“Great Chile Rellenos” 5 of 5 bubbles

El Azteca
Ranked #9 of 116 Restaurants in Mount Laurel
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Port St. Lucie, FL
“Great Chile Rellenos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

The Chile Rellenos were some of the best we have had. Great service and very friendly staff. Another plus - bring your own Margarita bottle since they don't serve alcohol. They'll set you up with the glasses and ice! Recommend it!

• Visited August 2013

Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Authentic Mexican Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

El Azteca in Mount Laurel is a little local restaurant that we have eaten at many times over the years they have been in business. The food is always very fresh and tastes fantastic! It is a very good value as everything is very reasonably priced. The staff are always very friendly and provide excellent service. It is the best Mexican restaurant with authentic Mexican food!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank 688SusanG688
Annapolis, Maryland
“Kind of a hole in the wall type Mexican place.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were staying in a hotel nearby while participating in a large soccer tournament. I try to stay away from chain restaurants so decided to look on TA for a restaurant close to our hotel that would appeal to my kids. The Route 73 corridor seems a bit depressed with lots of shuttered restaurants and businesses so we didn't have a lot of options. We decided to give this place a go despite mixed reviews on TA. We come from an area with a large Latino population that has many shabby restaurants but very good, authentic food so that's what we were hoping to find here. And it was a bit shabby for sure, but absolutely packed when we arrived around 7:30pm on a Friday night. We were able to get seated right away, but it was obvious our waiter was very busy. We were starved after being in the car for several hours, having not eaten since lunchtime. We had to wait a bit for a basket of chips and salsa, then when we asked for a refill, it never came. We couldn't even catch our waiter's eye for a long time. Chips were good as was the salsa - a little bit of heat, but not too much for my boys. My 12 y/o ordered soft beef tacos which he really liked. My 10 y/o ordered nachos with beef and cheese. He's a bit picky when it comes to things being in his meat, so I asked the waiter if there was anything in the meat - he said only onions, but cut up so small he won't notice. Well, he was wrong. There were chunks of something green (either peppers or jalapeños, I didn't taste it) as well as lots of onions. There was so much meat on the nachos that they were soggy. He tried to eat a bit of it, scraping away the green things, but there was just too much onion and pepper/jalapeno for him. Now, it would have been fine for someone who isn't picky and had I not specifically asked, it wouldn't have bothered me but his meal was basically a waste of $9. I can't remember what my dish was called, but it was four enchiladas with a green sauce. It was supposed to be topped with refried beans but I asked not to have them on top, a request that was granted. However, I couldn't see or really taste much of the green sauce. The chicken was flavored well but cut into chunks rather than shredded, which was fine except that it was a bit dry. It was a huge portion (I knew going in I wouldn't eat four enchiladas but that is how it came). While the meal definitely filled us up (except my younger son), it was just okay in terms of taste. The service left a little to be desired. While the waiter was friendly enough, it was clear that he had too many tables. It took forever to get our bill and once our food was delivered, he never came back until I flagged him down to get the bill.

I didn't happen to notice whether they serve alcohol but I'm assuming not. I saw several people bring in their own beer and bottles of alcohol, so I'm assuming they don't sell it. It didn't matter to me as I wasn't drinking, but something to note for those of you who might want to BYOB.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Shabby inside, shabby food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

The place is falling apart. Needs a serious makeover. The ceilings are stained and coming down, the tables are worn andnhave a dirty sheen to them. The beef nachos were tasteless and the queso congrijo which is supposed to be a cheesy dip was runny like a soup. You're supposed to dip chips into it but it was so thin everything ran off.
Was very disappointed.

Visited July 2013
Harrisburg, PA
“Best Mexican I've Had in a Long, Long Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Ate here with my son after a pole vault camp. It was amazing. Tons of delicious food, all perfectly prepared. It started with fresh, hot tortilla chips and a salsa that was just the right amount of spicy. I then ordered the biggest combo dish they had on the menu (for $15.95, one of the highest priced items they had), and it was amazing. Everything was fresh, obviously home-made, and awesome. Service was prompt and unintrusive. Soccer and baseball on TV but without the blaring sound you hear many places, which made conversation easy. If you want an inexpensive, filling, and delicious Mexican meal in an inviting setting, go to El Azteca.

• Visited July 2013