“Great Food, Service & Ambiance”

Catherine Lombardi Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Catherine Lombardi Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 197 Restaurants in New Brunswick
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: George Street
Transit: The restaurant is located a few minute walk from the New Brunswick train station, on the New Jersey Transit - Northeast Corridor line.
New York City, New York
“Great Food, Service & Ambiance”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband took some clients out for dinner and was raving about this place so we went on a Friday for date night. He made a reservation via Open Seating for 7:30pm and were seated promptly. This place would be perfect for business or date night. When you enter there is a swanky bar. When you look into the restaurant there is a magnificent fireplace towards the back. The variety of the seating was well thought out so it doesn't feel crowded even when the restaurant is full. I felt relaxed and ready for a new dining experience.

The wine list is out of this world! It would have taken me all night to get thru it so I just told the waitress the type of wine I wanted and let her make some recommendations. The Manager brought over our wine, welcomed us and pour it for us. He checked back with us a few times during the meal. I really appreciated that kind of attention.

The food was awesome. It's traditional Italian but not heavy. We had the stuffed mushrooms for appetizers. I had the Arugula & Parmigiano-Reggiano salad. My husband had the pear, gorgonzola, pecans and greens salad. The Appetizers were divine. For dinner I had the stiffed calamari with red sauce and spinach. My husband had the eggplant parmigiana. We ordered the very garlic bread. It is just that....very garlic but really good.

For dessert we had tiramisu which is my favorite. It was served in a dessert glass and had a fluffy light texture. I did not want a dessert wine so the waitress recommended an expresso martini. Woo...the combo was excellent!

Neither of us were able to finish our meals (excluding dessert) so we took home a doggie bag. They give you a ticket with a number on it. You give that to the front desk on your way our and they give you the doggie bag. That is perfect for me because I usually leave my doggie bag on the table. Oops. We enjoyed our left overs on Saturday afternoon...and the very garlic bread warms very nicely in the oven.

You can view the menu w/ prices online to see what they offer. The menu does include pricing as well.

Overall, I had a very enjoyable dinning experience and would definitely return to this restaurant. I would push back the reservation to 8 or 8:15pm if you're not going to the theatre. By then the restaurant dies down which heightens the experience.

3 Thank 1TravelBuddy

PA
“Not worth it”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We were looking for a place to have dinner after a show at the State Theater, and made the mistake of going to this restaurant. It looked nice and it was right down the block from the theater. The service was excellent, though everyone was a bit stuffy, like they were doing us a favor by letting us eat there. The food was average at best and their prices are high, which to me means, little value, and not to be visited again.

• Visited November 2013
No. VA
“Very Nice Restaurant”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Lombardi's is a very nice Italian restaurant. The food is very authentic, as well as delicious! We dropped in with a group of 10, but they accommodated us quickly. The service was very good. I'd certainly recommend it!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank mlowder500
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Ok for business meal ideal for anniversary dinner”
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

We walked in on a week day with nine people and they accommodated us. The food was good and all served at the same tone with a flourish that was a nice touch. The price was a bit high. The atmosphere was classic/stuffy. I would recommend it for an anniversary dinner for a couple who has been married a while.

1 Thank Janet B
Westfield, New Jersey
“OK - Just OK”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This restaurant is in a great location for those who would be going to one of the theaters in New Brunswick. It is upstairs above another restaurant. The atmosphere is elegant. However, it becomes very noisy, which is not great for a place trying to be elegant.

The initial service at the front desk is nice and somewhat efficient. However, the during the meal, the service becomes overbearing and interruptive.

The wine list is overwhelming - to the customer and employee! When I asked about certain wines, the waiter admitted not knowing any of them except for the specials and the few offered by the glass, because he bragged that the restaurant had over 1,000 wines. I thought that was bizarre, since who wants a large wine list that no one knows about the wines on the list?

The food is mostly very good. There were two of us for the evening. We shared the pear and gorgonzola salad. It was excellent, not drowning in dressing. We also shared our main dishes, so we could try both. We ordered lamb shank and shrimp scampi over fettuccine. The lamb shank was good. But it was heavy well-done meat with heavy beans and some greens. The shrimp were not high quality - or perhaps just overcooked. The pasta was ok to me. My wife thought it was great.

When we wanted to leave, we had to ask four different people for the check. We asked for the check four times - I am not exaggerating this. It seems the many servers trip over each other and I had to get the manager to get our check. It was very strange, as the experience of trying to get out took at least 15 minutes - much longer than it should have.

Lastly, this is an expensive place. I am not sure it is worth the price.

I suppose if you wish to eat very close to the theaters, you do not have much choice. I have eaten here three times because of the proximity and never had a great eating experience. I would like to try another place next time.

1 Thank Dennis D