All reviews bliss products ale house modern design nj turnpike bed was very comfortable front desk staff new jersey indoor pool checking out plenty of parking trendy lobby wedding philly laurel iron chlorine
Reviewed July 26, 2010

i have to say this was a very nice hotel , staff was very friendly and accomidating , my husband and i tik our kids for a weekend getaway , and we loved the place it was very clean . my only issue is that they told us they would charge our credit card 50.00 for incidentials and if we didnt get drinks or any of the food the 50.00 would be refunded , however my card was charged 139.00 and i am still not sure for what . we paid cash for everything and i am still trying to find out why i was charged an additional 139.00 ??????

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We arrived a little before 2:00 in the afternoon and our room was ready ( yayyy) melissa and kayla were very accomodating and let us check in earlier than the 3:00 check -in which was great being that we drove over an hour to get there and wanted to stretch and get settled in, once the kids saw the place they were ready to drop their bags and explore the place! It was a weekend getaway with me, a girlfriend and her daughter and mine, both teenagers!! They LOVED the place, it was very nice and EVERYONE was great from the manager (James) who went above and beyond to make us comfortable, the pool area ran out of towels, we called and James came right away! We played pool with the guest , jamie the bartender made us drinks $7 for a tall glass of malibu & pineapple was GREAT, she talked to us and gave us information about the area and what to do, where to eat, she gave us drink tips, every drink she recommended was GREAT (we didnt have too many) the atmosphere was just wonderful!

The salt water pool was a bit small but big enough, it never was crowded, the pool area was VERY clean, VERY trendy, with a shower, bathroom, hot towels, plenty of lounge chairs which we pulled outside to get sun after swimming because the pool is indoor, but they have an outdoor sitting area with great chairs and couches, it was nice with bright blues and greens, colorful...trendy...chic!!

They also had a small menu at the bar where you can order buffalo wings, pizza and a few other things snacks, they had a spot by the front desk that had juice, soda, pastry, fresh fruit, breakfast sandwiches each morning, wraps, I heard someone say they were expensive which they were a tiny bit but the convience was right on & everything was FRESH! one of the downfalls to this hotel was not having a restaurant BUT The area had so many places to eat, chillis, carrabas, fridays, olive garden, dennys, Pf changs, I mean anything you want they had within 5/10 minutes...the location was great! so how can you complain????

Saturday we went to sahara sams (wouldnt waste my money) after an hour or two there is NOTHING to do there, they have 2 bigs slides for adults and kids, a small lazy river and a few other things to do for kids 7 and under! what a waste, not to mention after an hour in there you get the aweful smell of the chlorine and it really starts to bother you where you just have to get out, they have an arcade but it's overly expensive and there's nothing really to chose from when you cash in your tickets (but the kids had fun) but dont plan a whole day out of being there, you wont last more than two hours!

Sunday we took a ride into camden to the NJ aquarium, which was very nice and the kids had a blast there, my only complaint about the aquarium is that they didnt have nearly enough tables at the cafeteria for lunch, it was aweful, but very very clean and it was fun and worth the money! very well worth a visit!! and its a 15 minute ride from the hotel!

upon checkin out with dedrie Sunday whom was so helpful and always had a smile on her face, one night the girls ordered pizza and we didnt have plates napkins or anything, dedrie was so kind & she brought them up to our room herself (thanks dedrie) she was such a pleasure! This place just is a place that you'll want to come to again and again and again just for the service alone!! They go above and beyond here!

The rooms were very comfortable to me, no complaints, I absolutely loved it, we enjoyed the flat screen tv on the wall that had all the cable channels you could want, the place was quiet, no noise, slept like a baby!! we stayed in Rm 607 & we will definitely be back again!! I am already planning the next trip down!!!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
aloftmountlaurel, Social Media Manager at Aloft Mount Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2010

Aloha! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the aloft Mount Laurel! We pride ourselves on our urban-influence and we try our hardest to make our guests feel comfortable in a modern setting. The aloft is sophisticated enough for adults and just cool enough for teens and youth to feel good hanging out in, so I am so glad that your daughter and her friend were excited about the space! The vibe is cool, the nightlife is entertaining, and the edgy energy is exciting so it’s exciting that you got to experience this! Our talent members are great, and our managers like to know our guests too, that’s why they are so hands on. I’m glad you got to spend some time at w xyz with Jamie. She mixes most of our signature cocktails and definitely knows her stuff, so its great that she was able to tantalize your tastebuds! The splash is an aloft standard and with the heat and humidity we have experiencing in NJ, I happy you got to cool off a bit. A restaurant is soon to come! So, hopefully for your next stay we can more choices for your right around the corner! Exploring is a huge part of aloft culture, so taking the time to visit some of the area attractions was a great idea! There’s a lot to do, but I am sorry to hear that your day Sahara Sam’s wasn’t what you expected. We actually have some hotel packages including Sahara Sam’s vouchers and I’d like to thank you for putting that in your review. It’s just something to think about when doing business with them in the future. Our aloha desk agents are usually always happy to help our guests. As our hotel grows out of the new kids on the block stage, our agents and talent members are getting more comfortable as well. So, it is important that your reviews tell us what agents make a good impression you. It helps us to thank them for their service and also helps to increase the service for your next visit and for our next guests. Thank you again for reviewing the aloft Hotel in Mount Laurel. We are more than happy to welcome you back soon! Aloha & Best! - aloft Mount Laurel

