“Not so impressed”

Dining options: Reservations
Morristown,NJ
“Not so impressed”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Ristorante Civile wants to be a fine dining restaurant. Well, IMHO they have a long way to go. Maybe I just ordered the wrong things, but I seem to have had a different experience than everyone else. Yes, I was well received at the door and taken care of. I was solo so I ate at the bar - such as it is in a BYO. I ordered the burrata, which I love, but it was served so cold that you could not taste the cheese. (By comparison, I just ate in another Italian restaurant where it was served at room temperature, as it should be.) I then ordered the shrimp over white bean ragu. I am a big fan of the Italian concept of "mare e monti", that is, combining seafood with land items such as the beans and mushrooms. I was extremely disappointed. The dish was clumsy with everything seemingly cooked together (and the beans not enough - I'm all for al dente, but not beans.) The tomato covered everything and masked the flavors of the other ingredients. What a pity. It could have been so good with a more deft hand. Dessert was an industrial gelato - Bindi. I may give it one more try, but for what they are charging, they need to get the little things right.

1 Thank bropaul

West Caldwell, New Jersey
“Extrodinary”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

We were greeted at the door as if we were long time friends. The main dining room along side the bar was very nice, it allowed us to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. So we ordered the special of the house which was calamari with red sauce which was absolutely delicious. The fact that you could bring your own booze added a plus to this restaurant. All in all do not miss the opportunity to experience you will not regret it

2 Thank jomar75
New Jersey
“Another great local restaurant in Morris County!”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

For years, my husband and I frequented Civile's on the Hudson in Haverstraw, NY. What a nice surprise to see Ristorante Civile open up near our home in NJ! The old Jonathan's Deli has been transformed into an elegant establishment! The food was wonderful and It's BYOB which is great. I don't have any real complaints, only a couple of suggestions. The wait staff could use a little more training: memorizing the few specials shouldn't be that difficult and they need to be careful when pouring the wine - one server poured a different wine into my wine glass. It may be too late, but it got pretty loud in the dining room - some sound proofing may help. Overall it's a great place!

1 Thank TravelerShari
“Great”
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying I am in the restaurant industry and to say this is a fine restaurant. A brand new restaurant that started off on the right foot. We went on a weekend night. It was busy and where seated in one of the two booths they provide. I would suggest these because the dining room was a bit noisy. It is a BYOB which my wife and I enjoy. They started us off with a mixed basket of bread and flatbreads with a small dish of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. We started the night off with the sautéed escarole with sausage and beans. I mentioned we were going to share it and they split it for us in the kitchen. Then my wife wanted a house salad and I tried the wild boar sausage over lentils with grain mustard. Then our entrees came we had the pork chop on the menu and I had the short rib special both where outstanding. My wife and I both took home food as it was a good portion. Then we split the chocolate cake on the dessert menu which was ok. I also had a great cup of espresso. We give it a must try. Good luck to the owners. Keep up the good work.

2 Thank Fmas1
Denville, NJ
“A Gem among the many BYOB in Morris County”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

What a wonderful evening! We spent a truly beautiful October night outside on the tranquil patio. It was girl's night and our waitress Debbie offered some suggestions. My friend and I split the incredible beet carpaccio. Scrumptious! We followed it up with the Fennel salad . Debbie suggested that we get a half portion of a pasta dish. We chose the mushroom ravioli finished with a truffle oil. Delectable. We wanted to lick the plate! I am huge fan of veal Milanese.Well, come hungry if you order this. It is a huge veal chop encrusted with a crispy panko crust cooked to perfection. We meandered inside the lovely decorated restaurant and finished our dining experience with deliciuos desserts in the "bar area". Spectacular! We are local residents and will spread the word . We will definitely return.

3 Thank Denville_NJDeedee