“Best Italian in central Jersey”
Review of Antonio's

Antonio's
Ranked #5 of 47 Restaurants in Monroe
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Lived here since May....ate here at least 30 times.....from specials to old stand bys ,we never had anything that was less than great to excelent...any one that didn't like the food here must eat their Italian dishes at a Dinner!

3  Thank DONJON26NY

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Over the last few months I have visited this non-descript strip mall jewel. Food is far above average with large portion sizes which include a bowl of homemade soup. The early bird includes soup, entree, beverages, and dessert for $13.50. It might be cheap but the food is excellent. The two dining rooms seat at least 75 people and I recommend coming early together a seat.

1  Thank NJduffer
Reviewed January 7, 2013

i love this place the food so good is one the beast restaurant in nj ..i have the beast relly italian food

1  Thank amanda c
Reviewed December 31, 2012

On New Year’s Eve, my cousin and I decided to go to a restaurant. We were in Monroe, NJ, and Italian food sounded good. We went to Antonio’s. It was crowded and we had to wait 15 minutes, but given that was New Year’s Eve and we didn’t have reservations, we figured that was pretty good.

When we got to our table, we were immediately given a basket with warm, freshly baked rolls. Yummy. The waitress came by 2 minutes later and barked “Do you know what you want?” I ordered chicken noodle soup and spaghetti Bolognese. My cousin ordered a big roasted veggie and green salad, and a gluten-free and cheese-free pizza. She made that very clear. My soup arrived 30 seconds later and the salad came 5 minutes later. It might have been nice to have had them both arrive together, but they were busy. OK.

As soon as we finished the soup and salad, the spaghetti and pizza came, surprising, given how busy they were. Unfortunately, the pizza had cheese. We complained. The waitress apologized and took the pizza back. About 10 minutes later, a gluten- and cheese-free pizza arrived. It met my cousin’s requirements. It just didn’t taste good so she didn’t eat it. When the waitress came by, she asked if we wanted a “doggie bag.” My cousin said: “no.” The waitress was taken aback and asked what was wrong. She was bluntly told: “It doesn’t taste good.”

Before we could leave, the owner, Antonio, showed up and seemed genuinely concerned. He wanted to know what was wrong and how he could fix it. In addition, he didn’t charge us for the pizza and furthermore gave us two coupons good for free frozen yogurts at a yogurteria three doors away. We went there and had two great, free, yogurts.

So why three stars? The salad, rolls, and spaghetti were fine, but they are hard to mess up. The mistake about putting cheese on the pizza is understandable, especially when the place was overflowing. Many people like cheese on their pizzas. But having the dough be inedible is poor. Still, the owner’s concern was very unusual. So if we average 1 star and 5 stars, we come out at 3 stars.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have never has such poorly made food. The sanation is horrible, the pre-plated salads sit in a refrig w a glass door and are not covered you can the condensation drip onto the salad. The pies are so greasy you have to run home for relief. The staff is rude and in hurry. They seem crowded due to office and warehouse traffic workers jamming in during a short period of time and you know what that does to quality of food and service. I see many people open the door, look in a walk away. The dining room is not NY style, it is only so small that you think you are in a nyc restaurant where you are jammed elbow to elbow with all types of strangers.

Been to Antonio's? Share your experiences!