wouldn't feel out of place. This definitely fit the bill. Although there was no enforced dress code, the tone was set by professional staff, and most patrons were also dressed in at least business casual attire.
The food was delicious. The vegetable sides were very large (unusual, but very welcome!). My husband enjoyed the oysters (they had 4 varieties available and he was able to choose which ones he wanted in his order). His salmon was perfectly cooked, as was my branzino. The homemade ice cream/gelato was truly flavorful, and I thoroughly enjoyed the dessert.
Although a little pricey (but comparable to other nicer restaurants in this city), we felt that the overall experience was definitely worthy of a "splurge night out". We would dine there again.
The only thing that we wished was different: more seafood choices in a restaurant that suggests seafood in its name.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Food : Amazingly good. Credit goes to the chef for a such a nice dish. All of us ordered different types of food, and it scored top in all areas.

Wine - Tuscany Chardonnay. Loved it/.

Location : Located on main street. Easy to find. Parking could be a problem on weekends.

Price : Pricey. But once in a while worth the price.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I got the pre fixe. It was a bit expensive but the bf insisted we go all out. My calamari was perfectly cooked-- very tender, though it was a bit salty for me. I had the linguine pasta with black linguine. The squid ink taste was very potent and a bit overwhelming if I didn't include a bit of the seafood with every bite. His pasta with the mushroom ragu was excellent. Now for the entrees-- I loved my salmon, but my boyfriend's filet mignon was out of this world! It practically melted in your mouth and was perfectly seasoned. My boyfriend hasn't stopped talking about how that steak was a "real experience." For dessert he has the chocolate-hazelnut cake and I had the custard with lemon rosemary sorbet. Both were very tasty and the sorbet was a wonderful compliment to that sweet custard. The staff was all very friendly too. I sat facing the window so I didn't get a very good view of the restaurant but they did a good job of making our little nook feel intimate. A very good experience.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Excellent pasta and fish. Nice selection at the oyster bar. Great atmosphere in the bar area--especially in the winter time (they have an artificial snow covered tree).

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was in New Brunswick on business and my colleagues recommended Due Mari right across from Hyatt. Despite the restaurant being 3/4ths empty and it was early, 6 pm on a weekend night, I was told that because I was alone, I could only be seated at the bar.

6  Thank m_b_00000