“Great for the money only minor drawbacks”

Staybridge Suites Philadelphia - Mt Laurel
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Mount Laurel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Great for the money only minor drawbacks”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Let me start out by saying the rooms, property and the grounds are first rate. They have free hot breakfasts daily and free minor dinner-like selections Tues, Wed., and Thursday. The area location is great if you have business in Philly and want to avoid staying in downtown Philadelphia (which I wanted to avoid). You have several great restaurants in the area and a few within walking distance. They even have a free gym in the immediate area (for all guests) because their gym on property is so dilapidated. Let me get to my few concerns and this first one I feel should be addressed corporately. I stayed at this property for close to four weeks. Since their suites have FULL kitchens, alot of guests stay for an extended period of time. Many of the guests will cook their own meals in order to maintain healthy diets. The only problem with this is the trash bins in the rooms are SO SMALL (they are small, desk, decorative "cans"!!), there is not enough room for daily trash (which is ludicrous). Moreover, there are NO trashbins in the hallways or even the stairways (if a decorative trashbin is too much for their hallways). You really have to experience this to believe it!!! I was told by the GM of the hotel that it was corporate policy that any type of trash bin was unacceptable in the hallways and stairways. Well ...... where do you put your daily trash?? The agreement we finally worked out was to call the front desk and tell them that the trash container was full, tie up the plastic bag, and leave it outside my room. I did this almost EVERY night. It got to be a real pain to do this, instead of having a kitchen sized bin that could be emptied each day by housekeeping. The other problem is that there are NO trash cans outside either!!! When you park your car at the end of the day in their lot, try finding a trash can anywhere on the property where you can thow out the trash from your car. THERE ARE NO TRASH BINS ANYWHERE (there are smoking ashtrays though!!!). I know this may seem minor to some, but it is VERY NON FUNCTIONALand frustrating for long term guests and should be addressed at the corporate level.

As for the staff, they are VERY polite and courteous, but as some prior comments have stated (see poor service comments), more than HALF the front desk staff is EXTREMELY limited. I don't want to mention names because I don't want to embarrass anyone. Again, you have to experience this to believe it!! The front desk personnel in question are very presentable and overly courteous, but as some would say, "the elevator never gets to the top floor" with these individuals. They had an extreme problem getting my IMPORTANT daily faxes to me each night and the GM Mr. Patel sincerely tried to rectify it. After repeatingly failing to have my faxes delivered (especially after one non-delivery cost me dearly), Mr. Patel bought me dinner at a nearby restaurant (Season's 52 in Cherry Hill) which I sincerelyappreciated. He told me he is actively trying to overcome his front desk situation and he knows he has issues.

In summary, the hotel is a first rate property with issues that you can choose to ignore (they just affected me with the length of my stay and my daily need to be in contact with the front desk). If you do need assistance with anything during your stay, Mr. Patel (the GM), would be a great contact to have with his sincerity and helpful personality.

Room Tip: Corner rooms. Do not get a room on the ground floor if you have pet allergies. This is a hotel tha...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kirby B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

3 adults and 2 kids staying in one room is not easy but our suite has 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms. So if someone needs a break we just go into separate rooms. There's the usual wear of the place but it's very nice. Housekeeping keeps us well stocked with clean towels and the bathroom essentials. The crib was set up and ready to go, the air conditioner keeps us nice and cool, and the coffee maker is clean. All issues we had at another hotel. The staff has been very helpful and polite. There's free coffee all night and the ladies that prepare the breakfast buffet keep it well stocked, clean, and nicely presented. Would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Lumberton, New Jersey
Reviewed October 2, 2012

People at the front desk are disorganized, unqualified and seem to be untrained. Some of the Housekeeping ladies were terrible. One day, I left my medication on the night stand and after the “cleaning”, I found it on the floor behind the night stand. I was nervous because I thought I lost it. In another time, my wife left her coffee cup on the night stand and after the "cleaning", the cup fell on the floor and missed up the carpet.
Staybridge is nice hotel but the one in Mt. Laurel is not recommended. I would not stay there again even if the reward program is good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank red m
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Philadelphia - Mt Laurel, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear red m,

Thank you for taking the time to write our hotel a review. I am pleased that our room accommodations were good enough for your needs. I am sorry that you encountered some issues with our front desk and housekeeping staff. I will address this issue with the staff to ensure similar incidents could be avoided. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best means of improving guest services.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reinholds, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have been staying at this Staybridge location 2 to 3 times a week over the past few months due to business travel. The rooms are clean, and service is great. The individuals at the front desk are always pleasant. Sarah, one of the front desk attendants is always full of energy, and helpful. This is a great hotel, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Leyland,England
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed 27th & 28th Sept, 2012 as we were touring the area. After a long day navigating New York traffic we were tired and hungry. On arrival found free Pizza and salad available which was a welcome treat. Apparently on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, between 5 and 7pm, there are free 'eats' We had a queen studio suite which was equipped with everything we needed and was clean and comfortable. Staff very helpful and contributed to an enjoyable stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed here 9/20-9/23/12. Our accommodations (Queen studio suite) were clean and comfortable, although road and hallway noises could be heard when the AC unit wasn't running. Desk staff was very helpful with printing directions to places we wanted to visit.

The hotel's breakfast buffet was a little nicer on weekdays than weekends, exhibiting a favor for business travelers over leisure travelers. Scrambled eggs on the weekend were obviously the powdered type rather than the "real McCoy" that was served on weekdays. One of the waffle machines was not working for 3 of the days during our stay, causing a customer back-up that was rather lengthy on weekends with all the families in residence. It took a long time for staff to put up an "Out of Order" sign the first day. Also, it would be helpful if management would post written instructions on the wall above the waffle machines for travelers who have never used one before - I demonstrated to several people in line after me how to spray the surface, add batter and rotate the machine then wait for a beep to signal their waffle was ready.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor, away from the elevator. There are no ice machines since each room has a re...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 23, 2012

stayed here last year while visiting family and used it again this past week. Found out this time they even have free laundry, what a deal. If you are traveling by car bring your laundry detergent or stop at a walmart or target so you have what you need. Everyone is very helpful and pleasant, room has a sofa and small kitchen so you have everything you need. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family