“Artfully arranged tacos”

Villalobos
Ranked #35 of 219 Restaurants in Montclair
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed February 16, 2017

We wanted to have dinner prior to a movie and doing a little internet research we settled on Villalobos. This restaurant does have many categories of items on the menu, but the offerings they have give one many choices. For example, they have four kinds of quacamole, I think five or six choices of salsa, and seven or eight kinds of tacos. Each choice is creative and many involve delightful combinations that I had never had before. The presentation is beautiful.

This is a BYO restaurant and they offer many kinds of drinks, but none of them is a very good margarita mixer.

The service was attentive and thoughtful.

The house made tortillas are delicious.

Reviewed February 14, 2017

Loft-like space, outdoor bench looks inviting, lighting and service are good, but somehow the food did not impress. The little buckets of chips are cute, and the guac was tasty, but the mini tacos were so-so, and the menu is very limited. Was a girl's night and we liked the ambience, but not much reason to go back.

Reviewed January 19, 2017

We went for dinner but didn't arrive until 20 minutes to 10. I didn't think they would serve us. They couldn't have been nicer. I asked when the kitchen closes and our incredible waiter Sean, answered as long as you're here the kitchen is open. Limited menu left me few options. Chose chileqilles and shrimp tacos. OMG. As cranky as I started I just fell in love with Villalobos. My sweetie loved the flavorful carnitas, filled with tasty morsels of pork with grated manchego cheese. Ready for the check when Sean mentioned fresh homemade churros. Wow. Warm and perfect with a warm lush chocolate sauce for dipping. What a surprisingly excellent dinner!

Reviewed December 4, 2016 via mobile

This is one of our "go to" local restaurants and never disappoints. It's a creative menu, very friendly service, food is always well prepared, well presented, and tastes great!
The guacamole choices are wonderful.

Reviewed November 6, 2016

The decor is nice, and the menu interesting, but the food was just OK - maybe it was what we ordered. Traditional guac was fresh, but nothing great. We each got two tacos. They are very small for the price, maybe a 3" soft tortilla that you could get for $2-$3 from a taco truck. The rock shrimp had so much breading and sauce, nothing else could be tasted. The cod taco had no taste at all - just breading. An irritant, pushing the review from a 3 to a 2, was that when I asked for Tabasco, I was brought salsa that appeared on the bill. I asked to have the charge removed because I feel the customer should be notified if there are fees for items like a few tbsp of a condiment, or bread etc before serving. After a bunch of push back, they did take it off the bill. Staff in general were too preoccupied with closing duties/resetting tables, and never came to our table unless we flagged them down. There appeared to be no manager supervision on this Saturday evening. Too bad - was looking for a good Mexican restaurant in Montclair, or at least one that has hot sauce LOL.

1  Thank tmmrd