“Very enjoyable experience”
Review of Halcyon

Halcyon
Reserve with OpenTable
Halcyon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 207 Restaurants in Montclair
Transit: Walnut Street NJ Transit Station
new jersey
“Very enjoyable experience”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was our 3rd visit to Halcyon and we have never been disappointed. The grilled artichoke appetizer was excellent !!! Entrees very good as was the service. We will be back.

• Visited August 2013

Saddle River, New Jersey
“Good but...”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We went to dinner on a Friday evening and although the food was good, there are some serious issues with the restaurant.

First of all, the parking at the rear of the building is totally inadequate given the size of the restaurant. After circling for 15 minutes and I parked several blocks away at the train station. The neighborhood doesn't seem fantastic and if it were not summer, I would have been hesitant to walk to my car after dinner.

The other MAJOR issue with the restaurant is the noise level. The walls are marble and as such they do NOTHING to diminish the patrons conversations. As a result, it is extremely noisy and we had trouble having a conversation at our table.

We also had the misfortune of having a large party sitting near us that was celebrating a birthday. This party thought is was okay to bring a young child (under the age of 3) to the dinner and there were shrieks and yells periodically throughout the evening.

The food was good. As appetizers our table had a flatbread that was huge and more than enough for all to share. We also had the artichokes that were excellent and the salmon 3 ways. One of the salmon dishes was excellent but the others were nothing to rave about.

There was a special of the day that was a veal dish. My husband had it and he thought it was exceptional. The scallop dish also received favorable accolades as did the linguine with clams and the tuna.

However, the parking and noise level issues would make me choose other venues for future meals.

• Visited August 2013
New Jersey
“Many restaurants to chose from”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Let me begin by saying that I am somewhat more critical then others based on my vast travel and restaurant experiences. The ambiance is very appealing and the staff very attentive. The food presentation is also very pleasant to view, but the food needs to be re-examined based on flavor and seasonings. I tried the short ribs burger and expected a flavor sensation, instead I found it to be bland, and in comparing it to a regular all beef burger at Smash Burger, I would have smash burger on top. It is not the use of the short ribs meat, but rather the bland seasoning when taking a bite. The clam cake was also nicely presented but bland in taste. Maybe my taste sensations are more sensitive to taste, but they were just ok, not a wow dish. The clams were better, but the juice somewhat saltier and sandy broth. I would be back but with so many other eating establishments in Montclair, I would give some other a visit before determining the best value restaurant to recommend. So to summarize, nice ambiance, nice service, food somewhat bland.

• Visited June 2013
aspen
“One of the Best in Montclair”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Halcyon has a special elegant, yet neighborhood atmosphere and excellent original fare. We had the duck salad and the 3 kinds of salmon appetizer...enough for 4 people so we all shared, and it was excellent. The curried shrimp entre was mouthwatering. Upstairs is quieter, but still really unusual and pretty. It's easier for us to hear each other up there, but the downstairs is aethetically beautiful. The bar came from a special establishment in Belgium and was sent by ship in several pieces. If you have a chance, sit there before or after your meal!
Sharon and Chris Egan are known for their design...they do it like no other entrepeneurs, and Halcyon is their hallmark. If another reviewer went there and it wasn't crowded, it was either a blistering summer weekend and everyone was out of town, or it was a Tuesday. I will say, the servers may need more training...they are a little lackadaisical and unsophisticated.

There are a lot of choices in this town, and Halcyon has never disappointed me.

• Visited July 2013
Fort Lee, NJ
“Very good food. Great service.”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The appetizers here are excellent. We loved the pizza appetizer so much we ordered a second one. The staff is very accommodating and knowledgeable about the menu. A nice place for a romantic dinner or special celebration. Very nice atmosphere.

Visited May 2013