“One of the best B&B's we've stayed in!”

Glenegedale Guest House
Ranked #1 of 1 Glenegedale B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“One of the best B&B's we've stayed in!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Right from arrival, Graham and Emma, the hosts / owners were absolutely lovely. The house is huge and interesting and has a great history. Although located just opposite the Islay airport there is rarely a plane taking off or landing - plus the ocen is just beyond and the landscape around is stunning. Emma baked an amazing Victoria sponge for us upon arrival and also packed us a little contained full of freshly baked goodies the next day for our ferry ride back to the mainland. The rooms are well appointed and very clean.

Room Tip: A dream B&B - (you must have a car though)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Graeme and Emma C, Owner at Glenegedale Guest House, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Adam and Lainey, Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review and so quickly too! It was great to meet the two of you and it was also so lovely to see you get to enjoy our island in such splendor of wonderful weather. It was fabulous to hear some of your adventures that you have had with other holidays this year alone! I am pestering Graeme now to book some of the ones you have done in order to see if we can get the chance to share some of the amazing sights in the world you have already seen.

I do hope you have wonderful time back home for Christmas and your niece gets her Lelly Kelly shoes...how can you resist the sparkles.

Haste ye back to Glenegedale
Graeme and Emma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Spiez, Switzerland
Reviewed August 27, 2013

A a very beautiful house with really nice hosts. The welcome was very warm and the breakfast was delicious. I was there in a very busy week. And as i didn't booked anything in advance, they helped me with finding a B&B for my second night on the island. They also booked a tour and a restaurant for me. I followed their suggestions for the tour and dinner. They were absolutly right! I would stay there anytime whenever I go back to Islay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Graeme and Emma C, Owner at Glenegedale Guest House, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to write this review for us here at Glenegedale House. It was lovely to meet yourself and your mother and we were glad to help you find accommodation for the following night when we were full. We are blessed business wise that we are fully booked on a fairly frequent occurrence however we are lucky that we have good relationships with some other fantastic establishments that we are able to help guests get good accommodation on other nights too. I was so impressed by your English and you have spurred me on to try and learn another language in the quieter months. We will hopefully see you both back in Islay at some point in the future.

Haste ye back to Glenegedale House.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Warm, welcoming and very good B&B on Islay. My first trip to the island of my ancestors and certainly memorable, and made more so by the exceptional hospitality afforded me by Graeme and Emma, who, apart from having a lovely and meticulously-maintained property, have a genuine warmth and delight in the guests whom they host so generously.

I arrived well ahead of schedule on a cold, blustery afternoon but no problem........... I was made at home in a flash with a warm welcome and was set up in front of a much-appreciated fire, with silver service afternoon tea and home made cake. (Did I mention that Emma's a great cook?)

For the (too) few days that I was able to spend with Graeme and Emma, I was made to feel so much at home. The bedroom was delightful with a comfy bed and all the small things that make a stay that bit more special.
Personally, the warmth and genuine friendliness was such a comfort, and being able to share recipes with Emma (I love to cook too) was so much fun, and Graeme's breakfast service is both genuine and peppered with wit and good humour.

The personal touches (which you will have to experience for yourselves) are just the icing on the cake for me.......can't wait to return......

Will Ye 'No Come Back Again???

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Heather, It is so nice to hear from you on here. I loved to get your facebook comments through our Glenegedale House facebook page and your email about your stay. Thank you for taking the time to complete all these things letting us enjoy thoughts of your stay again. It was a pleasure having you stay and hear some of your life stories about you and your late husband who sounded a wonderful man and together a beautiful couple. It was great to see you unwind and enjoy the surroundings at Glenegedale and Islay. I loved getting new tips from you every day and still look at the websites you gave me for recipes on a regular basis.

We hope to see you back in Islay again one day soon.

Haste ye back
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

When my company sold equipment to the laboratory at Port Ellen maltings, one of two things was going to happen. Either myself or our engineer Steve would make the trip to install the kit. I won the argument. Anyway, Steve is only an English whisky fanatic from Bolton and I'm a Scottish wine drinker from Cumbernauld, makes sense. Seriously, I've visited most of the Inner and Outer Hebribian Islands over the years but have never made it to the Southern Islands. This was my chance to do it for nowt.

The problem with Islay is that there's a lack of accommodation at the last minute so, I was advised to call Tourist Information on the Island and ask them. They got me the number for Emma and Graeme and I'm glad they did.

I was greeted at the door by Emma who told me that her door is never locked, I love that. She offered my coffee and home baking. I initially declined because of this stupid low carb diet I've been on for the past forever, but changed my mind and it was great.

