“Peru in Montclair”

Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Park Street
Transit: NJ Transit Train Walnut Street Station on the Montclair-Boonton line. From station walk north on Walnut Street to N. Fullerton Ave. Turn left on N. Fullerton Ave. and walk to Bloomfield Ave. Make a right turn on Bloomfield Ave., and end on 511 Bloomfield Ave.
Description: At Costanera Restaurant, we take pride in offering Montclair the bold flavors of authentic Peruvian cuisine! More than just a nationwide trend here in the states, Peruvian food has a legacy as one of the world's greatest cuisines. At Costanera Restaurant, we bring you classics like Estofado de Pollo and Parihuela Costanera using only the finest ingredients available. Our chef and owner Juan Andres Placencia works closely with local farms and vendors to guarantee that everything from our tomatoes to our chicken is not only fresh, but of the highest quality. Bring a bottle of your favorite wine and unwind with family or friends while we prepare your meal to order. From our raw bar to tempting small plates to satisfying entrees, you're sure to be pleased with the flavors of Peru at Costanera Restaurant!
New Jersey
“Peru in Montclair”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Great intro to Peruvian food....great ceviche and veggie items...washed down with shots of leche de tigre. Staff are friendly and knowledgeable. Great desserts

BYOB

• Visited July 2012

New Jersey
“Closed early and deadbolted the door with patrons inside”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We went to Costanera on Sunday at 7:20PM. The hours are posted that the kitchen is open until 9PM. The first thing we noticed was that the door was dead bolted shut with restaurant patrons inside which has to be a major fire hazard not to mention a fire violation. We thought it was strange that the restaurant was dead bolted while people were inside so we called and got a recording that said that the kitchen was closing at 7:30PM despite the fact that the sign in the window said that the kitchen was open until 9PM. We understand that things happen where restaurants have to close early. While we thought it was a little strange that they would close early, what we really thought was strange was that they would dead bolt the door with lots of customers inside! What if they had an emergency? We have eaten there many of times but given today's circumstances it is unlikely we will go there again.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Brianccc
New York
“So unique and delicious!”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We happened upon Costanera accidentally and were so glad we did. The food is so fun, fresh, unique and delicious. Seriously, everything we tried was delicious. I cannot recall the Peruvian names of the dishes but there is a lot of quinoa used in their cooking which I love. I had the Peruvian Paella equivalent and it was out of this world! My husband had the steak this time which he said was a bit fatty, but he's not a big steak eater. My girls are vegetarian and had many choices. I would definitely return and recommend this great restaurant which is beautifully decorated and has courteous and attentive staff.

• Visited July 2012
Springfield, New Jersey
“Below average food and terrible customer service!”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

First and last time visiting costanera with a party of 7. I felt that the fried potatoes were too greasy and the other juancaina with papa and yucca was not how Peruvian traditional serve it. I can only say that I tasted the lomo and it was extremely salty. I could barely eat it. Very one that ordered it said the same thing. Spent half the night drinking water. I have eaten at many Peruvian restaurants and have traveled to peru and this had to be the worse version of lomo!!!!
The worse part of the whole experience was that the waiter spilled the lomo sauce all over my husband and we did not even get an apology and the manager never came up to us. At the end of the meal they told us to call on Monday or Tuesday so the owner can pay for the shirt to be dry cleaned. That's it! I was expecting at least dessert and an apology. We did not even bother calling for the 3.50 for dry cleaning. Lost consumer! I really think a real restaurant with decent consumer service would have handled this differently!

Parsippany, NJ
“Good food in a pretty place”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I've eaten twice and the vegetarian dish at 14 is very good and reasonably priced. The food is very good though a few other items are on the expensive side. The waiter was pleasant and helpful.

Visited April 2012