“Delivery- not bad but not amazing”

Gen Sushi & Hibachi
Ranked #11 of 33 Restaurants in Montvale
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I was visiting the Montvale area for work and had ordered hibachi delivery from Gen one night for dinner. The food was tasty but instead of the typical white sauce with hibachi it was an odd brown-mustardy-sauce, which I didn't personally like. Delivery was relatively fast and the food was still piping hot. The only inconvenience was that my meal was $21 and a colleague had wanted sushi for herself for $6 but we had to pay separately and since the delivery minimum was $10, they made her order more. Even though we were literally eating together. It wasn't a deal breaker but just seemed like their customer service could have been a little better on that matter.

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

A few coworkers and I came for lunch. The place needs to be cleaner and more updated. Service is not that great. And the sushi is average. No gluten free soy sauce :-(

Reviewed January 26, 2014

The food was actually not bad, but I agree with the other reviewers that the service was absolutely abhorrent. My wife and I went with a friend and our kids, so there were 6 of us. The place was practically empty but they were visibly annoyed that we did not have a reservation. They had to call the manager over before giving us a table. The waitress was not particularly rude but certainly did not go out of her way to warrant the automatic 20% tip that they tacked on to our already overpriced check. We paid our bill and a waitress brought us our change. We left the restaurant and decided that we would probably not be returning. But, it did not end there, the waitress came running out to the parking lot after us and accused us of not paying the bill. I assured her that we did pay the bill to the other waitress who came to pick up the check. She said that the other waitress was not our waitress and that we should not have paid her. She finally told us we could go. I did not want them thinking that we tried to stiff them so I insisted on going back into the restaurant with her to point out the waitress who took our money but she seemed very reluctant to confront the other waitress. The manager came out and I explained to him that we paid the other waitress. For some reason he would not call the other waitress out to confirm my story, instead, he said he believed me and apologized. That was it, just an insincere apology. He could have at least offered to give me back the 20% tip that they presumptuously added to out bill! Judging from all the other bad reviews, I don't think this place will be in business very long unless they change their attitude.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We had an awful experience in this restaurant. Please read the reviews before you go there! I wish I did ... We were supposed to have a nice lunch with the family. The place was empty (should be busy as it Saturday /lunch time)
We asked for hot green tea - got a weird slightly green cold mixture of nothing close to green tea.... Waited... the waitress finally came and asked "do you want menus?" Nothing like "Hello. welcome.. etc etc"
We said "sure this would be great!" I think this is what happens in restaurants - they give you menus???? Brings plates - deposits her fingers in there... We asked politely pls bring us clean plates ... Brings Miso soup with her fingers in there again... Brings California rolls - we find hair actually wrapped inside the sushi roll!!! Told her about this.. She proceeds to unwrap the roll, pulls a very long hair out of the sushi and examines it in front of us - YUCK ! then she keeps looking at us (4 of us) trying to identify whose hair can be in there... Luckily we were not good matches for it (all of us had short hair) She kept talking to another girl in Japanese in front of us.. they kept looking at the hair and at us.. at this point we were getting annoyed to say the least – we came to have food and not to play a discovery game – guess what is lurking in your sushi roll…
The whole situation was disgusting, totally gross... The waitresses were rude, loud and obnoxious - there was no effort to say "so sorry etc etc"
I think they did us a huge favor letting us into this disgusting place where waitresses handle cash and put their fingers into human food, where sushi contains human DNA.. YUCK! Read the reviews for this place... so many people had the same experience.. We asked for the manager to call us - still no phone call... They do not care.. what is 4 customers to them when the place is dead to begin with… There are so many great authentic Japanese places out there – luckily we have options…

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Eat here all the time, great for take out. Reasonable lunch specials. Nicest people that work here. Always fresh.