“Good local spa!”

The Woodhouse Day Spa
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've been here several times and find it to be a very relaxing spa. The atmosphere is great and the massages and facials are very good too. There gift certificates make great gifts for Mom, sisters, teachers or friends. Give it a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Though the staff and atmosphere are very welcoming, this is truly an average spa environment and my therapist was just average at best. This is the type of location that wishes to be a lot more but can only really achieve impressing novices.

Locker Area - very small with the basic necessities. There's only one shower and one changing room. There's certainly no steam or sauna offered here.

Quiet/Relaxation Room -- if you turn off the "spa" music and brighten the lights, it can easily be anywhere in the US dental/doctor's office. There's not a lot of comfy seating choices. My bedroom is bigger than the space provided. There's a small water dispenser (which had no ice when I visited) and ONE type of tea offered. Older magazines are offered with many repetitive offerings. It's extremely basic and very bare bones. I also found my wait to be longer than expected. You are in essence, stuck with nothing to do but hear "first time spa visitors" gush over everything (entertaining and perplexing).

Massage Session - again, rather basic treatment rooms with the same music as the Quiet Room (you usually get a choice of what you want to listen to). The rooms were nevertheless comfortable with the appropriate level of lighting. My therapist was just at the average level. A few things:
1. she never asked me if the pressure was appropriate
2. when i asked for firmer pressure (as indicated on the form completed) - she applied WAY too much pressure.
3. i could tell right away that she lacks knowledge of how to truly address muscles and her client's anatomy.
4. my husband's massages are probably at the same level as what was provided by this therapist -- you go to a spa for a trained professional
5. i couldn't see the connection between my answers on the questionnaire and the service delivered
6. you must always deliver an even body massage -- she left one side of my body unattended as she was wrapping up

I believe the place is ok for a visit without expecting much of an escape or highly trained therapists. I was disappointed in the overall experience. I might consider a return visit if my friends insisted and then go out on the town for dinner since it is such a nice town location with lots of shopping and eating choices. However, I would struggle with paying for mediocre massage (or general rub down) and not be able to shower in comfort in the one single shower offered. It's ok but can do SO much better! Nice welcoming staff all around though!

2  Thank WonderousTraveler
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I visited the spa because it was a birthday gift that I received from my son. My entry to the spa and through the entire day it was bliss! I was brought to a changing room with lockers two bathrooms a shower where you would be able change and put away your things before entering into another room called the "Quiet Room" to fill out the paperwork that was required. You were provided a robe and slippers.
In this "quiet room" you were offered herbal tea,granola bars, water with lemon or just plain cold ice water. Like every spa there was very tranquil music playing throughout the rooms. Upon changing and heading to the quiet room I was also given a warm neck pillow that would relax and get me ready for my massage.

The package that was bought for my birthday was called the "spa classic" & in this package you received I think it was a 50 minute massage a 50 minute facial and a 50 minute pedicure. I was there for almost 4 hours.

Within five minutes of getting there and filling out the forms, Rochelle came and retrieved me from the quiet room to give me my massage. From there I went back to the quiet room where I had a nice cup of hot herbal tea and a little more relaxation. From there Vanessa came and retrieved me to do my facial and she was also the one that did my pedicure. In the facial room, it seemed her player was broken so we didn't have music in the room.
They ( Vanessa & Rochelle) were both very pleasant & took very great care in making sure that I was comfortable and relaxed.
Everyone seemed very professional , very nice & the place was very clean and they were very accommodating. I also asked to get a manicure done because I needed one and that was not in the package and they fitted that in because I was already getting a pedicure with Vanessa and that worked out perfectly. I actually got a paraffin treatment with manicure. I thought that prices were reasonable and I would definitely recommend and will be going back to Woodhouse Day Spa.
One slight draw back is that parking is hard to find in that area but there is a parking garage called the Crescent Deck across the street from there and the spa does validate your ticket. I found however that I had to end up paying at the "Pay station" that you have to go to first before leaving the garage. I thought validating a ticket meant you shouldn't have to pay. It asked for $5 then after several tries it said I still owed $1. I paid and that was that.

Also upon checking out as I had to pay for my paraffin manicure, I was being charged in error for a service I didn't get, but that was cleared up in a 2nd. All in all it was very good day. Very wonderful place and totally recommend. I thanked my son profusely for my birthday gift :-)

Reviewed October 5, 2012

If I could give 3 1/2 stars that would be a better rating from me.

I've been here a two times and I think I can post an accurate review. I' My first experience was a couple years back. I had a wonderful hot stone massage. That had me hooked to go back.

Today was my second visit. The staff was attentive and very nice. I went for the fall seasonal treatments they offer. I was excited because I have been on such a pumpkin kick. I have to say I was disappointed in the overall lack of pumpkin. Also being I was there for 4 treatments, no one seemed to know what I was doing. I've been to many spas and at time had several treatments and every staff member who I was interacting with knew where I was going next.

I started with the "pumpkin escape massage" and the actual massage was wonderful. I didn't smell much pumpkin but the lotion the therapist used on me was heavenly so I totally forgive them for that.

The second treatment I had was "Pumpkin Escape Facial and Hot Oil Scalp Treatment". The therapist was pretty good but she didn't explain to me what she was doing throughout the entire treatment. The hot oil scalp massage was ok, I was surprised when I felt the oil hit my scalp. She also didn't try to pull the oil through my hair so I was left with a greasy hairline around my face but dry hair the rest of the way through. When I went back to the changing area I looked in the mirror and I saw some mask still left on my face too.

This is where it all went "downhill" for me. Next was the manicure and pedicure. The nail technician did my toes first (I realized she really needed to do my hands first because they don't have a drying area). She just didn't seem into working with me. It all seemed very rushed. First thing was she didn't turn the bubbles on in the tub. Not an end of the world thing but it was a red flag that was raised for me. Then I just watched her behavior in comparison to the other nail technicians in the room and it was all just so lackluster. She didn't even try to massage my legs and feet nearly as well as the technician next to her did with another client. She didn't even roll my pants down after the pedicure. I had to ask her to roll my pants down and she didn't offer to carry my purse.

The manicure was done in the same chair. Which I guess is no big deal but it's something I never experienced before and it really wasn't enjoyable (but that isn't the technician's fault). I basically spent a lot of time with my hands wrapped in cold, wet towels or resting on cold wet towels. The worst part of it was there was no place to dry my nails so I just had to sit in the "Quiet Room" and wait for my nails to dry. I also learned that the "Quiet Room" was unisex which left me feeling uncomfortable. I don't know if I'll go back again.

1  Thank katerina1976t
See more reviews
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was very underwhelmed with the Woodhouse Day Spa in Montclair, where I recently had their signature (over a hundred dollars) pedicure.

The spa is just not inspired nor inspiring, it does not have a definite personality or purpose, and most of the staff seem more concerned with being proper than with doing a great job.

It is impeccably clean and very well appointed, although the bathroom was pedestrian.

The pedicure itself was very undistinguished, and for over a hundred dollars (which thankfully was a gift), I was expecting something extraordinary.

Instead it was a very average pedicure, with a below average polish job, and I could have gotten better for much, much less money.

I later found out that Woodhouse is a chain of spas, and I think that explains everything. It goes "by the book" but running a spa is an art, not a business science.

With Bangz and Sahana right around the corner, there is no need to return to Woodhouse. The top priced pedicure at Bangz is superior and less than half the price.

1  Thank Suzy S