All reviews full kitchen ihg group cooking utensils sized refrigerator wrong room studio suite front desk staff were friendly new jersey safe location bed was comfortable coffee maker fresh towels large room would definitely stay here again plenty of parking one night stay recliner
Reviewed February 27, 2018

I apologize for the late review. I'm finally catching up on my reviews. Check in was fine and easy but I was disappointed with this particular Candlewood Suites. This hotel needs serious attention. Although the hotel has been remodeled at some point in the last years and the room decor is overall nice, I have stayed at too many Candlewood Suites in the past that were nothing short of excellent, but this one fell seriously short of my expectations and there are several areas that need attention. Next time I visit NJ, I will stay at Staybridge Suites.
First, let's start with the room. I ordered a one bedroom suite, with a couch bed. Please keep in mind that the other Candlewoods that I have stayed at with couch beds in the room, were updated and comfortable. This one, not so much. The mattress was so old, thin and just plain horrible and the pillows provided were so flat, they looked to be 10 years old. I went to the front desk to ask for another blanket and a couple extra pillows so I could try to build the bed up to make it slightly comfortable. The Lady at the front desk, ( I forget her name) simply declined me. She just said, sorry, we only provide two pillows and one blanket and that it was hotel policy and there was nothing that she could do to help me and basically dismissed me. It was cold in NJ when I arrived and I hate being cold, but cannot stand a hotel room to have to be heated up so hot to make up for the lack of blankets provided. The reason that I needed extra pillows was to build the terrible couch bed up enough to be able to sleep on it. So after returning to my room without any extra blankets and pillows, I just decided to suck it up and try to sleep on the couch bed, to no avail. I could not get comfortable and the bar in the middle of the bed hurt my back. Well, I got up and left the room to go walk around and not wake up the other member of the room. I guess the shift changed and a new front desk associate was there and the other was not. I was coming past the front desk and the night front desk associate asked me how my stay was going. I informed her of the other associate completely turning me down for an extra blanket and a couple pillows and she was actually blown away. She agreed that this is the hotel policy but everyone's needs are different and she would certainly give me what I asked the other associate for. She was awesome and so sweet and nice which was really needed as my Father had just passed and that was the reason for my stay there. I so wish that I remembered her name to give her the proper recognition for her excellent customer service. The original associate that turned me down must have been having a bad day or something but was just not very pleasant. I've been in the service industry most of my life and I would have never treated one of my Customers like this, regardless of what mood I may have been in. I did not spend much time there as I was attending Family functions and the funeral.
With regards to the bathroom, one of my biggest pet peeves is visibly seeing other Guests hair all over the bathroom and this was certainly the case here. I was so tired after driving for 14 hours straight, that I just took a towel and swept it away from my sight. There was hair stick all over the walls and fixtures and completely grossed me out. There is a simple fix to this problem. Some more attention to detail with regards to the housekeeping department and a Managers oversite and visual inspection after the room is marked is clean would be great. I will never understand why housekeeping does not run a vacuum cleaner over the tile or wood surfaces as a final step of cleaning the room. I am forever finding other Peoples hair in the bathroom sink, toilet, tub, walls or all of them combined and this happens regularly. A simple quick pass of a small vacuum would eliminate this problem. There were a couple other things that were relatively minor so I will not mention them. I will generally let the front desk know of these things but will not air them on social media because most of the time, they are just maintenance issues that are most likely being worked on. Cleanliness is my number one requirement when renting a hotel room. The other Candlewood Suites that I have stayed at had the pantry nicely stocked with an array of drinks, snacks, hot drinks among other edibles. This hotel, not so much. Seemed very limited, like the budget was maxed out and they had to cut corners. It could simply be a cheap franchise owner. This is why I am not faulting IHG because it has to be hard to keep up with the quality of their franchise owners since they have so many brands and hotels across the world. IHG is my choice when traveling because, as my past reviews have stated, they are a really great brand and I have seen them really step it up in the recent years with so many complete remodels, so I give IGH Corporate a big thumbs up for providing so many brand choices to meet most everyone's budget. There really isn't much more to tell as there are no other amenities to mention. There are kitchens to cook food in but no breakfast choices in the pantry that are not just prepackaged items, so you will have to eat meals off-site. Most Candlewoods are like this because of the kitchen's they offer in the rooms and this certainly has its place for me as I sometimes have to stay in hotels for weeks or months at a time with my job. So here is my review of this hotel. I really hope that they improve, but I will not be returning to this Candlewood unless they change some of the problems that I dealt with.

