“Fun Atmosphere”

Cuban Pete's
Ranked #23 of 210 Restaurants in Montclair
Cuisines: Cuban, Spanish
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Nicely decorated restaurant with outdoor dining, children friendly, food was good, LOUD. First time there with family, so we had a fun time. Luckily got there at 4, before the long wait, which I hear could be a couple of hours. Being a vegetarian, I was able to order a garden payea and my husband had the skirt steak. Had little cuban sandwiches, tapas and goat cheese for appetitizers. Food was okay.

There are newer reviews for Cuban Pete's

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Nicely decorated restaurant with outdoor dining. Food very good with really interesting side dishes.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Had a good time only because I was on my first date.....but I kinda felt awkard because I had to scream across the table to be heard by my date. Food didn't really have any flavor to it. And I felt like there was no liquor in the drinks ....and Im not really a drinker. Overall I will not be returning to this place.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

After my NJ-based sister N. saw our dinner pictures at Bairrada in Mississauga, she immediately suggested that we should try Cuban Pete's Restaurant in Montclair, which has a better concentration of good gourmet restaurants compared to Livingston and East Hanover, the area where she lives. Cuban Pete's has a very nice setting that makes you feel like you're at the same time in Havana and inside a theme park restaurant.

I don't think it was just because it was Mother's Day the day we went, but Cuban Pete's was packed. There were many waiting to get a table and we finally got ours after waiting for 30 minutes. That's actually not bad.

We ordered Cuban Pete's signature Sangria to drink. It came in a pitcher with apples, oranges, and citrus and we had to stir it. The alcohol content of the drink is only 0.5% so it was good for my parents and niece.

We opted to just order three main courses so that we could try more of Cuban Pete's signature tapas. This way, we would be eating just enough at the same time be able to sample the specialties of the house. By this time, we were already fully aware how enormous American servings are. For tapas, we ordered Chicharon de Pollo (chicken lollipop), Bocaditos de Sandwich Cubano, Masitas de Puerco (Crispy pork), and Chorizo al Vino. For main courses, Nor highly recommended the Churrasco, which is Guarapo-marinated skirt steak, whatever that means, Havana-style Suckling Pig, and Paella.

We fully enjoyed this meal, perfect taste, food servings just the right quantity to avoid overeating, and in a cozy setting. This is one of the better meals in our entire trip, much, much better than Bairrada in Mississauga.

1  Thank Jeffrey L
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Novel type place. Food was pretty good, wait was ridiculous. This is they type of place you go to one time and say gee it was good, it was fun but nothing is worth the wait.