“Terrible Residence Inn”

Sonesta ES Suites South Brunswick - Princeton
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel was a major disappointment. The common hallways are dirty and shabby. There is not enough parking near your room. Our room in building 24 was horrendous. It smelled of cat litter, and the carpet was sticky. The water heater and air conditioner are extremely loud. The furniture is set up with a couch in the center of the room, a so-called queen-sized (more like a double bed) that faces the door to your room. The bathroom smelled like a sewer, and the sink area was carpeted and filthy. There were clumps of dust and grime behind our bed-side tables. There was no hotel guide in the rooms, so you had to call the desk for simple questions. We stay in Residence Inns quite often and couldn't believe how awful this place was.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 7tenaj7

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Rooms are spacious and have sliding glass doors, a fireplace, sofa bed, and full kitchen. Breakfast offers a variety of options, and the hotel serves a free dinner on weekdays. Pool area is average. Whirlpool does not heat, and is located in a shade causing it to remain much cooler than the temperate of the pool. Hotel provides grocery shopping and in-depth housekeeping. Fitness center is average, but almost always empty. Hotel is not in a walkable area, but is a quick drive to a Target, Trader Joe's, and pizzeria. Hotel can become crowded and noisy on Saturdays. The rooms are comfortable, clean, and offer all of the amenities of home. Customer service is superior.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed here in Mid-June for a night. We had a really pleasant stay. The room was a great size for the price, there was a loft with a queen bed as well as a separate bedroom with another queen bed...it was definitely great traveling with a 2 and 4 year old to be able to separate them. Everyone was really friendly and everything was clean. We also had a room that faced Route 1 on one of the sides and we didn't notice any noise.

We went to the pool which was great...although a bit crowded and made me wonder if everyone in the pool was actually staying at the hotel (some had BIG coolers that would be odd to have if you were staying in the hotel) but we didn't have problems with anyone so it wasn't a big deal.

We stayed here during our Sesame Place trip and it was definitely worth the 20 minute drive to stay at a spacious, nice hotel. We would stay here again!

Reviewed June 23, 2012

This hotel has great value and exceptional customer service. The rooms are very comfortable and quiet. We had 2 teenage children with us and they loved having their own bathroom and loft bedroom. it made getting ready for the various events at Princeton grad so much easier with lots of space in the hotel room. The beds were comfortable and the rooms quiet. The buffet breakfast is great with lots of healthy choices including eggs, fruit salad, yogurt, muffins, oatmeal, etc. What is amazing though is the customer service. The staff are aware of how important this is - no doubt by following the manager Scott who just doesn't preach customer service but lives it. We were having trouble getting directions to the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab and one of the staff offered to drive over and we could follow her so she was sure we made it OK!!! When was the last time that happened to anyone reading this post!!

Reviewed June 17, 2012

I am writing this review while still at the hotel because I am extremely pleased with the customer service and the care I've been experiencing here.

When I checked in, the person on duty at the front desk asked me the reason I was travelling and - a bit tired from the long flight - I disclosed that it was because a very dear friend passed away.

A couple of nights later, as I enter into my room, I notice a card.

It was a handwritten note from one of the managers to express the condolences of the staff. It really touched me.

A few days after, I noticed that housekeeping put some appliances for my baby in the washing machine and a feeding tray got ruined because it didn't stand hight temperatures.

I went to let the front desk know that, and I made it clear that it was not a complaint, I just wanted them to tell housekeeping to let the kid's stuff alone for us to take care of it.

Anyway... a few hours later somebody knocked at my door and... here it was! A new feeding tray, gift wrapped and with a note from the manager that I spoke to.

It was unneeded, but it showed care. A lot more than just reverting 20 bucks on my bill (that I didn't ask for anyway, since the people who run the washing machine were just trying to be helpful).

Reviewed June 14, 2012

For a few dollars more you can stay at a real Marriott. It is a use of the Marriott name only! This is why franchising is a dangerous. There is no way it should be calling itself a Marriott. I am a platinum member and spend more time in Marriotts then my own home but this was the filthiest dump I have ever had the displeasure of staying in. So, if you are like me and cannot deal with filth! don't stay here! Cobb webs everywhere. I mean huge cobb webs even on the paper towel holder? Cleaning did not see when they changed the towels. Bed skirt was disgusting, sliding glass was so dusty I could not touch without getting dirt on my cuff. It was like the Monster's show from the 70s!

Room Tip: Choose another local Residence Inn there are several in the area!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank consum1
Reviewed June 1, 2012

This hotel is incredibly rude. I had an appointment to make in downtown Princeton, but they refused to use their hotel shuttle to transport me there, when it was just sitting, available, 20 feet away. With no taxis available, I was forced to miss my meeting simply because they refused to drive the shuttle, as they have advertised on their website. Very inconsiderate of them. The gas to drive a couple miles could cost a couple bucks at most, right?

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Hconoll
ResInnPrincetonGM, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites South Brunswick - Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

We're sorry that we could not meet your needs. TripAdvisor reviews our staff very highly. As SAFETY is our primary concern, only CERTIFIED drivers are authorized to transport guests. The website notes that our shuttle is "schedulable" (between 7am and 7pm Mon-Fri with a shift change mid-afternoon and the state-required lunch periods). With planning, MANY Taxis are available as well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monmouth Junction
Towneplace Suites Cranbury South Brunswick
Princeton Marriott at Forrestal
Homewood Suites by Hilton Princeton
Staybridge Suites North Brunswick

Been to Sonesta ES Suites South Brunswick - Princeton? Share your experiences!