“Great hotel! Poor customer service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Wyndham Philadelphia - Mount Laurel
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Mount Laurel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ocean City, Maryland
“Great hotel! Poor customer service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is a hard hotel to rate. The rooms were nice and the amenities were great. It had the potential to be a great stay and quite honestly I was not totally disappointed with the hotel. I have two minor complaints, but ones that I believe could have been remedied by good customer service. My biggest complaint was the front desk customer service. There was a lot happening at the hotel, but the front desk staff was very rude - with the exception of one gentleman. At one point we came down to talk to them. I waited for the one lady at the front desk to finish a phone call, then she said how can I help you. As I began to ask for things she answered the phone again and gave me the wait one minute finger. That was just one of several examples of rudeness and/or poor management as there never seemed to be enough staff to handle all that was going on in the hotel. There was no communication that we would not have access to the club room Friday and Saturday night when we asked to stay at the club level upon booking our room.

My second complaint was that the elevators smelled like smoke. It seemed to me that the maintenance staff smoked in the back supply room and used the elevator which led to a stinky elevator. The rooms were very nice and I feel bad about complaining about this but for a five star hotel it shouldn't happen.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GMTim2014, General Manager at Wyndham Philadelphia - Mount Laurel, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
I am sorry that this was your experience, a fail at customer service 101. We have shared your comments with our desk team to ensure that this does not happen again. I am glad that overall you enjoyed the hotel. We are 100% smoke free for guests and associates so I am not sure why you smelled cigarette smoke in the elevator but I can assure you it did not come from our staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
California, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Spent one night here for meeting up the road. My room had horrible office-style lighting (flourescent) and a strange odor that permeated down to the lobby. There was an ice machine right outside my door (why on earth they positioned it there, I have no idea) so I was awakened a few times during the night by people getting ice. My window faced out to extremely bright, flourescent lights on the hotel building. Fortunately I had thick curtains which helped to shut out the brightness. My room was clean and bed comfortable, but seemed so uncozy, so much like spending the night in an office. They really need to change the decor and lighting so travelers will feel more at home. I did like the staff, very polite. The waiter and waitress in the restaurant (Gigi) were very nice and took extra care to ensure I was waited on.

Room Tip: make sure your room is not next to the ice machine.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am sorry that you found our new lights to be uncomfortable, we are a green hotel and just updated all our fixtures to LED lights, we are making a few changes to the placement of the lights in the room to allow for a balanced illumination.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

As a weekly traveler for business, I am happy to be staying at the Wyndham. Being away from home the staff has treated me well every week. From the time I check in I am greeted happily by Daisy.She makes sure that everything for me is taken care of and if I need anything don't hesitate to call. I have also had a pleasure of dealing with Raquel who is a big help to me if I am needing anything last minute.
Kyle is a big help for the staff if I need anything in my room such as a MICROWAVE. He makes sure I get it in a timely manner and he make sure the lobby is clean and he knows I will let him know.
Ashley the hostess of the restaurant has always had a smile when she has waited or served me ever week she. Keep up the good work staff.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your business. Thank you for recognizing our staff, they really enjoy it as we make sure to celebrate each and every survey.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Should have know what we were in for upon check in. One staff member working the desk with a line backed up into the lobby (which was overpowered by a sickly apple cinnamon smell). Dirty, run down pool, room, and common areas. Power outage with no back up the first morning and no hot water the second. Room not vacuumed or cleaned appropriately. Breakfast and dinner staff were the only highlight. Disappointing. Period.

Stayed April 2014
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and appreciate the feedback but I want to encourage you that no matter where you choose to stay, if you have issues like this ask to speak to a Manager before you leave the hotel. As hoteliers we want to ensure that you are satisfied and we will do whatever it takes to do so. Please call the hotel and speak with a Manager so we can address your issues and make things right.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

The stay was great for what I paid. The staff was courteous and kind. My only gripe with this place would be the aggressive attitudes of the housekeepers early in the morning (granted I did forget to place the do not disturb on the door), but overall, it was a good stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Timothy P, General Manager at Wyndham Philadelphia - Mount Laurel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for the review, we hope to earn a better review score during your next return visit. To ensure your privacy we always recommend that you keep your DND sign on your door unless you would like to receive service, that is how our team is trained to know not to knock on your door.