“Basic and erratic kosher deli”
Review of Lox, Stock & Deli

Lox, Stock & Deli
Ranked #4 of 31 Restaurants in Milltown
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Bloomington, Indiana
“Basic and erratic kosher deli”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We went for breakfast, and were told they were kosher so could not offer any dairy products. Nevertheless, they served us eggs once over lightly, and cream for the coffee, but no cream sheese for the excellent bagels. The bill was very reasonable: $13 for a platter of 3 eggs, once over lightly, french fries, bagel, two cups of coffee, and one bottled orange juice. I went in yesterday in the afternoon, and they looked packed, which is why we went this morning. They don't have much of a breakfast clientele (as the cashier informed us). I suspect they do a brisk luncheon business.

• Visited April 2013

“Could Be Better”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

A reasonably good deli, but staff leaves a lot to be desired. Consistently rude and arrogant, and makes me wonder who's doing whom a favor?!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Barbara G
Central New Jersey
“Just like Grandma never made....?”
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

My Grandmother was a pretty good cook. There wasn't anything she couldn't do with a chicken and you can be sure that when she was done plucking, sorting, stripping, seasoning and cooking that thing, something delicious was coming from every square inch of that bird and what we didn't eat, she would invariably knit into a nice sweater or a pair of shoes.
Lox Stock & Deli didn't quite bring me back to my youth, noshing at my Jewish Grandma's fifth floor walk up at the corner of Nostrand and Foster Avenues in Brooklyn... But it may be the nicest delicatessen I've had the pleasure to dine at since I've moved to Central Jersey.
Contrary to some of the other reviews here, I was warmly greeted by a nice man, who vaguely reminded me of my Uncle "Choooch" (pronounced like you are clearing your throat of phlegm) who promptly deposited me at a cozy table for one, in the pleasant dining room. Steely Dan's "Aja" was playing overhead so I was immediately at ease and humming while I read the menu.

The menu is voluminous, with all the traditional and customary artery-clogging, shmaltz-laden Jewish Deli fare one could "die for" and from all the happy faces being fed, I'm guessing its all good.
I had to fast today, as I had a doctor appointment in the morning and didn't want to hear any scorn over the fact I've packed on a couple of winter-weight pounds. (I also had to do a little bloodwork). So I was hungry for some protein and opted for a cup of their incredible vegetarian veggie soup which was not at all salty and chock full of yummy vegetables. I followed this up with their turkey-vegetable burger and a plain baked potato. Both cooked to perfection. The unsweetened freshly brewed ice tea was nice and all in all, I'd have to say I had a nice lunch. I can just hear my mother kvelling. In fact, although I'm stuffed, I don't feel as if I'm about to explode like Mr. Creosote (that's strictly for you Monty Python fans).
Two side notes: they offer up a small but pleasant looking salad bar. I don't partake of these all-you-can-stuff-your-face-with affairs so I avoided it; but other patrons were digging through the salads like they were panning for gold or looking for the prize at the bottom of the Cracker Jack Box.
I have one minor peeve - not quite a complaint actually. I unwrapped my fork ad knife set from the tightly wound paper napkin to discover a very misshapen and flimsy fork. It looked like a victim from a Yuri Geller stage show! I would have done better had they served me chopsticks or a plastic spork! Other than this, I would go back and even take my meat-eatin-pals too, knowing they could get a tasty, king-sized side-o'-corned beef sandwich and a nice shmear.
With 2 cents plain.
L'chaim, y'all.

2 Thank FamilyGuy_from_NJ
Milltown, New Jersey
“Food is good; service lacking”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Food is great but the wait service is not too good. Some of the waitresses are very aloof. We still go there twice a month, but we know that the waitresses are just doing a job, not putting too much enthusiasm into it to want to give a great tip (which we do anyway). Worth going there though for the wonderful food.

Visited November 2012
“delicious”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The deli gives you more than enough to eat. Their junior sloppy joe is enough for 2 meals. I get their Cape May salad with tuna and I am stuffed for the entire evening and into the next day. We also get their deliciious beef stuffed cabbage (just like homemade) and their round potato pancake. Enough food for again 2 meals. We eat there at least 2 times a month.

• Visited November 2012

Been to Lox, Stock & Deli? Share your experiences!