“Very good lunch”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Mostly go for lunch. Food and service were great but it was very noisy. Can't help it with the high ceilings and close tables but this visit seemed especially noisy. All had the fish sandwich because it is the best. Got carrot cake to go which is another favorite!

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We were visiting the area, and many.... many... many internet review sent us to Arthur's Tavern.
WOW so glad we went!

If you go in NOT expecting a high end Steak House you will come out with great experience!

America needs more neighborhood restaurants like Arthur's. This restaurant, and restaurants like this are what would be in small towns across the country if it weren't for the likes of chains like Applebee's.

Local flavors, local support, local favorite - it's that simple!

There is seating upstairs and down, and the bar is downstairs. We fully expected at least a 20 minute wait - but that isn't what we had - we were seated upstairs immediately. They turn tables over very fast - with a constant stream of foot traffic to keep the wait minimal.

OK, let's talk about the food.

1. Who still serves a relish course? ARTHUR'S TAVERN! Pickles on the table - the pickles were fantastic! Great pickles with a nice fresh CRUNCH! Such a great start! We each looked at each other multiple times with the look on our face "Pickles?!" "Why Pickles!?"
2. Portion size - HUGE - no matter what you order, you will not leave hungry!
3. My wife had the braised pork, my in-laws had the meatloaf, and I had the signature of the house "Our Steak". Everything was fantastic! The famous potatoes are an oven roasted spicy potato - but not too spicy, just enough. (I don't like spicy!)

OK, now on to the "Our Steak" It is likely called "Our Steak" because multiple people could easily leave stuffed after ordering "Our Steak". IT IS HUGE! And SOOOOO delicious! It is a great cut, well seasoned (I don't like much seasoning on steak, and this was perfect), and cooked exactly to ordered. Med-Well with a little red/pink in the middle. It was so flavorful - and they hadn't trimmed it to death, so the natural pieces of fat around the edges were crisped to perfection. It is a ribeye - so fi you like ribeye - you'll love "Our Steak". If you are more of a fan of a petite filet... this may not be your 'cut'.

We had a great time, we weren't rushed, and we all agreed that it was a fantastic choice!

If in you are in Morris Plains, you can't leave without a visit to Arthur's Tavern, it is incredible!

Stay awesome, Arthur's!

Reviewed May 14, 2013

There are times when my mouth is watering for a GOOD steak or burger. When this happens, we go to Arthur's. Their beef is tender, juicy and ALWAYS cooked to order. They have a simple menu, http://www.arthurstavern.com/menus.html, with daily lunch and dinner specials. Most entrees are a la carte, but the sides are worth the extra couple of bucks. Oh, each table also has a pickled veggie bowl - it might have pickles & peppers or cole slaw and pickles...you never know!
There's an upstairs dining area with a great view of Morris Plains and the downstairs dining area is by the bar - a great pub atmosphere! The servers are always friendly too.
In the mood for a French Dip? You may not find it on the menu, but they have one of the BEST because it's real steak on their famous fresh bread with melted cheese.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We live so close to Arthur's Tavern we drop in often but be advised, timing is everything. If you stop by at about 7 PM on a Saturday evening you will most certainly be waiting and Arthur's does not take reservations.

My wife had the burger, piled high with tomato, lettuce, onion and melted cheese. I had the salisbury steak. Both were very good. This is not a gourmet restaurant but rather an Irish Pub type of place - noisy, crowded and very casual.

Because prices are reasonable at Arthur's there is tendency to over eat and most guests leave with a doggy bag. And it's not like they make up what they don't charge on the food on drinks - beer and wine prices are very reasonable too.

We will certainly be back to Arthur's again and again.

1  Thank Richard F
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I guess I have the wrong impression going in, as I was expecting more of a high-end steakhouse. That said, I have no real criticisms, just no rave review. The food was "just ok", nothing more, nothing less. I was there with a large group and the service was quite good considering. The noise level was high, but we may have contributed our share.

1  Thank Marty S