“Pretty good family fun...if you keep your antennae up!”

Coco Key Water Resort
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Saw the Coco Key waterpark on the internet and our 5 year old went nuts, so we took him there. Convenient to get to off NJ Turnpike.
Positives: Great staff...front desk was professional, welcoming and helpful, particularly Priscilla who even helped us get our car jump started when I left the lights on all night! She was great with guests, even the ones who weren't very polite to her. The wait staff in the restaurant were really pleasant and service oriented, and the bartenders were friendly and jovial. The service staff was conscientious even in the hallways, opening doors and holding elevators for guests. The food in the hotel restaurant (buffet breakfast) was very good and there was coffee galore. Our 5 year old really enjoyed the water park, though he was scared to go down any of the tube slides. Might not take him again until he is older, but we all had a great time anyway, and the adults went down the tubes. The park was not too crowded this time of year. And even though check in time was 4:00 pm, they let us check in when we arrived at 11:00 am which made our afternoon really convenient. And we got a room on the first floor so it wasn't a far walk to the waterpark. The video arcade was fun too. There was also a bar in the waterpark for adult drinks, which was nice. In the waterpark I felt the lifeguards were really aware and on top of watching out for everyone. The rooms in the hotel were pretty good, and despite the large amount of hall noise during the day when kids were running to and from the waterpark to their rooms, it was very quiet at night and we got a good night's sleep.

Negatives: The waterpark has a policy that you are not allowed to bring in food or beverage into the park. While I understand that from a economic point of view (they want you to purchase from their concessions) the food they offered was substandard and expensive for what it was. Mediocre chicken fingers were $7. Most of the menu was very unhealthy junk food - mozarella sticks, hot dogs, pizza, stuff that is usually considered "kid food" but really shouldn't be eaten by growing human beings. They need more healthy variety and choices. Drink options did not even include real juice, only fruit punch, fanta orange or other soda. Yuck. There was a security issue that needed to be addressed, and that is that during our entire stay, a secluded emergency exit only door was continuously propped open, even though I shut it twice. It did not shut automatically when exited, and unless you forcefully closed it, it would not shut. That would allow easy access to the hotel to non-guests who shouldn't be there. Perhaps guests kept opening it because it let out right to the waterpark parking lot, which otherwise was only accessible by walking down long hallways to the front entrance of the hotel and then having to loop back outside to access your car. Perhaps creating a legitimate entrance/exit there with hotel key access would create a more secure situation, because the emergency exit was clearly being abused for convenience. I will say that a lot of kids appeared unmonitored, parents not really watching, and there was a pushy energy with unnecessary running. So stay with your kids at all times.

All in all, we thought it was a good value for the money, and we'd like to go back and bring a friend of our son's next time. Good trailer park fun.

4  Thank Been2All50States2x
"soda"
"groupon"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed April 19, 2014

It is a verysmall indoor water park, well, however, the kids are rowdy and the parents seem to leave their kids let loose. the kids were pushing our tubes to get by, even swimming below the water and pushing people to race each other. Overall, I would not go back again.

6  Thank vikram R
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The place is overcrowded and dirty, or maybe so old that it looks that way. 1 lazy river, one slide, one playground for little kids, one small pool for a ball game and one small playground for babies. Food orders take forever. Drinks, I ordered gin tonic, got something yellowish and sweet. Rude crowd.

3  Thank irenedigit
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We live in the area so we did not need to stay in the hotel. We chose to visit the water park to give the kids a "fun day" because of such a long winter. The water park was very crowed and there was no room to place your towels and other items. People were waiting for others to join in the water activities at which time they would steal their chairs from the tables. The food was awful! The price was reasonable for what we got. My children and step children had a nice time but I was less than impressed by this water park. I would suggest that they limit the amount of people they admit per day and upgrade their food menu. I am not sure if we will visit again in the future.

2  Thank Ruby M
See more reviews
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Your kids are NOT safe at the Coco Key Waterpark!

We learned this the hard way....

When we first arrived at the waterpark, it wasn't very crowded. Numerous visible lifeguards gave us a sense of security. As more and more people arrived, we slowly realized how ineffective the lifeguards became.

Our smallest two children spent most of their time at a toddler type of pool called Dip-In. It has two smaller water slides that come off of a large boat structure in the middle of the pool. The water is about a foot deep, which if perfect for our little ones. However, there is no way for the ONE lifeguard stationed there to see the entire pool. There is a large structure resembling a boat in the middle blocking her view, so she constantly had to walk from one side of the pool to the other - seeing half the pool at one point and the other at her second turn point. This seemed okay with 10 kids in the pool, but once there were close to 40 - she missed most of the incidents. Bigger, wilder kids kept pushing the smaller kids at the top of the slides and then ramming into them at the bottom of the slides. Occasionally the life guard would blow her whistle, but the bigger, wilder kids just ignored her. My wife and I pretty much had to hover over our little ones to keep them from repeatedly getting hurt.

My oldest son is 9, and a good swimmer, so we let him go on the Lazy River alone. I went to check on him after about 15 minutes. I waited at the entrance / exit of the ride. I kept trying to get to a place where I could look down the river to spot him, but the lifeguard kept telling me I had to stay back - even after I explained I was just looking for my son, not trying to grab a raft.

Finally my son appeared at the end of the ride, not even in the required tube. He was crying, gasping to breath, and holding his chest in pain! Once he was able to talk, he explained how two boys took turns using him as a punching bag! One would try to restrain him while the other threw punches, then they would switch! This started about a third of the way into the Lazy River ride and went on until almost the very end - a pretty long time! They landed upwards of a dozen solid punches landed on him! I was outraged! How could my son be beaten up for so long without a single lifeguard stopping it!?!

One of the Supervisor's, Jared, was very helpful and kind. He offered my son ice for the visible punch marks and helped us locate the kids responsible, stating that they should be removed from the park.

Once the kids were isolated, the Director, Andrew Alexander, spoke to them and to myself and my son. Then Andrew said that since the kids parents paid "good money" to be there, he wasn't going to kick them out. Then he offered us free games at the arcade to make up for it.... I didn't feel that helped make up for my son being assaulted, so I didn't accept the free tokens. I said to Andrew, "Isn't it the job of your lifeguards to keep the kids here safe?" Surprisingly he actually said "no"! Andrew stated that it was "half" their job and "half" the job of the parents. I wish I had known that was their policy on the way in. If I had known of this upon arrival, I wouldn't have let ANY of my three kids out of my sight for a single moment!

Days later, my 9 year old is bruised and sore from the beating he endured on the Lazy River ride at Coco Key Waterpark. Personally, I am just thankful it wasn't even worse! Realistically, he could have drown! The lifeguards on duty were just unable too keep track of that many people on the Lazy River! Or maybe one or two noticed, and they just didn't care to act! Either way, my 9 year old was beaten by two kids for more than half of the duration of a very slow ride! I'm sure a person could have easily drown in half that amount of time!

If you bring your kids to Coco Key Waterpark, DO NOT take your eyes off them! This is NOT like the waterparks in Disney, or even the other waterparks in New Jersey or Pennsylvania. Parents are the only ones who can keep their children safe here! Please don't learn the hard way, like my family did!

29  Thank NJWalter