“Average stay, unreasonable credit card holds”
Review of The Hotel ML

The Hotel ML
Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Mount Laurel
Reviewed May 14, 2012

(I used Priceline to book, and I always wonder how that affects the room assignment.)

The front desk was a bit manic when I checked in. There was a wedding party checking in so much of the attention was directed that way. The gentleman checking me in initially gave me (a single traveler) a room on the first floor with two double beds. I asked to be moved to a room with one bed and somewhere other than the first floor. I was accommodated to the second floor.

Considering there are no in-room amenities I found it annoying that they needed to put a hold on my credit card. Imagine my surprise when I discovered not one but TWO holds (one for $100 and one for $50). I realize that it is par for the course, but the idea that the hotel keeps the hold for more than 5 days following my check-out is an absurd practice.

The hotel room was very warm and stuffy. I was able to adjust the thermostat, but it was run on a fan unit, so it was loud and took quite some time to cool down.

The TV is still on analog. (How is that even possible?)

There was a considerable amount of noise in the hallway well into the night. Kids running and screaming and then adults. The walls/doors are not exactly sound proof.

On a positive note, the bed was comfortable and there were ample pillows. Check out was simple (if only they'd taken the time to remove the hold at check-out). Parking was free.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank PaulusHookJC
thehotelml, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel ML, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

PaulusHookJC,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback as well as some of the frustration you appeared to have during your stay as it pertains to our incidental hold.

I would like to first apologize for the inconvenience. Upon check-in we maintain a standard practice of holding $100 for incidentals during your stay. This may be for an in-room movie purchase, room-service, gift shop etc. If nothing is charge to your room at the end of the stay that $100 is released. We suggest to our guests that incidental hold, which can be found at most hotels, be placed on a credit card, as debit cards take 3-5 days to release-something that is completely dependent on your bank. While we don't have control over how long the hold on your debit card last, we do have signage at our front desk as well as in our registration card.

Once again I apologize for the inconvenience during and after your stay and would like to assure you that we are continuing to verbally communicate this practice to our guests at time of check-in.

Guest Services

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Spent a Saturday and Sunday night in early May on a Priceline reservation ($48+).
Arrived just past midnight as Saturday moved into Sunday and mentioned the horrible reviews given on this sight and was upgraded to the 10th floor Concierge Level.
Both the room and the hotel itself are well built, after all it is a former Marriott.
Room had a balcony and everything was clean and tidy. Included a microwave and mini fridge.
Noise was not an issue either night.
I did not eat at the hotel so I cannot comment on that.
Did use the fitness center and found it to be poorly maintained with pop cans and dirty towels on equipment both mornings. The second morning I clean up since no hotel staff obviously was going to do it.
Business Center had two computers, only one of which worked.
Monday morning on the Concierge Level there is to be complimentary coffee, juice, fruit and pastries in the 10th floor lounge from 7a-10a. At least from 7a to 9a there was no one staffing the lounge and the coffee machine was broke and their were no pastries.
It is obvious that this hotel's problems all relate to adequate staffing. The staff they do have are actually quite good but there are not enough of them to cover all the bases.
The hotel makes a bundle on the weekend family water park folks. During the week I don't think they take in too much money and therefore cannot afford to adequately staff the hotel.
I wish them well as they try to make a go of it and would start by suggesting a new hotel sign out front instead of the big white sheet that is now there with ML Hotel written on it.

Room Tip: As others have mentioned, especially on weekends, ask for an upper floor room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo

DavidPortland,

Thank you for sharing the details of your stay, we very much appreciate the feedback.

I'm glad to hear you were able to enjoy our room accommodations, newly opened concierge lounge and the friendliness of our staff. I would however like to apologize about the missing items in the concierge. We recently just re-opened the concierge, and while that is no excuse, it appears there were kinks that needed to be worked out. With that said, I'm happy to report the the concierge lounge is up and running very smoothly.

I'm also happy to share with you the new signage in place. While you visited, the signage you witnessed was a temporary solution until our 2 new, beautiful and bright signs were raised. One of these signs were installed last week and we hope the second one will be up by the end of this week.

Again, I would like to thank you for your time. We hope you will visit us again during your next visit to Southern New Jersey.

Guest Relations

Reviewed May 7, 2012

The BEST part of our hotel stay was bidding blind on Priceline. I have never been disappointed with this, as long as you specify the EXACT area and the EXACT star level, and no other, where you want a hotel. We got this room with a king bed and balcony for $50! (plus the Priceline fee) when it normally books for $149. Now that's a bargain. It is a former Marriott hotel and now independent. I was concerned with some of the negative reviews but noted that the hotel responded to each TripAdvisor issue. There are no bugs and it is not "the worst hotel in NJ".

