“Nice BYOB, great food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Nice BYOB, great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

I went here before a concert at the Wellmont. I had a restaurant.com coupon and I was anxious to give it a try.
Everything was delicious and well presented. They also offer a price fix menu and a full menu. It is a cozy environment and very friendly. Worth a look!

Visited June 2011

Montclair, New Jersey
“Place is not the same. Same owner/chief but food way off.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

The service in the past as be good, bad and clumsy but the food was always pretty good. Last night's visit was very disappointing. We always love the bread. But tonight the bread was not warm and really not the same. Followed by the Rusticia salad which had very little taste. Had very very little salad dressing. We both had penne with vodka. One was plain and the other with chicken. Both dishes arrived like soup. The place tried correctly but really was not up to par.

Cedar Grove, NJ
“Strike one, Strike two, Strike three, you're out.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

We gave this place three chances and they struck out. We won't be going back. Okay, so today's Valentine's day. You'd think they'd be on their game. We ordered a salad, it was pretty good. I was going to order the 4-cheese ravioli special, that came with some kind of pork and I forget what else, but with a butter-wine sauce. We were seated right near the chef's area and when I asked the waiter whether or not the dish could be made with a red sauce, because you could smell it in the air, it smelled really good, the chef came up with a few suggestions about how it could be made, and in the end, I said I'd have the special, only with the red sauce. Fine. Well, our dinners come out and mine ended up being just cheese ravioli in a red sauce, but since it was Valentine's day I didn' t want to make a fuss, after all I was with my guy and it was supposed to be a romantic dinner. When we got the check, however, they charged us for the special. I spoke to the waiter and he said he'd check on it, and the chef comes back and says it doesn't matter, they're the same price! Really. a regular pasta menu item is the same price as a special on Valentines day? My companion's meal was only so-so and also overpriced, plus his dessert (tiramisu) was still partially frozen, and my coffee was cold. The first time we came, his dinner was eh, mine was great, the service was awful and it wasn't busy. The second time we came, his dish was great, mine was eh, mediocre experience. Overall, mediocre and inconsistent dining in a relatively nice atmosphere. Not going back.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank DiBrenn
Montclair, New Jersey
“Will not return, and I suggest you don't either”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

After 13 years in the restaurant industry myself, this is the first bad review I have written about a restaurant EVER.

I have been to Rustica one time previously to this, ok experience: not awful, not amazing. However, I went to Rustica again recently and am determined not to return.

My biggest issue is the credit card fraud that they blatantly did after we left. We had a $25 gift certificate to put toward the bill. The server then put an 18% gratuity on the total bill, which was fine with me. We then tipped ON TOP of the gratuity, bringing the server's total tip well above 25% of the total check, before the gift certificate was taken out. You think that would be enough? Well, after we left, an additional $15 was charged to our card, that we did not authorize. This is illegal.

For a two-top, we were a server's dream check: 2 apps, 1 salad, 2 expensive entrees, dessert, espresso, 25+% tip, didn't linger after dessert. I would not have come here if I didn't already have a gift certificate, and I regret that I did.

This alone does not make me want to return, however, on top of that, the portion sizes were miniscule compared to the first time I dined at Rustica. The salmon entree had at best, 3oz of fish. The steak entree was also on the small side. The sides that came along with it were also extremely small. EVERY plate we ordered (except the salad) was small in portion. After the aforementioned 2 apps, 1 salad, 2 entrees and dessert, I left hungry.

Service: we saw the server to take our order, drop the entrees, take the dessert order, and drop the check. The bus staff is phenomenal though, incredibly attentive and amiable. The bus staff is the only reason why I didn't rate this zero stars; they earned their star and then some. The server also yanked the gift certificate out of my husband's hand extremely aggressively, which was incredibly rude. I suggest counseling.

In short: I will not return. I will continue to frequent places with incredible food and service, particularly Giotto.

• Visited January 2012
3 Thank a d
Bloomfield, New Jersey
“An Insulting New Year's Dinner From a Restaurant I Love.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

Rustica is usually a great value - really good food at a reasonable price (not cheap but fair for what they usually provide). So I thought going for New year's made sense - even with the $75 prix fixe menu - because I thought I'd at least love the food.

My first surpirse was that the menu offered only a first course - salad, soup or appetizer and and entree (dessert was also to come). For $75, I would have thought they could have provided a salad/soup, plus an appetizer and entree. That would have felt a bit more generous without cutting too much into their profit for the evening.

Unfortuantely, the special new items (to make it seem worth the price) such as filet mignon and short ribs were horrible, without flavor, and such small portions (as the old joke goes). Even the "special" volcano chocolate cake was tasteless - seemed as if they stocked up at Costco.

I would have suggested sticking with their tried and true classics such as pastas, veal milanese, etc and charge only $50 - again, still a nice mark-up for them on new year's eve, but giving their customers the type of good deal (great food, fair price) they've become accustomed to from this neigborhood favorite.

Now, it will be a long while before I return for a regular dinner.

• Visited December 2011