“From to table Jersey Fresh!”
Review of Escape - CLOSED

Escape
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Escape is an innovative, locavore restaurant specializing in southern fine cuisine. At Escape, Chef Bryan Gregg's focus is to break new ground on the culinary landscape by showcasing the finest locally-sourced ingredients in a fresh, creative way.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Nice small restaurant and tasty fresh meal... Good ingredients , creative dishes...a healthy and satisfying plate! Perfect before a movie or with another couple.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is really a concept restaurant, based on the farm-to-table craze. At least in the summer, most of the food is locally sourced. I don't know what they'll do in the winter time. You can get local cheeses and hams to start along with fabulous baked goods. It's a constantly changing menu, but it is always possible to find something that appeals, although occasionally not for my vegetarian daughter. The service is top notch and the food is very good. It's a bit on the pricey side, but the fact that it is BYO mitigates that.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I arrived hungry, having skipped breakfast, and at the advice of my dining companion, we both opted for the prix fixe. At $15, it's quite a value.

The maitre d seated me upon my arrival, and I sat and waited in what was an otherwise empty dining room until my dining companion arrived. While that was a little strange--to not be offered so much as a menu or a glass of water while I waited--it certainly wasn't a deal breaker, as it gave me an opportunity to wonder around a bit and snap a few photos.

I was surprised that my friend had brought a bottle of sparkling wine that was quickly served, with the remainder put on ice to chill. We were given menus, and were delighted to see a few new additions, such as a hanger steak and a pulled pork.

I opted to start with mussels, served in a delightful light broth with just the right seasoning topped with a hint of shaved onion. A delicious change of pace from the usual serving in a white wine or a tomato broth.

I followed with a skillet fried chicken--all dark meat--that was seasoned to perfection. The skin was super crispy, while the meat was juicy and tender. I seldom get to enjoy fried chicken that is not simply deep fried, and this was a real treat. The breading, the spicy seasoning, I'm starting to get hungry for it again as I type! Even the slaw strayed from the traditional mayo base. It was done in a spicy aioli type of sauce, and it packed a bit of a punch--an impressive slaw to say the least. My only regret is that my corn bread side was served as an ap rather than with the chicken. The corn bread was sweet with just the right amount of salt, served up in a basket of about 6-8 almost a two bite-sized pieces. The only thing that would have been better about the corn bread were if it were to have a bit of fresh corn kernels in to add a little texture.

The word I got on the pork belly grits is that it was a dish of rich, buttery goodness, with a nice flavor and consistency. The pork looked to be done just right as well, with a soft, tender texture.

They had fried okra today, served in a tempura style, with a spicy remoulade dipping sauce. Just the right amount of snap in the okra with a very crisp breading but not overtly oily.

Good modern take on southern style eating today.

A vanilla root beer float in a mason jar, and a sugar coated fudge browny with a coarsely ground mixed nut capped off with a little whipped cream.
The fact that we were the only diners at noon does not take away from the fact that the service was friendly and attentive, without being overbearing or intrusive. The only minor hiccup being the corn bread side being served ahead of the apps, rather than along side my chicken, but may just have been my expectation rather than a faux pas.

With the changes/additions to the menu happening rather rapidly, and the quality of a meal they're offering for $15, I'll be sure to return for lunch, and I'm excited to try dinner as well.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

What a wonderful dinner in a lovely new restaurant where the food is all freshly prepared using ingredients from local farmers. We were told that the bread and desserts are all made on premises and they were delicious and fresh. We shared appetizers of Foie Gras, Crawfish with Grits, Jersey Field tomatoes and each were outstanding. For our main course, the salmon was excellent as was the venison and chicken and although the portions were a bit small, we each enjoyed our selection. The presentation is picture-perfect and the staff was very welcoming. It is reasonably priced and it is recommended that you make a reservation to enjoy this restaurant. We will definitely return.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I love that it's a farm to table restaurant, big fan of supporting local farmers, and will go back again as my favorite summer and fall fruits and veggies become available. Our host and the wait staff were clearly invested in our satisfaction. The waiter encouraged us to try the mac n cheese and grits. Mac n cheese? good. Grits? REDONK. Didn't try dessert but we indulged in two sets of five cheeses for the six of us and they were interesting and delicious. We left there very satisfied for about $100 per couple. Very good for fresh food. Will be back.