“Reasonably Priced, New, Bright & Clean”
Review of Aloft Mount Laurel

Aloft Mount Laurel
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Mount Laurel
Mount Vernon, Maine
“Reasonably Priced, New, Bright & Clean”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have stayed at the Aloft in Mount Laurel twice so far this year, when coming down for business meeting nearby. It's very convenient to the New Jersey Turnpike, and allows for a relatively easy commute into Philadelphia the next day. The format is standard for an Aloft, nothing special but I like the fact that the hotel is new, bright and clean. The free wireless is a help too.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the sides, so as not to face the busy highway in front. The hotel is well insul...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Teresa N, Social Media Manager at Aloft Mount Laurel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
We're glad you had a sassy, savvy stay with us while on business. And thank for your being a repeat guest, we love having you here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Sanford, North Carolina
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I'll preface this by saying that I am typically a Marriott fan, but since I'm doing so much travel lately I figured I'd try another chain. I also received a good recommendation from a co worker. I signed up for the SPG program at the front desk and was told that because I signed up that I could forego having new towels in my room during my stay in exchange for either a $5/day card to use for food/drink items or receive points on my SPG account. I decided on the $5 a day meal ticket since I'm clean and can use the provided towels for a week stay. What I didn't really expect was that absolutely nobody would enter my room for service during my stay. I expected that someone would at least enter my room to see if I needed more tissue (which I ran out of after using only a few), more coffee and to take out the trash which was only a small dorm room sized bin. Luckily I didn't have much trash or a meal in the room or else this would have sat the entire trip unless I took it out. Other chains will do these items unless you specifically tell them not to. I guess I specifically told them not to when I took the $5 a day. The intent is that you can be environmentally conscious and not have your towels washed. And while I could have asked for more tissue or coffee, I shouldn't have to do these things, this is a normal service other hotels provide daily. I ran out of tissue on the second day of my week long stay. What blew my mind even more is that the first portion of the tissues was pushed into the plastic tissue box to top off the portion underneath. The second portion being of a different color and lesser amount. So, lets move onto how that $5 works. No breakfast is served. You have you choice of buying some pastries or breakfast sandwiches, cereals, drinks, etc. These items are obviously well over $5. I'd use my $5 to purchase a $3.50 Red Bull or a box of milk and a muffin. I refuse to put any more money into that system.

The hotel is shaped like a large and tall U and my room faced the interior where down below there is a common outdoor area beside the indoor pool. Because of the shape of the hotel all noise from down below echoed and made for a loud stay while kids ran around below. To add to the ruckus, the doors of each room in the hotel are so heavily weighted that if you don't control the closing of the door it will slam with an extremely audible noise akin to a shotgun blast. After guests have a few drinks downstairs at the bar, you can imagine how that may sound at midnight.

During my stay there was a domestic dispute which I brought to the attention of one of the personnel downstairs. A man and woman were screaming and pushing each other in the outside common area. I was told by whomever I spoke to (I assume to be the night manager) that before calling the cops she'd like to see if she could calm it down because one of the two was a regular guest at the hotel. The two moved inside to the bar where the dispute continued, but I went back to my room and stayed out of it the rest of the evening. While this is no fault of the hotel, it does show the class, or lack of.

The rooms were decorated in that typical trendy fashion. But if you look closely, it's hard to maintain. The sliding mirror which separated the toilet and shower from the sink area was broken while masking tape was used to hold the broken piece in place. The AC was the old style in room unit, but at least it was controlled by a thermostat on the wall.

The feel of the Aloft is trendy. It is a W brand. I don't feel this is a hotel fit for business travelers. The idea that if you stay here you are hip, trendy and modern is overshadowed by poor implementation of a preferred guest reward program and an average experience. I imagine most folks who feel they had a great stay feel that way based somewhat in part by feeling trendy and modern vice staying at a more mature, conservative establishment. If you have a bar area you should definitely have a breakfast served. Don't just take money from guests, provide a value.

I actually left the Aloft feeling guilty for not staying at a Marriott. Like I had cheated on a more professional chain. The only positive mark for me about this hotel is not the hotel itself, but the restaurant/bar immediately next door (see my review for Miller's).

In short, if you're a hipster twenty-something looking for a one nighter and want to feel trendy in southern NJ, then the Aloft is for you. If you're on business and are use to longer stays and need more professional, home-like accomodations, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Teresa N, Social Media Manager at Aloft Mount Laurel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hello, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at the Aloft Hotel in Mount Laurel. I understand your frustration and would like to apologize for the miscommunication you experienced during your stay regarding our "make it green" program. This program is our go-green initiative that offers guests a $5 voucher to the W xyz bar or the re:fuel grab-n-go station if they choose to forego service to their loft. This promotes environmentally safe practices that cut down on the use of cleaning products and additional running water for laundry. Aloft hotels provide a unique and modern, limited service atmosphere that appeals to the independent traveler tired of the cookie-cutter hotel experience. I understand that after staying with a full service brand for many years, this could be a stark contrast for our guests. Aloft hotels have a unique distinction that families, business and leisure travelers all enjoy; and with that comes guests that utilize the hotel amenities, like Splash, the indoor pool and the W xyz Bar, more than others. We appreciate your thoughts regarding the hotel room doors and the "make it a green choice" program. We will of course take your suggestions into consideration for our future guests. Thank you for staying with us and safe travels.
new york
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

