“Great food!”

Il Villaggio Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 50 Restaurants in Morris Plains
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

I'm delighted to recommend Villaggio. We're regulars there and for good reasons: Great food, really nice people, BYOB, and all at reasonable prices. We mistakenly tried a "new" local BYOB for variety's sake but will never again make that mistake. Villaggio is the REAL DEAL.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

First off, I went to this restaurant on a recommendation and was sorely disappointed. Eating alone, the hostess tried to place me right next to the kitchen door. When I said no, she copped an attitude and moved me to the next booth up. I balked again and moved myself and sat down at an empty booth (there were quite a few available that night).

As far as ambience, there is none. With no carpeting on the floor and bare walls this can be a noisy restaurant when it fills up, as it did when I was there.

I ordered a veal saltimbocca which was average at best. The veal was tough and I had to ask for a steak knife as the silverware that had been provided was a joke (and I had to ask for that as well, along with a glass for the beer I brought with me).

The linguine that accompanied the meal was undercooked and the pasta sauce was "cold" which cooled the pasta too quickly.

All in all, a disappointing experience and enough of a bad one that I am unwilling to give this restaurant another chance. If you like good Italian food, then stay away from Il Villagio.

1  Thank colonialpara
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Quiet unexpectedly we found this restaurant in New Jersey while driving. We initially thought it was a part of the same Villaggio chain that operates in Chiswick and Hammersmith. Villagio means village restaurant in Italian.
Restaurant ambience is great. We ordered Pasta and Pizza and Risotto as Primevera for dinner. Pasta was cooked to perfection and Risotto was a super satisfaction meal. Pizza very authentic italian that stands out even from the one that we get in Chiswick. Service was from a attentive-waitress for what she earnt a well deserved gratuity. Overall I would recommend this village restaurant at anytime.

1  Thank q4quality
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We had dinner at Il Villaggio for the first time. Three different areas to dine in, including a very nice outdoor patio. The salad we had consisted of green beans, tomatoes and potatoes with garlic. Excellent. The tomatoes in particular tasted like they were just picked. Add the 3 different breads and the mozzarella sticks we shared for an appetizer and it was nearly a meal in itself. The mozzarella sticks melt in your mouth. Our main dishes of Ziti with Meatbals and Salmon were both very good. Attentive staff, good service, terrific food in a pleasant atmosphere, plus you will not leave hungry!

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We've gone to Villaggio for decades and can firmly state that we've never had a bad meal. In fact, we've had innumerable excellent meals. We moved away from the area almost two years ago, but always make it a point to go there when visiting. Service is attentive, and no matter how crowded they are, they magically get great food streaming from their kitchen. Prices are reasonable, and Villaggio is one of New Jersey's many BYOB restaurants, which makes for an even better value.

The large side room can accommodate parties, and there is outdoor dinning in an attractive garden setting.