Room Service dining was outstanding, and extremely filling and tasty. The operator immediately answered the phone when I called to place my order. You do need to give a $100 credit card deposit when you check in but it is promptly refunded at the end of your stay. Excellent access to Interstate 295. We spent the night because we were attending a convention in Cherry Hill. We would stay here again - especially at that price!

Room Tip: I read the other reviews and asked for a room on a high floor, away from the water park, with a refr...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

gaylfeb1,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel; we very much appreciate your feedback.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our accommodations, convenient location and room service. We recently had a soft launch of re-branded our restaurant, Talia's, and newly developed menu. We are also extremely pleased that you will be staying with us again, during your next visit to the area.

During your next visit we hope that you will provide us the opportunity to make your reservation by call 856.234.7300. We will be happy to assist with your reservations and accommodate your needs.

Guest Relations

Reviewed May 2, 2012

OK I came to this place for business for a few days but checked out and went next door to the Weston. Does this place know what it wants to be? Its either a hotel or a kids halfway house. The rooms suck, the staff tries but there are not enough of them, there are kids everywhere and parents who don't care. Of course the staff can't stop them. I couldn't even get a drink at the bar without a crap load of kids running in and out of the bar to talk to their parents. One kids had on no shoes, dropped a glass and it took for the manager to ask them to put shoes on him for it to occur to them that having a kid running around barefoot might be dangerous. What the hell are kids doing in a bar anyway? I complained and the manager wished he do something but it was obvious his hands we're tied so he just offered me a drink on him so I wouldn't be too upset. My room was hot as hell, nobody could fix it, the calimari tastes fake, the kids are hell, you pass the damn place 3 times before you realize where it is, and the ghetto clientele they let in the place seems to draw all the cheap families that couldn't afford to go to Disney world. Never again.

Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank richard o
Reviewed April 24, 2012

This is our second stay at this hotel. This is the first time under new management and we were very happy as we were the first time. The hotel was fully booked as there were a few large events at the time of our stay but we were checked in within minutes! The hotel rooms are clean and comfortable. We asked for a fridge and it was there when we arrived. I requested an early check in and the room was ready when we arrived well before check in time. Personell was friendly and efficient. Check out was just as speedy.
The beds have down comforters which is a rare find at this rate.
We never ate at the restaurant as there are so many great places around so i cannot rate it.
We also did not go to the waterpark. We tried it on our last visit and find our kids too young for it. They are both under the age of 4. It looked like much fun though and is guarded very well for safety of the kids.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Joyce V
thehotelml, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel ML, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Joyce V,

I'm happy to hear you and your family were able to enjoy quality time together at our hotel. We work hard to ensure that each of our guests have a clean, comfortable and welcoming experience, and it seems as though we were able to provide you with just that.

Thank you for taking the time to comment of your stay. I will be sure to share with management and staff your overall pleasant experience. We hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

First of all they are short on staff! We had to wait like 35 minutes on a line to check in. The rooms were not the best...you should consider staying at a hotel nearby...they have better rooms. The water park is for very young kids, under 10. The water park is too small, not even worth the price. And once you turn in your keys you have to make the line again to get a receipt! What a nightmare! Not even my kids want to go back!

Room Tip: You will hear noise from any room. You will not get a good sleep. Too noisy and thin walls.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Veranito04

Veranito04,
We have a truly unique facility where families can enjoy a 55,000 sq. ft. indoor water park during the day and spend quality alone time in their rooms in the evening. Unfortunately it sounds as though there were a couple of things that kept you from enjoying your entire stay and I would like to apologize for that.

It seems as though your trip started off on the wrong foot and I hope you will provide us with another opportunity to host your family's next tropical getaway. Please reach out to me directly at any time to coordinate.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

We began our weekend away by waiting 30 minutes in line at the front desk. The room was large, but had a dirty feeling. Room service trays cluttered the halls and the the faucets were backwards. The waterpark was the real reason we went and it was quite a nightmare, to say the least. There are hundreds of unsupervised children running about. It seems as though the management has allowed parents to believe that the lifeguards are babysitters, but I'm quite sure that a kid could be floating at the bottom of the lazy river and the lifeguards would be too busy disciplining children to notice. If your going to spend the money on a weekend away go to Lake George, NY, the indoor waterpark is worth the drive and price.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Erika V
thehotelml, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel ML, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Erika V,

First and foremost I would like to touch on the safety of our park and the performance our lifeguards. I am proud to share with you our latest Ellis audit score of Exceeds, meaning our lifeguards hit each visual, skill, VAT and scenario perfectly.

As for the challenges you met during your stay, I would like to apologize. It sounds as though business levels during the school break week hindered your experience and for that I am sorry. We are putting plans in place for our next school break to address some of these challenges. We very much appreciate your business and hope you will provide us the opportunity to show you the changes that we've made. Please feel free to reach out to me personally to coordinate.