“I should have started a class action lawsuit due to bed bug and flea bites”

Motel 6 New Brunswick NJ
Motel 6 New Brunswick NJ
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in New Brunswick
New York City, New York
“I should have started a class action lawsuit due to bed bug and flea bites”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I went to this hotel because I was too tired to drive all the way home after a long day of work in the city. The front desk had a nice enough older lady that I spoke with via phone and she gave me one price. I get there, some rude 30 something Indian guy gives me another price. That was only the beginning.

I go to my room, sat on the bed, and I immediately began to itch. I didn't see anything so I assumed maybe it was the detergent or something, so I stayed. I started washing the emergency clothing I had in my trunk for the next day, and while going back and forth I started to feel bites. Again I saw nothing.

It's about 11:30 pm by this time so I finally got in bed. I got up over and over, turned lights on and off checked under sheets, saw nothing, so I itched and itched until i finally fell asleep around 1am. I woke up out of my sleep in pain at about 3am from a sharp sting. I immediately pulled back the sheets and there were HUGE and tiny tiny bed bugs all over!

I jumped up grabbed and shook out my things to leave immediately and when I went into the bathroom to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything I looked in the mirror and had a huge bite in the middle of my forehead and on my cheek. My arms were bitten horribly, and my socks were spotted with HUGE fleas spotted all over them.

I then put my things in my trunk and called the front desk to tell them the problem. The old man on the phone sounded 100% like he was not surprised by the call, and didn't care at all. I told them I wanted my money back so I could go elsewhere, and he told me I would get NOTHING, and to call the police. The police came and when they saw my face they wouldn't come near me. They called the desk because when they went in the old man refused to come outside, and he told them I wouldn't be getting a penny. The police told me to either stay or go but he wasn't refunding me.

I ended up leaving but there was no way I was taking those things into my home, bad enough they were in my trunk. I found a 24 hour laundry and went to wash then went to a drug store to nurse my wounds and then home.

I called corporate at 8 on the dot. They told me call the owner. I did. Someone call back very concerned and sorry, but it turns out the operator wasn't listening and sent my complaint to new brunswick, GA not NJ. I call again and leave a message with customer service for the owner and nobody calls me back. I finally get the owner about an hour later. The owner was a jerk, never said sorry, never admitted he was having problems with bed bugs or anything. He kept asking why didn't i go to the hospital as if i were lying, and i told him thats not his concern, all he needed to do was refund me. I BECAME FED UP, TOTALLY. i had been as nice and professional as i could. I was told the owner would be there by 10 so I told my spouse to leave work and go with me up there. We arrived there and as soon as owner saw me get out of my car, he got in his car and took off. I walked in alone and some guy was there. He told me hold on the owner, who I just saw leave would be right with me. Nobody came there for 20 minutes. I called and called and no answer I just stood there watching the phone ring. Finally some crackhead looking customer came in and the guy came in, and before he got to the guy, I demanded my money back and I got it, in cash.

I kicked myself for a long time for not following my intuition and leaving immediately. Learn from my lesson and boycott this place. I don't know how to report them to any health boards, but I tried until I gave up. If you know how, I suggest you do too. F+

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Globetrotter19801980

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New York
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Please stay away at all costs. You are better off sleeping in the street, really. It started badly with front desk clerk who's personal hygiene was something I have never experienced. Then got to my room and was overwelmed by the smell. Found that the smell was coming from a chair in the room. I had to put the chair outside. Still more smell. I looked under the bed and found food rotting in a bowl. The front desk people said that there were no rooms available (even though parking lot was empty!) and they said "take it or leave it". I was sick and cold and decided to stay instead of sleep in my car because I had a job interview nearby the next day and really needed some sleep. The parking lot is dangerous and has very shady people loitering there all night. The locks on the doors are weak and can easily be broken. In the middle of the night I heard a loud voice coming from my bathroom. I was terrified and went to investigate if anyone was in my bathroom. I found that the floor of my bathroom had a 1/2 space at the wall and I could see and clearly hear the people in the room below mine! This building should be condemned and the owners locked up for operating an unsafe and unsanitary operation. This hotel belongs in a 3rd world country or a horror movie. How is it even possible that it's allowed to stay open?? Please, please for your safety, STAY AWAY! This was the worst exerience at a hotel ever and I've stayed at some rough ones before!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center
The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Tower Center New Brunswick
Hampton Inn North Brunswick/New Brunswick

Been to Motel 6 New Brunswick NJ? Share your experiences!