“horrible hampton”

Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Mount Laurel
new england
“horrible hampton”
Reviewed June 25, 2010

I too had a terrible time trying to pay cash in fact they don't accept cash till check out by which time they have already charged your debit card so you would be paying twice. i do not use credit cards. winston,behind the desk informed me you can't rent a car with cash!why he brought that into the conversation i don't know and of course,you can. winston and his cohort behind the desk appeared to have been trained by some theatrical school based on gesticulating wildly and shouting.he would not accept cash payment and hilton had no control over the franchise owner he told me.he called hilton and informed me and everyone else in the lobby he would not check me in till he got off the phone.a nightmare,he huffed,he puffed and was in no way helpful.i gave up trying to pay cash.i was tired after a long journey.we were due to stop there on our return, i cancelled the reservation.i'll stay in another hotel chain.a letter will be sent to hilton management and the franchise owner. how about this mt laurel, i check in give you cash(so you're covered for the room plus whatever you need for incidentals and in the morning you give me the incidental money back) also this hotel has no express check out. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank tiquer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Fredericksburg Va
Reviewed June 4, 2010

When I made our reservation I used a debit card. Upon check in I used my credit card. Both cards were charged despite the fact that my debit card was NEVER physically presented and I gave my credit card at check in. Not only was the night manager rude and incompetent I was told "There is no record of the second charge on the second card so I cant help you." He said this despite the fact that our bank was on the line telling him they charged us. After a week the General Manager called at that point I had already filed a dispute with my bank. The staff was rude and incompetent. I will never stay here again and beleive me when I say the satisfaction guarantee or your money back is BALONEY!! They charged us twice for the same room and I had to go through my bank to get it rectified!! Never again!!

• Stayed May 2010
2 Thank sellingjk
Ellenville
Reviewed November 27, 2009

I had a nice room, but a note was slipped under my door that said, "for a good time call Francesca" with a phone number. I was furious and told the front desk. The staff had to know about this. I can't stay there again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank loosly
Delaware
Reviewed August 12, 2009

My family and I wanted an overnight getaway to include Sahara Sam's waterpark. The Hampton Mt. Laurel is one of the hotels listed on the waterpark website as a partner, was reasonably priced and offered discount park tickets. We should've chosen another partner.

Lisa at the front desk was efficient but not very friendly nor accomodating. I wanted to pay for the room with cash, like I do with every hotel I visit, but Lisa would not let me check in until I presented a credit card. I have never had any problem checking in anywhere with cash. Also, I asked for a rollaway bed but was told that since there are two beds in my room I could not get a cot. Never heard that one before either.

Once my family and I got to the room I was disappointed to find double beds (but just barely doubles! Barely larger than twin-size.) I was expecting queen-sized beds, but maybe I just read the website wrong. By chance we had an air mattress in the car from a previous road trip, so my son slept on the air mattress on the floor. Unnecessary, I believe, but since they wouldn't give me a rollaway we made do.

We had forgotten to pack a few items so my wife requested the complimentary toothpaste at the front desk. She was given the item, but not before the clerk rolled her eyes and handed it to her with the very curt "Here". Not "Is there anything else you need?", but "Here". Quite rude.

We requested the discounted tickets to Sahara Sam's as advertised. The clerk directed me to the computer in the lobby and let me know that I should go on Sam's website and purchase the tickets. Since I had made it clear to her that I do not use credit cards, the internet purchase was impossible. The sales manager got on the phone to Sahara Sam's and found that they would grant me the discount at their ticket office. So do yourself a favor and if you use credit cards buy your discount tix in advance online.

Breakfast was adequate. Standard fare. I can't comment on the hot foods as I only ever eat food from a hotel that is sealed and has brand names, like the cereal, fruit and yogurt.

There are plenty of hotels in Mount Laurel, so next time I will choose a different one.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank SavvyMate
North Carolina
Reviewed August 9, 2009

We have stayed in various Hampton Inns before and generally prefer them for a "budget" hotel experience. The one in Mt Laurel, NJ has okay location but these were the cons:

1) Reservation was for a family of four but the room only had towels for three. Front desk had us go to pick up the extra towels.

2) The room had only one accessible outlet. It was a pain plugging phone chargers, computers or even an iron. Eventually maintenance had to bring in a power strip and move a bed to install it.

3) The rooms do not have wireless Internet. They do have free wired (Ethernet). There is wireless only in the lobby.

4) The breakfast was dissappointing. Waffles were stale and rubbery. Sausage was dried out mystery meat that looked like burnt hot dog slices. The fruit salad had a strange taste. The bagels and pastries were okay. My kids refused to go back the second day.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank DrElectron
PA
Reviewed April 30, 2009

Typical Hampton, decent breakfast (can't beat the price!).

The first room we were provided had a terrible odor. We reported it to the front desk and were moved to a new room immediately (without the smell).

Smoking rooms were on the first floor, so you had to walk through them to get to any other rooms, which was a little frustrating.

Otherwise, an uneventful, average stay.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed September 11, 2008

I spent 3 nights here for business travel. The hotel is on a major road about two miles south of the NJ turnpike, but is set back far enough that noise from the road is inaudible. The room was standard Hampton Inn, with a mini-fridge and microwave. There is a Chili's right next to the hotel. Front desk staff was pleasant and welcoming, and breakfast was well-stocked (with fruit, coffee and tea available all day). Only complaints were lack of a fitness center and thin walls - I could hear the phone conversation of the woman in the room next to me, as well as her alarm in the morning. Overall, a good price, convenient location and clean rooms.

• Liked — Location, price, fridge and microwave in room
  • Disliked — Noise from other rooms and no fitness center
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)