“Should be renamed "Best of the Worst"”

Best Western Burlington Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mount Holly
Rutherford, New Jersey
“Should be renamed "Best of the Worst"”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Pay the extra to go somewhere else! This place is in shambles! Rude staff, not cleanly, bad ammenities!

I usually stay at this hotel when visiting my sister. Over the years my stays have gotten worse. During my most recen stay, this past weekend, I called over the phone to book a room for me and my family. I emphasized the fact that the room absolutely must be non-smoking because my boys are asthmatic.

Upon check-in I'm notified that the indoor pool is closed for maintenance. At this point I'm upset already because that is one of the biggest reasons we kept coming to this hotel, for their indoor heated pool. Now I have to break the hearts of my 4 and 6 year old. It would have been nice to hear that when booking the room. We would have booked somewhere else. I get over it and move on into our room. As soon as I open the door I smell of tabacco hit me like a ton of bricks. Immediately I asked for another room and was given a hard time because according to the reservation, I didn't mention non-smoking. At that point I was smoking!

So we walk into our second room, where upon entering there is a dead roach belly up on the bathroom floor, the shower curtain rod was hanging off it's last thread, literally, no blankets on the bed (just a flat sheet and cover), dust bunnies hanging off the ceiling (I just grabbed a towel and wiped them off as much as I could) and the microwave was not working. I was furious at this point and didn't want to deal with the front desk again nor ruin the weekend for my family so we went through the night with the discrepancies.

The breakfast was nice, waffles, fruit, bagels, yogurt, and more. It was a very pleasant spread.

So we're ready to go home and I go to check-out. Lori, the "front desk manager" waits to finish her conversation with another employee about how she's from the "hood" before she acknowledges me. She takes my key cards and hands me a receipt. I'm walking out the door and realize, she gave me someone else's receipt. I bring it back to her and she says that I told her the wrong room number thats why. I never even gave her a room number so I don't why she said that. After a little eyeball rolling, she finally gave me that correct room receipt, never acknowledged her mistake, never appologized for any of the inconveniences, and didn't even say "thank you" or anything costumer service like at all.

Needless to say, I will never come back here again. This place has gone down the toilet. My one night stay cost me $105.00 and was not worth it at all. There is a brand new hotel behind this one that costs $30 more and I will most deffinately check that one out next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank diana s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Mount Holly, New Jersey, Usa
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I found the hotel very convenient for my monthly trip. People were very helpful and friendly. The only issue I have is the rooms needed to be cleaned earlier and replaced with supplies including the coffee maker. Overall I feel very safe and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Palmer, Alaska
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We had some issues during our stay here. First they overcharged me. She took my card and started telling me how much it was per night and I said I had already made a reservation. She quoted me a price and was charging my card as she was telling me!! I stated, NO that is not what my reservation (which she claimed she couldn't find in the system) said the amount would be and I had to retrieve the paperwork (thank god I printed it out!!). She then said she would put a refund through (which took 3 days). The next two days after this our cards did not work and we had to go to the front desk to get it straightened out. The response for this was "this happens sometimes". Seriously??
Our room had disgusting carpet in it and there was no latch or lock on the bathroom door. We also did not have any blankets on our beds, just sheet and bedspread. In addition, there are no key locks on the outside doors which means anyone could just come right into the hotel from any entrance--even the pool area. The ONLY 2 good thing about this hotel was that we were allowed to have our dog with us.....OH which by the way.....the web site did not mention that having our pet would be an extra $5 a night!! And the housekeeping staff respected our wishes about not coming in and bothering our dog. Therefore, every morning they would always ask if we needed anything.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Mount Holly hotels

Toronto
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Good value, clean, comfortable. Location quiet but not far off the highway. Used it as a stepping stone to Philadelphia.
However, beware of the service charge for Cable TV. It was never mentioned, just added to our bill as "service charge". It was only $1.99 +tax, but it's just one more thing to watch out for.
We didn't even use the TV.
Ask about extra charges before you sign when you check-in.
I would stay there again, still good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the top floor, away from the ice machine
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tequita
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed September 19, 2012

So my hubby, two kids and I decided to make the trip to NY from MD late at night, but we were so tired we decided to find a hotel to rest up and continue the journey the following morning. We found this and a couple other hotels in the same area which were the closest to the exit off the turnpike we were at but compared to the others it was the cheapest. Thankfully we were able to book a room at a reasonable price and just crashed. We woke up early in the morning not out of necessity but because of the unbearable heat in the room. The AC was off in the room when we got in so we had flicked it on and gone to bed thinking that in time it would cool the room down. Not so, the AC was broken so just warm air was coming out of it. Just to ease the temp in the room we opened the door just so some of the cool air from the hallway could come in. We then figured that we might as well pack up and go so I was the first to jump in the shower. Can you believe that the tub started to fill up?! Water was draining so slowly that in 5 mins I was ankle deep in water. I was totally grossed out and so irritated. All I wanted was a good nights rest, clean facilities (which they had since the room was decent) and a nice warm shower. We did complain to the front desk and they were very helpful and sympathetic enough to have us not pay for the room. If I had to still pay for the room there was gonna be hell to pay. It was nice that they do have complimentary breakfast and free wifi and there is an Applebee's and Cracker Barrel right in front of it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank kramn
Bronxville, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Best Western on our vacation the first night of our travels. Great value for your money. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but there is Applebee's and Cracker Barrel right out the front door.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Express Mt. Holly-Exit 5 NJ Tnpk
Best Western Bordentown Inn
Best Western Bordentown Inn
#2 of 11 in Bordentown

Been to Best Western Burlington Inn? Share your experiences!