“Awesome Winter Getaway”

new jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Awesome Winter Getaway”
Reviewed January 29, 2011

We stayed at Coco Key on January 22- I was a little nervous about driving with the weather as snowy as it has been, but I couldn’t resist the price – the package was the room plus 4 passes to enter the water park, and it was about the same price as 4 day passes would have been! I don’t think they run this special often, so get on the mailing list. And the weather was very cold – but no snow thank goodness! We were traveling with 2 adults and 3 children ages 3, 9 and 10.

I received an e-mail the day before telling me that our room would NOT be ready until 4 pm, so I was thrilled to find our room ready at 1:30 when we got there! Check-in was a breeze and the staff was very friendly.

We got to stow our stuff in our room on the 3rd floor and change and go to the water park. I got a locker for $6.50 which you can charge to your room – Ionly because I had my camera and didn’t want to have to carry it around. Just too lazy to run all the way back up to our room. It was worth it, I got great photos!

We mostly did the Adventure River and the Parrot’s Perch slides, none of the kids wanted to do the bigger slides, they were the only ones that had lines. The little one just loved the dip-in theatre, he had a ball! I saw a lot of the bigger kids there really enjoy the coral reef cavern with the basketball nets, but we didn’t get a chance to try it. We stayed at the park from 2pm –5 pm, and had lunch there – it was pricey – about 30.00 for burgers, hotdogs and drinks but worth it for the convenience. I read other reviews saying it was cold – I didn’t notice any cold spots, even with the temps outside at 17 degrees! Of course the air feels colder when you get out of the water, that’s what towels are for!

The room was very comfortable and quiet – I expected it to be a bit noisy because the hotel had sold a lot of rooms with this package, but we had NO noise on our floor. The beds were amazingly comfortable, the shower was great and nice amenities. They even brought us extra coffee for the coffee maker in the morning when we requested it. We drove to a nearby Friendly’s for dinner, which the kids loved, then went back to the park and stayed until 9:30 when they closed. Everyone had a fabulous time! We had the option of using our passes the next day but I had plans so we didn’t take advantage of it. All in all we had an awesome time, and plan on going back soon!

Pros:
· Big spacious park, doesn’t seem crowded even when full
· Lifeguards are very attentive, and don’t allow horseplay
· Clean
· Great room up to Marriot standards

Cons:
· Some parents think the waterpark is a day care- there was a 4 year old little girl at Parrot’s Perch that continuously tried to climb up the slide the wrong way dragging a soaking towel around for over an hour with no parent in sight. I felt bad for the lifeguard that had to keep asking her to get off the slide so the other kids could come down.

· The staff at the concession stand is extremely slow – we waited 20 minutes for our food with only a few people in front of us, they had a bad attitude and didn’t seem to care.

· Don’t let your kids play with the remote for the TV, it is very easy for them to rent shows and games without realizing what they are doing – my daughter bought 2 shows we didn’t even watch before I noticed what she was doing, and when I called the staff said they could only cancel one.

1 Thank easternowl

NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“24 hours of hapiness for family with small kids”
Reviewed January 22, 2011

We booked at the Marriott for a Sunday night into Monday. We were allowed to enter our room at 1:30, even though we'd been told it would not be available until 4. We put on our suits and strolled the 5 minutes to the park through clean carpeted halls. The park is very manageable. This was a 'crowded' holiday Monday, yet at no time did we feel like there were too many people. The pools were clean, the guards were vigilant and kids had fun everywhere. Our three year old loved the wading pool, and our six year old loved the rope crossing pool and the lazy river. The line for the slides was never more than 5-7 minutes, and the indoor/outdoor adult sauna was a nice touch. Pizza, fries and quesadillas available, and an arcade entertained the kids for 30 minutes when it was time to go.
Youth groups showed up as we were heading out for dinner, so that might be something to consider when planning.
We loved it.

Brooklyn, New York
“This Place is Great!”
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I went with a close friend of mine and her daughter along with my daughter. They had such a blast. It's was like summer time in the winter.
Pros:
Coco Keys a two hour drive from New York
Water Slides att all ages
Clean
Plenty of towels
in expensive
friendly staff
micorwave and fridge in our room
Stay in the hotel
Arcade
Water temperature was nice and warm
Lockers and FREE towels
GreyHound stops at this resort
Cons:
pizza hut was a little expensive

Manahawkin, New Jersey
“Was very pleased with our New Years Eve overnight stay”
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I was very nervous about our overnight stay at Coco Key after reading other reviews. Now I am not sure if the park is the same on a everyday basis but our New years Eve there was very nice. It was clean bothe hotel and park, there was no riff raff and the food for our dinner, midnight buffet and breakfast was very good. It was catered by Marriott. Also the staff was very nice and helpful. The whole evening was well planned and very organized. My 2 little girls had a great time in the water park, doing crafts and in the arcade and dancing in the Hotel ballroom while watching the ball drop. It was a wonderful family New Years Eve night that was well worth the price.

Scotch Plains, New Jersey
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“It met my low expectations”
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Before arriving, I could tell that I was not going to be too impressed by this place and it met my expectation.

The positives? It's not as expensive as Great Wolf and there's enough entertainment value for kids 8 and under. Also, there's an adults only hot tub and a bar to keep mom and dad happy.

The cons? The place is much smaller than Great Wolf. Kids older than 8 might be bored after a while. There are only 2 single tube slides and 1 body slide. Kids can't go down a slide with their parent. There are limited food choices inside.

One big problem with this place is that it's open to day trippers. You don't need to be a hotel guest to enjoy the park. It was pretty crowded and there were a few "low class" people there. If you don't like to get into an argument with someone who sat down to eat lunch on the chair with your towels and bags, then you'll probably want to go somewhere else.

The staff was pleasant. The hotel was fine. If you're staying for the night, make sure that you don't get a 100 level room as you will have everyone walking past your door to get to the park.

2 Thank jjoshua