Reviewed July 17, 2010

There’s something to be said for being welcomed by the Innkeeper. Previous to my recent stay, I had read the reviews of Mt. Laurel’s Aloft (very odd name) Hotel and learned of the kiosk check-in system. Apparently, booking your room through a third-party agent such as Priceline does not allow you to check in via the computer. It would have been nice if I was made aware of this, as I spent a good ten minutes trying to check-in electronically by various different numbers on my Priceline reservation printout. There should be a sign near the kiosk, or it should be displayed on the screen.

So, my 6 year-old son and I were checked in by the nice agent standing in the futuristic and round check-in area. Although we were checked in by a real live person, the experience at this hotel was kind of cold and sterile, and felt like no one was “on guard” looking out for me and my needs. At most hotels, you have two or three agents at the desk, with offices behind, where I assume there are managers and assorted staff. I just felt “all alone” at this property. Perhaps some like this feeling, I didn’t.

The room was small but modern and clean. There are no glasses to use, so you must use the plastic (paper?) coffee cups for any beverage you may want to enjoy. I didn’t like this, although I’m sure this is to save water from washing such glasses. I guess I’m not the greenest guest on Earth.

The AC unit indeed was a little loud, and there was no way to actually turn it off. It was constantly on and I was quite cold in the room, even though the a/c was turned down as low as it could go. Very strange. The TV was a nice-sized LCD or Plasma and I had no problems with the reception, or the number of channels it received. You don’t go to a hotel to watch TV as your main activity anyway.

The phone in the room was not your typical hotel phone, and I didn’t know how to call the front desk. They may want to make it easier to do so, in case of an emergency and someone needing to get in contact with a staff-member quickly and easily.

The bed was very comfortable, and my son and I actually slept until 9:30; and he rarely sleeps past 8 am. I wonder if the maid (or whatever fancy name they give them here—refreshers, I believe) hadn’t woken us up at 9:30 (on a Sunday morning?...uugghh), how late we would have slept. I guess we’ll never know.

I’m not sure of the advantages of a salt water pool, but it really didn’t look inviting. It was small, but big enough for my son to splash around. The exercise room was well-equipped.

Around 4 pm, my son wanted a muffin from the self-serve area. Now, as this was check-in time, does the Aloft really expect me to stand in line for 30 minutes, behind arriving guests and wait for everyone to be checked in, so I can pay for a $3.50 muffin? The staff was swamped and there needs to be a better system in place for paying for the food they have available for purchase. I was disappointed there was no complimentary breakfast, as I thought this was rather standard at most hotels now.

Upon returning from a baseball game on a Saturday night, there was a one-woman band playing in the lobby. This was a little odd and the volume was really loud, as if the speakers were set to “stadium” level. Up in the 5th floor, however, I couldn’t hear a thing all nite. And I guess you just have to get lucky you don’t get stuck with a floor full of noisy teenagers, and I do fear this at many hotels, especially on Saturday nights. I’ve had my share of bad luck, and ya just have to get lucky.

In reading the review responses from Aloft’s upbeat and happy PR rep, they appear to be a hotel that is caring and aware of its deficiencies. Still, there has to come a time when they are not “new” anymore and start solving all these little issues that seem to come up with many guests.

I paid $60 for my summer Saturday stay (thanks to Priceline, I will never pay over $70/night for a hotel anymore) and still can’t recommend this property, even at this price point. I can’t put my finger on it, but there was just something “missing” at this property. It did the trick as a nice little home base for me and my son that weekend, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to stay at this property.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
aloftmountlaurel, Public Relations Manager at Aloft Mount Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2010