Room tip: Beware of the rooms with a couch bed. They are terrible.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank Michael T
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia - Mt. Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2018

Michael T,

Hello from Candlewood Suites Philadelphia-Mt. Laurel, we appreciate your feedback. I'm glad you found our hotel's location to your liking and the service level provided by the second Front Desk on duty positively affect your stay. On the downside, I'm sorry our rooms' overall upkeep and the condition of the beds fell short of your expectations. It's also sad to learn that the initial Front Desk personnel who you raised your concerns to missed to leave a positive impression.

Once more, we apologize for the inconvenience the situations you described caused and our deepest condolences for your family's loss. Your detailed review has been shared with the team to remind us to always put our best foot forward and ensure that the services we offer are up to standard. On behalf of the staff, I hope you find your way back soon for a chance to make your next experience more positive than the last.

Kindest regards,

Jillian I

Reviewed January 26, 2018

Room was georgeous people were nice...location was convenient...HOWEVER....I was able to reserve my hotel room online without a deposit....GREAT!!! Cuz I don't use credit cards ....Nope cuz guess what?? they dont take cash ...well they do but not till after u pay for it with a credit card ...stay your time ...and then go to check out ....then they refund ure money to ure card which could take up to who knows how long and then u can pay them in cash......what???? Come on!!!! They refuse to let you prepay in cash they want a credit card on file .....ok ok I get it it's cuz they don't want me trashing the room or stealing stuff and not being able to recoup ...but guess what I could go buy a prepay credit card with my cash!!!! Just for the amount of the room and they would accept that and then that card woukd be useless to them cuz it was a prepay ....SO WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE! !!!!....HERE'S THE DIFFERENCE .....I had to walk to wawa in November on one of the coldest days of the year ...windchill factor was near 0°and it was about 15° out and wawa was 2 miles away ...I was smart and got an uber back but when all was said and done I had to pay the uber 10 bucks and I had to pay 5.95 for the prepay card ....so I'm not sure if the room being a good price in a good location and being a nice room outweighs their lack of ability to take cash before I stay ....or at least they could have that posted on the website that they don't take cash but wait they do....o gosh im confused...

Room tip: Apparently they let animals stay in this hotel so make sure ure not near an animal
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia - Mt. Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2018

Hi Jennifer R,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to leave a review of your most recent hotel experience. I appreciate the positive remarks regarding our hotel's proximity and room accommodation. Although, I am sorry you experienced inconvenience with the reservation process. IHG hotel rates may range from a deeply discounted rate with requirements, such as prepayment or cancellation fees, to a non-restricted rate that allows more flexibility for cancellation, without penalty. Our goal is to offer different rates so guests can choose the best rate for their travel plans. Kindly know that many IHG hotels are franchised, meaning they are independently owned and operated. As hotels determine their own rates, they also determine their own reservation policies, based on local demand and business practices.

I am thankful for your honest comments and have forwarded this matter to the appropriate department to be addressed appropriately to ensure a positive experience for our future guests.

Again, thank you for letting us know how we are doing. We certainly hope we have the opportunity to serve you again.

Best,

Zel N.

Reviewed December 3, 2017

For this is a review that was kind of difficult to figure out what star number to give and I will explain why.

This decision was much larger than just this location and a room, I am going for the bigger picture here on this review as I always try to stay true to the overall experience.

I had stayed at the IHG family hotels for 3 months in the recent past in another state for business, I did joined rewards program and acquired enough points to achieved their highest membership status (elite spire), that made me happy and quite positive that I was going to stick to this choice of hospitality brand for my future needs, not only to keep my perks as a Elite but also because of their services, based on the previous experience. now, hold that thought because today, in this stay it all changed.

As I came to this particular location here in Mount Laurel I noticed that this location have a lot to work on, attention to detail is the biggest issue in this location.

My first impression was not as great as I anticipated, this location has no proper lobby, it almost feels like a little standing area with a bank like window area where you do your check in and get your room key. there is no guest lobby to hangout with TVs and couches as I was getting used to from the other brach I had visited, this location was very rude awakening to me.

