“Not worth the wait.”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 12, 2019

We sat down at 7:00 ... it was 7:20 before we received menus (after asking several times) ... it was 8:00 before appetizers came out (again after several inquiries) ... and almost 9:00 before entrees arrived. That's way too slow, no matter how you look at it. I get that it was Saturday night, but that's a bad excuse -- any restaurant should be able to handle a Saturday night crowd, and nobody should have to wait 2 hours for dinner. It would have been almost okay ... almost ... if the food, when it finally arrived, had been exceptional ... but it was mediocre at best. My wife ordered zuppe de pesce, but what came was a seafood fra diavolo, over pasta -- a decent rendering, but not what she ordered. I ordered something called "salmon ossobucco", because it sounded intriguing ... but what came was a couple of scallops curled inside a piece of overcooked salmon filet on a thin bed of spinach -- why they elected to call that an "ossobucco" was never convincingly explained. Others at our table had similar complaints. I'm not sure why this place gets such glowing reviews ... maybe too many of the regulars happened to be off the night we were there ... but with so many consistently good Italian restaurants in this area, I don't think we'll be back.

Date of visit: May 2019
Write a reviewReviews (35)

Reviewed December 14, 2018

I have been wanting to come to La Couronne for years. This is a small intimate Italian restaurant in downtown Montclair.

The food and the service was delicious. The service could not have been more attentive. The bread was freshly baked and crispy and was great when loaded in butter.

Our table shared a thin crusted pizza, one side topped with broccoli rabe and the other by sauted onions. It was crisp, had a spiciness to the sauce and the flavors blended nicely. The vegetables were really fresh. I had a stuffed chicken with cheese and mushrooms in a lemon wine sauce that well-prepared and seasoned.

The profiteroles were delicious but do not look the picture. They were still good.

The service was attentive and friendly.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed September 23, 2018 via mobile

We were in the area and were hungry. This was a first restaurant we saw. Little that we knew it was a GEM! We were treated at the door by the owner and were seated. Place was almost full, people kept in coming!!! We ordered shrimp rack and it was something that we never tasted before. Words can't describe the amazing taste of this dish! We also ordered chicken alla Maria and lobster ravioli as well as penne alla vodka. Everything was very well constructed on the dish and the taste is to be raved about! I dont even know where to start because every single bite of food was mouthwatering, well cooked, and absolutely deliciously amazing. For desert we got profiteroles and ot was better than good! Service was superb!!!! Definitely coming back even of it requires driving from Brooklyn!!!

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed March 12, 2018 via mobile

Food was great, service was excellent and prices were reasonable. My wife had Rack of lamb special she said was one of the best she ever had. I had Zuppa Di Pesce Fra Di Avolo which I would recommend.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed January 21, 2018 via mobile

La Courrone served us promptly with very good pasta, penne vodka was very good. We had to go around the corner to buy wine. Friendly atmosphere and quiet. A nice choice for casual dining.

Date of visit: January 2018