“Great Hotel ...would stay again”

Candlewood Suites Philadelphia - Mt. Laurel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Mount Laurel
new york
“Great Hotel ...would stay again”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed 2 nights for the Memorial Day weekend and would stay again, reception staff very friendly. Loved the setup of the room: two burner stove, fridge and coffee pot, pots, dishes and flatware. Downstairs a free laundry room for guests along with snacks you can purchase (based on the honor system (video surveillance in area, but still a great idea.

An only comment is that check-in was a little chaotic. The two receptionists seemed flustered and a little unorganized with phones and checking in guests, misplaced confirmations, and guest room key not working. They should have a better system, especially for the front desk.

Had a wonderful stay and already booked my room for my next visit in July.

Room Tip: Always try and stay in a upper floor. Don't have any noise of anyone above you.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank sandyp1017

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This morning when I woke up at the Candlewood Suites Hotel, to my horror there were 2 bed bugs crawling next to me on the comforter. Quick side note: This hotel has a thin sheet over the comforter, so I didn't even notice that the comforter had an array of different colored stains on it until this morning.

Upon seeing the bedbugs, I called the front desk and asked to speak to a manager. The manager (Erica I think she said her name was) came up to my room. I had watched one of the bed bugs and was able to point him out to her. She gave me some story about how she needed to have an engineer check it out or whatever. As two adult women, we both knew darn well that was a bed bug. I offered my phone number so she could call me to apologize (after the supposed "engineer" confirmed our findings) or at least tell me if I should burn my luggage before taking it home.

I was honest with her and I told her that if I hadn't heard back from her about the situation that I was going to write a review on Trip Advisor because I would want to know if someplace where I was considering staying had bugs that I might take home and infect my house with. I have not heard from her and she basically gave me the "do what you have to do" attitude and made no attempt to correct the situation.

Other findings:

- There were several pieces of paper/tissues under one of the shelves on the entertainment stands
- The soap dish in the shower wasn't cleaned and had blue goo (spilled shampoo from a previous guest?) all over it
- The dirty bed sheets I mentioned earlier
- The hardwood floor by the door had not been swept and was gritty
- Management is disinterested
- Random musky smells throughout the hotel

I stay in hotels throughout the mid-Atlantic every weekend and am an IHG Priority Member. I have never had an experience like this weekend at Candlewood. If you're looking for a hotel, there are a plethora of others in the area. I would absolutely avoid this one.

2 Thank TracyVegan
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia - Mt. Laurel, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear TracyVegan,

Thank you for being one of our IHG Rewards Club Members. We welcome feedback especially from our valued guests like you.

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience, unfortunately, your account settings do not allow us to send you a Private Message. You are welcome to reach out to our Guest Relations via email at IHGCare@ihg.com or you may send us a Private Message through TripAdvisor to IHGCare including reference to your TripAdvisor Account Name so we can follow up on your experience.

Once again, thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O

Travelers are raving about these Mount Laurel hotels

lancashire
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed 2 nights and would stay again, reception staff very friendly and gave us good tips on where to eat in Philadelphia

Room good with cooker, fridge and coffee making pot, downstairs a free laundry room for guests which was great for us as we had been on the road for several days

Just a short drive to the local train station that takes you straight into the city centre

No restaurants on site so eat before you return

Good value, clean and comfy rooms with free Wi-Fi

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be good and quiet
farmington Hills, mi
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This could have been a great stay in this lovely facility....but... There is an allergy in my family to feathers and down. It's serious enough to result in a hospitalization if it exits in a hotel room. We require all feathers and down pillows and bedding to be removed and replaced with non-allergenic bedding. Most hotel chains understand but some hotels don't get it. Even though we pre-notified this hotel of the issue, nothing was done prior to our arrival and, when we arrived there was not a single non-allergenic pillow in the entire hotel. We had to make do with skimpy decorative pillows. What a shame! We'll never stay at this brand again and will tell everyone we know about this failure. Staff was very apologetic and pleasant, but it was still a lousy night's sleep.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia - Mt. Laurel, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear Scribiner,

We appreciate your time in writing a detailed review about your experience. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into.

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not what you expected. It appears that better judgment could have been made in assigning your room. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience the pillows have caused you. We regret that this aspect has negatively impacted your overall experience and prevented you from enjoying your stay with us.

If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty. We hope you give us a chance to host you the next time you are in the area.

Tracy V.
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I had been in the area for one night, really I was surprised by the quality of the room and staff, it was over my expectation, however I advise this suite for many reason: pleasant helpful staff, clean suite, reasonable price, free excellent internet, free laundry and cheap snack

Reviewed April 20, 2014

The room was huge and very clean, walls are thick in comparison to other hotels, I stayed here 3 nights and didn't get woken up once from noise, plenty of parking lot parking. All the restaurants, movie theaters, shopping centers are located no more than 2-5 miles away, Philadelphia about 15-20 mins ride, staff is great, helpful and friendly. Very happy with my stay.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Morgulets
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I am writing this review from my hotel room at the Candlewood Suites. I decided to stay here due to the great rate I got. What I like about the hotel is the little kitchenette in the room but that is where my likes end. The room itself has this horrible order when you walk in and even with the window open it doesn't go away. Also being on the 2nd floor, when the person above my rooms walks about it sounds like they are going to come through the roof. Also I learned you don't get maid service every day either. Although this place isn't terrible, for me I will choose to stay elsewhere when I return to the area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia - Mt. Laurel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Cruisedave,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the noise, room condition and the housekeeping schedule. We will look into this concern. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.