Right after checking in I proceeded to my room as well as looked around for the amenities. very little from what I saw was a positive on the amenities department.

- their gym is larger than many other hotels I have stayed in the past and that was great. they also have some great machines.

- the laundry is complementary, you won't find that at most hotels neither.

- their WI-FI is very user friendly and quick to log in, also it works great.

- the rooms are very well decorated and have full kitchen and full size fridge

- great size tv and bed.

- they have a cabinet where there are additional kitchen appliances for borrowing, things like blender and such.

- the staff was super friendly and helpful

Now the above are the positives, I gathered those in the first impression as I checked in and went into my room things started to turn 180 degrees....

here are the things I started noticing at a second glance and to me they were the deal breaker here.

- the gym and the laundry are in the same room, very awkward to workout while ppl come in and out from laundry, also in the same room the coffee machine and some to buy foods are there, to me this was a strange set up.

- my room door did not open not close properly, the door lock system was really stuck on locked position and required me to push to get in and slam the door to close on my way out.

- found several handles and small furniture broken (showing poor maintenance)

- I found and killed a ROACH inside my room.

NOW HERE IS THE KICKER:

The next day, after I left the room and came back, there was no housekeeping service, I proceeded to the front desk to ask why the room was not serviced, the concierge proceeded to tell me that for "privacy" (laziness of the hotel) they do not service stays that are less than 8 nights!

Since I had a 2 nights stay I SHARED MY ROOM WITH THE DEAD ROACH.

I did tell him about the roach and still nobody came to even just take the roach.

now my overall is:

the "ELITE SPIRE" proved to be no perk to me, even though they declare in their website that I am eligible to room upgrades I was never offered one, nor they mentioned about it. the elite status was so not important to them that I even got to share the room with an insect, which is a health hazard to me, but hey... who cares.

another fun detail about the elite status, you only hold it for a calendar year and then after that if you did not remake the same amount of point that got you the status in the first place you go back to regular status, basically this branch of hotels is not worth the loyalty for the points, after what happened to me I will never come back to any of their locations unless there is nowhere else to go.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank 502ericaf
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia - Mt. Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2017

Hi 502ericaf,

Thank you for your stay and taking the time to write a review of our hotel. It is to know that you appreciate some of our amenities and facilities. However. I'm sorry to read that the cleanliness of your room fell below par on this occasion. Please allow me to follow up on your concerns and have the opportunity to regain your faith in us. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain additional information.

We value you as an IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite member and looking forward to your response.

Christian C.

Reviewed October 26, 2017

The rooms are old and out of date. The furniture is scuffed up and needs replacing. I was in a room on the 3rd floor where the outside light shined in the room and the window covering couldn't block it out. The fridge in my room was so noisy it kept waking me up. I ask for another room but was told it wasn't available. At check out at 0230 hours I had to wait for a desk clerk, when she arrived she was talking to me with a mouth full of food and I could barely understand her. She couldn't check me out because she hadn't reconciled from the day yet. I checked out a day early from here because I couldn't stand it anymore. Being there are several other hotels close by I would recommend that you stay at one of them instead of here.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank trackemdown
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia - Mt. Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2017

Hello trackemdown,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. I am sorry for the inconvenience our room condition may have caused you and appreciate all your renovation suggestions. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed September 24, 2017 via mobile

My husband & I are retired and travel a lot so we look for comfort,  convenience and a good value in our hotel stays.

Check in was fast, efficient &  very friendly. The room was so clean & spacious. The bed was comfortable & made with good quality linens. Bathroom towels were thick & fluffy.

The hotel looked well maintained. The heating/AC unit allows you to set your desired temperature instead of having to guess how far to turn the knob.

Having a kitchen equipped with a reasonable amount of dishes & cooking utensils was a really nice plus.

Both sides of the bed has outlets available so finding power for cell phones, etc. was not a problem.

The TV was mounted on a wall so
contortions were not necessary to work the remote.

While not super convenient to find, there are several places to eat & a grocery store within easy drive distance.

The hotel was reasonably priced especially since we could cook in for some meals. It was very comfortable & had great (free) laundry & exercise facilities. Overall, this hotel is a very good value.  We will definately consider staying here if ever in the area again.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank pamc237