“Oh! My!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arthur's Tavern

Arthur's Tavern
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Gainesville, Florida
“Oh! My!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

We chose Arthur's Tavern based on prior TripAdvisor reviews. We arrived at 1:50 PM on Sunday, they opened at 2 PM. The line was already a half-block long. Someone told us to go inside & get a number. The hostess gave me a number & said we will be able to seat everyone as soon as we open. We were seated by 2;10 PM.
I loved the bucket of pickles & peppers on the table, I like spicy peppers, these were almost too spicy. Almost.
I ordered the Reuben, because it was the closest I was going to get to New York City's delis. The Reuben was fantastic but huge. HUGE. It was open-faced & filled the whole plate. Layered bread, thousand island dressing, corned beef, sauerkraut, and cheese. If I had a place to store leftovers, I would have stopped at half the sandwich. I ate about 3/4s and had to stop.
My husband had the Hot Pastrami sandwich. It was "designed to be a sandwich, but there was so much meat (he) had to reallocate the ingredients."
The wait staff was friendly & efficient.
We were seated on the second floor, overlooking the street & train station. Great view for us tourists.

Wayne, New Jersey
“Best prices I have seen for Steaks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

My wife and I finally made it to Arthurs after seeing the place on the Travel Channel back in March. We waited to long to go, the place is a lot of fun and the food was great. I had a the sirloin and she had the sirloin and shrimp. The steaks were cooked perfectly and the prices were even better. We will be going back.. I have already recommended Arthurs to friends.

Ogdensburg, New Jersey
“Casual lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

Recently ate lunch at Arthur's. I had a very large juicy cheeseburger. Could only finish 1/2. Brought rest home. Best burger I have had in a long time. My daughter had a grilled steak Caesar salad, huge. The food is great, atmosphere nice. A little loud for me. I would recommend Arthur's for a casual outing.

• Visited May 2014
Long Valley, New Jersey
“When they screw up: they go all the way”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

Seven of us went to Arthur's for my birthday dinner Saturday night. I had heard good things about their pickles & steaks. We were seated rather quickly for a large party on a Saturday night; that is the only good part of this experience.

There was a stack of styrofoam plates on the table but under the top one was a chewed up piece of steak YUCK! We finally tackled a bus boy to bring us some of those well-spoken of pickles. We then waited. & Waited. We watched people come in after us sit, order, eat, pay the bill & leave & we still waited for our food.

Our waitress was dismally slow & unfamiliar with the menu. She offered us swaps that weren't available on the menu but took 20 minutes to come back & tell us she couldn't give what SHE suggested (FYI: wings on a Saturday night: not available). We waited 40 minutes for a mozzarella bread appetizer. After 2 hours, we finally got everyones dinner except mine but I did receive my side of mushrooms to top my steak. I was told it was coming right out. 5 minutes pass, everyones food is getting cold so I have them start. We ask where my food is & they say "It's coming". Everyone else was half done at this point. :/

My dinner FINALLY arrives, sirloin & shrimp. The mushrooms were gross & now ice cold. Rubbery & cold with no oil, butter or seasonings. Not even fresh. The shrimp was beyond overcooked: hard rubber & chewy. The last straw with my meal was that the steak was RAW. Seared on the outside but completely raw on the inside. Completely inedible. By the time we got our waitresses attention, I was over the idea of eating there & just wanted to leave. I declined a new dinner, as everyone else was now done with their dinner. She then offered me dessert, which I also declined: I didn't get dinner why the heck would I order dessert?!

The manager(?) Sal then comes over & apologizes for the problem with my dinner. The meal had gone so bad I figured something had to have fallen apart in the kitchen so I said "Things happen but thank you". This is where I got really mad: he told me in a very rude tone that he was comping the charge for my dinner. I told him comping me a dinner that I didn't eat because it was served RAW wasn't "comping" me. He couldn't charge me for something I didn't eat. He became even ruder in tone telling me he would also give me a great discount on the meal, as if any of what had transpired that night was my fault!! Like he was doing me some sort of favor! His whole demeanor irritated the heck out of me. I was no longer willing to forget all the bad service and food I had spent over 2 hours enduring.

When we got the bill- he had removed my main meal and took an additional amount off the bill but still charged me for the stupid soggy mushrooms that I couldn't eat because they were meant to go on my steak that I didn't get. No mention of, or apology to, the 6 other people in my party for the 2+ hour wait for dinner or numerous mistakes.
Sal had a chance to do the right thing on more than one occasion. If I were Sal, I would have packed up a properly cooked dinner with complements to go and a birthday dessert as an apology. That would have sufficed over his rude failed attempt at an apology.

Unsurprisingly, my husband took the remainder of his steak and some ribs to go. When we went to heat it up today for his lunch; there was a nasty HAIR draped across the top of the food. I wouldn't trust eating anything from this place nor would I go there if I wanted a mediocre meal: they couldn't even manage that.

We will be redoing my birthday dinner elsewhere and I will never go to or recommend Arthurs.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Lyn M
Winsted, Connecticut
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

There is always a line out the door of this place when I drive by. The pub area inside had such a cool atmosphere. The pickle bucket on the table was a nice touch and the nachos were incredible. Filet mignon was cooked to perfection, served with great mashed potatoes and arugala salad. I plan on going back soon.

• Visited May 2014