So many broken factors! Heating system so loud that one could not sleep. Broken mirrors in several rooms. Irresponsible in care of credit cards, over authorizations. Dirty Rooms. No real benefits for elite frequent stayer members. Rude and poorly trainer Reception staff. Unless you want no Service avoided this hovel.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Teresa N, Social Media Manager at Aloft Mount Laurel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us while traveling on business to the New Jersey area.
We appreciate your feedback. It's great to get reviews from experienced travelers like yourself.
We are in the process of having vendors take a look at our mirrored bathroom doors to replace the cracked ones and to reinforce the non-distressed ones. Also, I will be sure to inform our Front Office Manager of the trouble you experienced with your credit card. This is a good topic for further training in guest assistance for our front desk. The HVAC systems in our lofts are energy efficient, climate control systems that shut off when the room is at the set temperature. When the temperature drops or exceeds the set number the unit will kick back on. I understand that the sound disturbed your sleep and I'd like to apologize for that. I am sincerely sorry for the lack of satisfaction you experience while staying with us. We will take your review and improve on the items you mentioned. We can only get better from learning from our reviewers.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We have stayed at other Alofts and this one did not disappoint. The room was spacious with 2 Queen beds (very comfortable); dual sinks in bathroom; large flat screen TV; 2 complimentary bottles of water; mini-fridge (that actually worked); great bar scene with multiple TV's showing sports, live music (on Saturday night) and a pool table. We actually wanted to hang out in the hotel lobby area (how often does that happen?!).
My only complaints are the lack of pillows in the room (2 per bed which equals 1 per person), but I knew this going in, so I was able to bring a pillow from home. Problem solved. The other complaint was the lack of apparent vacuuming in the hallway on our floor. The first day I thought it was just simply stuff on the carpet from that day. But after day 3 and the same stuff was on the floor, I started to wonder if perhaps the vacuum (or its operator) was the problem.
The front desk staff are so nice; can't say enough about their willingness to help whenever possible.
If you want a quiet hotel, don't stay here on a weekend; it's too alive with activity. If you want a hotel that will offer you a great scene to pass your evening time (not in your room); this is it. I will stay at any Aloft again.

Room Tip: Higher floors will help keep you away from loud bar scene on weekend nights.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Teresa N, Social Media Manager at Aloft Mount Laurel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Hello and thanks for your sassy, savvy loyalty! I'm happy to hear you found our loft-inspired guestrooms spacious and stocked with all your tech-savvy hook-ups. I'm sorry you didn't get stay and experience the W xyz Bar and re:mix lounge. We host live music and entertainment most nights, so I'm glad to hear you were tempted to kick back in the atmosphere!

Next time, we'd be glad to get you more pillows! Just dial the front desk by hitting 0 on your loft room phone. So sorry for the mess in the hallway, by the way! We're working on getting new vacuums for our re:fresh team.

We appreciate your review and tips for our future guests about the noise level of the lobby and the great bar scene we've got going on. Cheer to looking forward to your next sassy, savvy stay with us...maybe you'll get to enjoy the vibe a little more next time!
Ringwood, NJ
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night and wish it could have been for more. The front desk staff were welcoming and helpful. The room was clean and amenities were plentiful, including a mini fridge. I can't say enough about the beds. Although at first glance they look fairly simplistic, they are so comfortable. I had the best night sleep in a while. We used the pool - small but fine. The refuel area has a lovely assortment of food. Wouldn't think twice about staying in another aloft when traveling, and hoping we have an excuse to stay at this one again!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Teresa N, Social Media Manager at Aloft Mount Laurel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with us during your recent family trip! Your comments mean a lot to us. I'm so glad to hear that you slept well on our plush platform beds, and thank you for taking advantage of Splash! I'm happy that you are a true A:Lister now! If you plan on visiting other Aloft's or Starwood Hotels be sure to enroll in our SPG Points Program for great rewards. Safe Travels!
Seattle, WA
Reviewed February 28, 2013

All-in-all one of the better hotels I've visited. Room was quiet, bed was comfortable and I really like the walk-in shower. You can pick up a bagel and yogurt for $4; which is much better than any $20 buffet. Work-out room was good; staff was extremely friendly throughout entire stay. If you opt out of daily cleaning you get a $5 voucher for each day, which is more than enough for that bagel and yogurt. Also, good restaurant next door.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank your for reviewing your recent visit to Aloft Mount Laurel! I'm pleased that you enjoyed our many amenities including, the re:charge fitness center, our re:fuel grab-n-go breakfast, and the a-go-go green program! Thank you for taking advantage of what Aloft has to offer, looking forward to your next stay with us.
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here for business. Room was clean. Only complaint was that you could hear the DJ and the people drinking from the bar/restaurant that is directly next store - if you need to sleep stay on the opposite side of the hotel! Also could hear a lot of noises in hallway and music from lobby when there were events going on so bring ear plugs or white noise if you are a light sleeper like me. Breakfast was quick and easy in the morning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us while on business in the NJ area. Feedback from well-experienced reviewers like yourself is very valuable! We appreciate the kind tips you have posted for our future guests, and I'd like to apologize if you didn't sleep well because of the nightlife and entertainment on property. All in all, I am glad you had an easy breezy stay and we hope to see you again on business or for pleasure!