“There are better options in the area unless you want to revisit the 70s”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Aldo & Gianni

Aldo & Gianni
Ranked #3 of 30 Restaurants in Montvale
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York, New York, United States
“There are better options in the area unless you want to revisit the 70s”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

The staff is friendly and welcoming on arrival, causing us to have high expectations. As we were seated and looked around we saw that the decor is outdated and the restaurant is in need of a good cleaning. The tables are too close together and the loud lady sitting at the table next to us was annoying. This was especially troubling given the restaurant wasn't packed so there was no need to place all the tables near each other.

The bread was already on the table when we got there, and tasted like it had been there for a few hours. I ordered a caesar salad which was way too salty with limp lettuce and a brown heavy dressing. It wasn't a classic caesar at all. Others got the house salad that came with their meal and complained that it was soggy and just comprised of iceberg with onions and maybe a tomato.

Reviews on the entrees were mixed. My daughter's country chicken looked good and she liked it, but wouldn't order it again. it I had the eggplant appetizer and really enjoyed that. Seems like I was the lucky one as my husband ordered a spaghetti dish that disappointed him and was tasteless. Our friend order manicotti, but they delivered a baked pasta special to him. When we told the waiter, he said, "oh well, my mistake, i hope you enjoy it." There was no offer to get the proper meal or take it off the bill. He ate it because he was hungry. Enjoyment of it would be an overstatement.

We didn't stick around for dessert after the salads and dinners. The servers were present and attentive, except for the incorrect dish being served.

• Visited March 2013

Snellville, Georgia
“Old style Family Restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

This restaurant has the feeling of someithing out of the Godfather movie. You can see tables around you that have regulars that fit in like family. Nice mix of families, couples, and business folks were enjoying a Monday night visit. It was pretty full for an off night and there was plenty of staff. This was my first visit but I am guessing it looks the same today as years ago. White table clothes and close seating. At first our server was very attentive. But then we were the only table in the back room and as it filled he was the only server and got swamped. I ordered the veal marsala and it was average at best. The veal was slightly tough and the dish lacked flavor. Neither the meat or the sauce had much going on and I would have appreciated if the chef had tasted it. I got the feeling that it was made on "auto pilot" and missed the attention that would have made it a great dish. My friend had a stuffed chicken dish that he said was very good. Our meal came with a salad that was basically some tired out lettuce and covered in oniions to strong to eat. The salad was soaking in a bitter vinegar and oil dressing. After our server brought entree's he never looked at us again as he was busy with the rest of the room. I was hoping to get a second glass of Chianti to go with my veal but it was hopeless as I could never get his attention. It would have been nice if he was more skilled or if mgmt had given him support for his tables. We did not try desserts but the cakes looked really good. Overall this visit was OK but I am guessing that some other visit it could be good depending on the attention to food and better service.

Visited February 2013
Peterborough, New Hampshire
“Great italian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Good traditional dishes. Killer desserts. The chef knows how to make a good red sauce. Big portions, enough to bring home some.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Chris M
gorgeous hudson valley
“Bella Bella Bell!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had no menu, but called the restaurant and just ordered what we wanted. Aldo, the owner took our call and told us the specials. His authentic Italian accent made me know we were in for a great meal. We asked for spaghetti with olive oil and garlic and he said ''sure, sure, I make that for you, I make anything for you!" We also ordered the cavatelli special with chicken and sun dried tomatoes, an anitpasta (salad with meats and cheeses), and a side of sausage. We were given a delicious loaf of bread as well as a container of Parmesan cheese. Aldo asked if we needed any plates/utensils since we were at the hotel~how great is that! The concierge at the hotel, Marion, gave us the thumbs up when we asked about Aldo's, and he was right!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank 2toots
Buda, Texas
“Still going strong --”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

We've been coming to Aldo and Gianni on our trips to North Jersey for fifteen years at least, and we look forward to it every time. Yes, it's in a small strip mall (although if you rule out strip mall restaurants in NJ you can miss some truly great eats). But the welcome is unfailingly warm, service is quick and professional, and the cooking is truly outstanding. At various times I've ranged across most of the menu -- if there's sole, you're in luck, and once Aldo's Stracciatella pretty much cured a tenacious head-cold-and-achy-joints situation in just about fifteen minutes (I am not making that up...). Last night's visit featured veal -- my wife really liked her veal Milanese -- and I went back to basics with fettucine alla Bolognese, which was outstanding. My prosciutto starter lit up the joint, and the semolina bread was as great as ever. If you don't finish up with cannoli, well, come back next time and don't miss it.

The clientele is not so much young-and-hip as older and really knowledgeable about Italian food; noise levels easily allow conversation, and there's a very good wine selection too. Over the years Aldo and Gianni's has gotten even better, if anything -- we'll always have it on our list.

• Visited December 2012