The room itself was fantastic and spotless. I was so spotless and tidy I was scared to touch anything in case I made a mess. The shower room was also fantastic. The subs bench at Parkhead could have fitted in that shower all at once. It's the small touches that make the difference don't you think?

In the morning the breakfast menu had all the usual suspects and a few Scottish favorites’, Haggis. Again, me and my stupid diet I had a piece of toast (4 or 5 different kinds where available on the toast rack), some fruit and the coffee, lots of coffee. Emma asked a guest at the other table how he wanted his eggs done? Poached, Scrambled, frying etc, he relied Scrabbled. I think he was a wee bit embarrassed and I did have a wee chuckle to myself as did the guys’ wife. Emma did say that he was the second person this morning that had asked for scrabbled. I don't know if this was true, I think she was just trying to make him less embarrassed.

I would go back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Graeme, thank you so very much indeed for taking the time out of a busy home life and work life to write such an in depth and great review for us here at Glenegedale House. It was just lovely to meet you and hear about some of the places you have stayed. I am glad you enjoyed your baking and breakfast with us and that you shared your experience with everyone else on trip advisor. It gives us a good old spring in our step when we see on here that guests have enjoyed their stay even more so when you are here to work. Sometimes it can be the case that you don't get the chance to enjoy our beautiful island when here and having to work but it doesn't mean when you have down time that you cant enjoy some of the finer things in life (a wee bit of carb laden cake).

I am always put to shame by some of our guests and their language skills...it always impresses me how their knowledge of the English language can be greater than ours. In some cases however on the very odd occasion there is a wrong word used and it makes me smile especially when they are ones that are ones that would actually describe the situation very well (scrabbled eggs).

I do hope you have some more work in the malting lab very soon and we have the opportunity to look after you again here at Glenegedale House.

Haste ye back
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our first impression was already excellent - a smart, well-maintained property set back from the road. The warm reception by the host and hostess continued the image and the standard of housekeeping throughout the house was impeccable - everything as new. The room was very well-appointed if a little on the small side ( TV above wardrobe) but I understand there are plans to redesign the layout and expand the accommodation. We discovered that it's a popular choice with overseas visitors - justifiably as I doubt whether there is anything of this standard to be found elsewhere on Islay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for us here at Glenegedale house. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and particularly so as it was a special gift from your daughter. I hope you enjoy your next big holiday to visit her and she is settling in well in Australia. Thank you again for taking time to submit this to trip advisor.
Haste ye back to Glenegedale House.

Oegstgeest, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Very good B&B on Islay. Hospitality is great, rooms are appropriate. Breakfast is very good, as is the hospitality and service. Point of attention are the beds. Somewhat small (the doubles) and sweaty, because of the material of the covers.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Theo1965
Graeme and Emma C, Owner at Glenegedale Guest House, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Theo, Thank you so much for your review. We are always delighted to hear that guests like yourselves enjoyed their stay here at Glenegedale House. Your family is delightful and it was a pleasure to serve such well behaved and gorgeous children. What a credit to yourself and your wife. I am dreadfully sorry that you were slightly disappointed with you bedding. It is king size beds we have in all our double rooms which are 5 foot and much larger than a standard double bed. We both wish you had mentioned the bedding after your first evening, All our sheets are 350 thread count Dorma Egyptian cotton and the same with the duvet covers. These were all purchased in April of this year (2013) along with new duvets, pillows and mattress protectors for every room. The beds are also under a year old. However we do have a selection of blankets and other options for guests who prefer other bedding and both Graeme and I would have been more than happy to change over to one that you would have been happy with for your second evening. Please if you return to Glenegedale then let us know what suits you and your family best and we can ensure these are on your beds for you arriving.

I hope you all had a wonderful time in Edinburgh before returning home. I also would like to think you manage to enjoy your picnic with the banana bread, fig and date bread and the lemon and poppy seed muffins I made. I love when guests enjoy the mornings baking. It makes the 5am starts all worth while.

Haste ye back to Glenegedale

Kind Regards

Bern
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at glenegedale guest house. It started already with a very warm welcome from Emma and an afternoon tea with delicious banana loaf. The room had every thing we needed and the breakfast let no wishes open. Thanks a lot - we will come back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Marion and Martin

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and would come back and stay with us here at Glenegedale House. It was lovely to be able to have you to stay with us on your last evening here on Islay. I hope you had a wonderful time when you went onto Oban and had a safe journey home.

Hast ye back to Islay

Emma and Graeme
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenegedale
Islay House
#5 of 13 in Bowmore
Port Charlotte Youth Hostel
Port Charlotte Youth Hostel
#2 of 4 in Port Charlotte

Been to Glenegedale Guest House? Share your experiences!