“Best barbecue in the area”
Review of Local Smoke BBQ

Local Smoke BBQ
Ranked #3 of 17 Restaurants in Neptune City
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We've been here half a dozen times now and the food has always been excellent. Have had the pulled pork and beef brisket sandwich and both are very good. I'd recommend the baked beans as a side, they are excellent. Cole slaw is OK, collard greens are tastey. Haven't tried the
ribs yet, but looking forward to that.

1  Thank MontyBurnsNJ

Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Came to this restaurant by accident and good thing we did. Tried the ribs by rrcomendation and it was a great choice. Everyone at the table was hapoy with their choices. Even though I was not hungry, I ended up eating everything. Next time I'm around rhe area, will visit again.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

If you're craving BBQ, this is your place. Pulled pork to die for. Honestly, best BBQ chicken I've ever had. Even the sides like mac & cheese, baked beans and chili are awesome. Not cheap, but it's top quality and generous portions. It's primarily a take out place, but has a few tables and a counter you sit at. The staff is really nice, too (gave my toddler a piece of bacon cause he said it smelled yummy).

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We tried Local Smoke based on the reviews here and elsewhere. First time in the area and I knew that the region really isn't known for its barbecue, but we tried it anyway. Should have gone for a seafood place.

The Local Smoke is an interesting little place, and may be worth the visit just because it's a different slice-of-life. However, the barbecue was nothing special. I had a two meat platter with sliced brisket and ribs. Both were edible, but not at all outstanding. The brisket was not all fatty or juicy (which I prefer) and the ribs were absolutely "gnaw-off-the-bone" instead of fall-off-the-bone. I know that ribs can be quite variable from day-to-day and depending on the hour of the day. Maybe all their good ones had already been sold that day - but ours were not very good.

Sides? I had the french fries and the cole slaw. Fries were a frozen product that was not very tasty and the cole slaw was not very flavorable. My colleague had the mac-n-cheese bites and those looked better. We also order the pulled-pork stuffed jalapeño peppers as an appetizer. They were pretty good, probably the best thing we ate that night.

Overall, Local Smoke did not live up to my expectations at all. Maybe my expectations were too high since I tend to sample barbecue joints all over the country. This joint didn't measure up for me (although they had lots of awards on the walls).

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have been to Local Smoke twice in the last two weeks and ordered the pulled pork and ribs platter. The pulled pork was juicy and tasty- in other words -Pulled Pork Done Right. I know why they have won so many BBQ championships. The ribs were sweet and succulent and the meat fell off the bone. The collard greens were better the second time- more vinegary and larger bacon pieces-just the way I like it. The smoked jalapeno poppers were wrapped in bacon and smokey, sweet and delicious. My only complaint with the poppers was that they aren't spicy- hop enough.
The slaw was very good BUT the easiest part of the meal- the Cornbread- was dry and barely warm both times. It had good texture but the cornbread really let down the meal.