“Great Glass Museum”

Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Millville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center (“WheatonArts”), founded as Wheaton Village in 1968, is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization with a mission to engage artists and audiences in an evolving exploration of creativity. The mission will be advanced through the interpretation of collections and exhibitions; education initiatives and culturally diverse public programs; residencies and other opportunities for artists. With a history spanning four decades, WheatonArts has earned regional, national and international recognition for its unique collections and programs. The Museum of American Glass is at the heart of the Center, housing the most comprehensive collection of glass produced in America. Located in Millville, center of the nation’s first glass industry, the Museum is one of only 8 museums in New Jersey to be accredited by the American Alliance of Museums.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I visited here in January with my 10 year old grandaughter. Admission was free because the actual glass blowers and other crafts people are not there in the months of Jan, Feb, and Mar. The museum and the shops were the only buildings open. The museum is quite large and very interesting--even to a 10 year old. I'd like to come back when all the crafts people are on site.

2  Thank newarkdelawaregin
WheatonArts, Public Relations Manager at Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2016

Dear newarkdelawaregin,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review. We're happy to hear that you and your granddaughter had a nice time. We have new exhibitions and special events all the time, so we hope that you both visit again. Thanks again!

All reviews
"cultural center"
"old school"
"day trip"

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Wheaton Village is an active glass-making factory where you can watch glass-blowing demonstrations and even sign-up to "make your own" glass. To shop and walk around is free, but I recommend spending the $10 to see the glass museum, and the demonstrations of glass blowing and pottery making. The museum is huge and filled with all sorts of interesting glass pieces to view. Afterwards, you can stroll the shops. They also run several special events throughout the year, so I recommend checking out the website calendar before you plan your trip! Also, I went with another adult and we had a fantastic time. It seems like they try to gear some things towards children but I think older children at best would be able to have an appreciation for what they are looking at. There is also glass for sale worth several thousand dollars that I was scared of knocking over with my pocketbook, let alone a child! A great way to spend a leisurely weekend day....enjoy.

2  Thank travelgirl315

Dear travelgirl315,
Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review. We're happy to hear that you and your friend had a fantastic time. We have new exhibitions and special events all the time, so we hope that you visit again. We post current program and event information on our website all the time, so feel free to check back. Thanks again!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband suprised me with a "Make Your Own Paperweight." This was the first experience I had with glass and designing and creating my own unique piece. We scheduled the class for the mid-afternoon and arrived early and was fortunate to watch another person earlier in the day create their own paperweight. This gave me a feel for the experience of making my own and also let me know what was expected of me as a student. I chose the ribbon design and chose the colors of red, yellow and blue. Karen was a very competent instructor and walked me thu the process. I learned alot of things about glass making. The paperweight turned out really beautiful and we were glad I chose the three colors and the ribbon design. I would suggest to anyone planning to create a paperweight that they go earlier than their appointment and watch someone creating one. Also, the correct paperweight was not sent to me and I had to wait three weeks for the correct paperweight. Had we not gone earlier and watched the other person creating and knew what design and colors they chose, I would have been stuck with theirs and would not have known I did not receive mine. By luck, we knew that I chose blue and there was no blue in the piece and also, I had a very distinct bubble in mine that identified it. BE VERY CAUTIOUS OF NOT RETURNING FOR YOUR PAPERWEIGHT, YOU CANNOT BE ASSURED OF RECEIVING YOURS THRU SHIPMENT. IF WE DID NOT HAVE THE BUBBLE, I REALLY DON'T THINK I WOULD HAVE RECEIVED THE CORRECT ONE FROM WHEATON. WE DID NOT CARE FOR THE OTHER PAPERWEIGHT AND WOULD HAVE BEEN VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THE EXPERIENCE AND THE RESULTING PAPERWEIGHT.

2  Thank Bluebirdsinging
WheatonArts, Public Relations Manager at Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2016

Dear Crystal S,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review after your "Make Your Own" experience. Your paperweight sounds lovely. That MYO program really allows visitors to learn about the art of glassblowing. We hope that you come back to visit again. Thanks.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

The village itself is not much but the museum is interesting. My friend and I did the "Make Your Own" experience where we made paperweights in the glass studio. That was great fun and Joe was an excellent instructor. It was worth the $75.

2  Thank Ctroskoph

Dear Ctroskoph,
Thanks for taking the time to review. Joe, one of our resident artists, handles most of the "make your own" experiences and we're pleased to hear that you and your friend had a great time. We have new exhibitions in the Museum of American Glass each year, so we hope you come back to visit soon. Thanks again!

See more reviews
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Wheaton Village preserves the nostalgia of bygone days when the New Jersey glass-making industry thrived. Currently, Wheaton Village consists of an extraordinary glass museum, operational glass-making building used for decorative art glass production, three stores featuring different kinds of glass, pottery, and other hand-made products as well as nostalgic candies. The village is situated on wooded acreage - a pleasant place to stroll among the buildings. Different art and craft festivals occur during the year. We happened to go to the yearly juried craft festival, featuring exquisite hand-made crafts, pottery, jewelry, soaps, painting and photography, and food vendors. Many wonderful things to admire and purchase, though some are costly. This craft festival is held in October, just in time for Halloweeen. Therefore, a good-sized pumpkin patch is available - not with the usual garden variety of pumpkins but with extraordinarily beautiful glass pumpkins of many shades and sizes - created at the Wheaton glassworks. Adults who love glass will be just as happy going through this pumpkin patch choosing just the perfect green, pink, blue, red, or orange pumpkin as any child would be choosing their real Halloween pumpkin. Wheaton Village is a treat any time, but it's especially wonderful during the October craft festival. Wear comfy walking shoes, bring water, and enjoy the day.

1  Thank WineTourFan

Dear WineTourFan,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review. The details that you provided via your TripAdvisor review were great and very informative. Our pumpkin patch at our annual Festival of Fine Craft in October is always a hit. We hope to see you again soon! Thanks again.