aloha KershKomments, I would like to apologize for the trouble that you experienced with our check in kiosks. I do believe that you are able to check in through the kiosk using a third party reservation, however, our aloha desk talent agent should have assisted you with the check in process at the kiosk and I am sorry for that lack of service. Our talent members are trained to wear many hats. So, in essence a bartender can run over and check you in or the refuel attendant can run upstairs and refresh a loft. Therefore, we operate on a smaller staff that are trained in all fields, making them able to assist our guests in any aspect of their hotel stay. The paper cups in our lofts are placed there to not only to conserve water, but we can recycle them. This helps our green aware guests do their part as we try to do our part in saving the environment. With that said, it’s a shame that you could not get you’re A/C unit to shut off. Anytime something like that happens please be sure to call the aloha desk by pressing 0 on your loft phone or on the phones near the lifts. The aloha desk talent agent will get a repair talent member to take a look at whatever needs attention in your loft. Our beds are a smaller version or our sister property’s, the Westin’s, heavenly bed and they are super comfortable! I do, however apologize for our refresh attendants waking you up earlier than expected. Our policy is to check with the aloha desk before knocking on loft doors and I do apologize. However, your review does bring to light that we need to revisit these policies with our refresh attendants. I am glad that your son had a chance to splash and I am happy that you also had some time to check out the recharge fitness center! Anytime the aloha desk is swamped you can charge refuel to your room. Just pop your head by the aloha desk and tell them your room number and what you would like charged to your room. The culture here is very different. Super fast paced and casual and very non-traditional. We have live entertainment every Wednesday through Saturday and, as I see you have noticed, we do draw a larger bar crowd. Although the entertainment was loud, I hope you were able to sleep well and not hear the music on the higher floors. As always, we do work to fix these issues. We are still a new property, still under a year old, and have experienced a recent management change that seems to be helping things. I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay. The aloft vibe is very edgy, tech-savvy, and caters to travelers that want to stray from the cookie-cutter experiences of traditional hotels. I am glad that your son slept well and I hope that you enjoyed the baseball game as you had a beautiful weekend! aloha, aloft Mount Laurel

Reviewed June 28, 2010

Drove from Chicago to New Jersey for a funeral. They were nice enough to let us check in early. I was thankful for this because we just had a long drive and tired children who needed to use the bathroom. It doesn't look like much from the outside but it's definitely nice on the inside. Rooms were very nice, great layout, very clean. The A/C was not working in the lobby, they had workers there fixing it. I don't think it ever did get fixed because it never felt cool as we walked in from the heat outside. Our room was very cool and comfy. Front desk staff were all very helpful and nice. They do however charge your credit card $50 for "incidentals" like snacks from the snack shop, drinks from the bar etc..... if you don't eat or drink from these places they refund your $50. We did walk across the street to the Westin to eat dinner. The traffic was so bad we didn't feel like getting back in the car again to drive to a restaurant.

The elevator floors are interesting. Made of some kind of gel or something. My kids and teen niece's loved it.

The salt water pool was very clean, not that big but big enough to have a little fun and pass some time.

In the evening on weekends this hotel turns into a night club in the bar and lobby area. We were walking to the elevators from the pool in our swim suits and there were people dancing and partying, dressed really fancy. It was a bit awkward. But we went to our room and weren't bothered by any party goers.

All in all it was a great experience.

Date of stay: June 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
aloftmountlaurel, Public Relations Manager at Aloft Mount Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2010

aloha Guest!
I am glad that our aloft talent members were able to accommodate you and make you feel comfortable at your difficult time of travel. I appreciate your positive comments about our modern décor and am truly happy that your children were able to make use of our splash, indoor salt water pool! The weekends are very busy here, as we have 5200 square feet of banquet space that hosts parties of 50 to 300, so I can understand that the bar and remix lobby were busy at that time. The air conditioning did eventually get fixed; however with our sliding doors for entry and exit to the hotel, the remix usually is difficult to keep at a constant temperature. All in all, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will travel again soon to visit us!
aloha and best! aloft Mount Laurel

Reviewed June 23, 2010

We took the kids (2.5 years old and 6 months old) to South Jersey for a Bat Mitzvah, and we wanted to stay over so the kids could go swimming. My husband chose this hotel because of his Starwood Points card, and because of its excellent location right off of the Turnpike and 295. The rooms are quite small and cramped, and there is only a stand up shower, which did not permit me to give the kids a bath at the end of the day. Additionally, the air conditioner is extremely loud. It kicks on every 15 minutes and is so loud you cannot hear yourself think. Fortunately, my kids were able to sleep through it; I, however, slept terribly. Also, there was a wedding downstairs that night, so we could hear loud music/bass until after midnight. The music was drowned out by the A/C whenever it kicked on.
My husband had also booked a breakfast for us when we made the reservation, since we find it easier to eat first thing with the kids and then head out home. Turns out they have no restaurant, just a pricey area of assorted snacks and breakfast foods. We each had a $5 credit ($10 total) to purchase breakfast. I was able to buy 2 small containers of milk and 2 cups of cereal for the money! There wasn't enough to buy fruit or any food for the little ones.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone with children. Or to anyone who needs a good night sleep.

Date of stay: June 2010