“Disappointing experience”
Review of Basilico

Basilico
Reserve with OpenTable
Basilico is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 55 Restaurants in Millburn
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Description: Basilico was established by co-owners Mario DeMarco and Angelo Delbecchi, formerly of Sergio's; also in Millburn. Both are graduates of the Hotel Management School in Alassio, Italy. Both from Italy, they have brought their original and authentic Italian cuisine to create Basilico.
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Went with my husband for lunch. Was very disappointed. Was expecting great food after reading the NJ monthly review. Ordered the mozzarella, red peppers and eggplant appetizer. It was bland, as it was not seasoned well. We both shared the pear with goat cheese ravioli and the taglioni in fresh tomato sauce with asparagus, olives and peas. Both were average. We were disappointed with the tomato sauce.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I always look forward to going to dinner at Basilico, because the food is always so interesting and tasty. I feel like it is a "new york" style restaurant in New Jersey. I would definitely go more often if it wasn't so hard to get reservations - hard at least on Friday and Saturday nights. The salads are very good, as are many of the fish dishes. I prefer sitting downstairs, but the upstairs is more private and more quiet.

The only negative is that you often do not get seated at the time of your reservations, and there isn't always a place to hang out comfortably until your table is ready. The bar can get crowded, and we have spent many a night sort of standing around the door. But, in the end, worth the minor inconvenience.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Went to Basilico with a group of girls to celebrate a friend's birthday and they treated us very well. Very attentive service and food was delicious - the fish was cooked perfect and the chocolate caramel tart was a treat. I recommend that you make reservations, even during the week - it was full on a Thursday night. BYOB

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I had not dined here in a while, but recently had dinner with several business associates. The menu (combined with nightly specials) is still impressive. We shared the rice balls and caprese appetizers, and both were excellent. But my veal parm, which I had here before several times, was a disappointment. It was average at best. It was not tender, and was somewhat overcooked.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Went to Basilico with a friend. The food is usually very good--they have a wonderful New Year's Eve dinner. This time the food was disappointing. I had their special pasta--black ink linguini with smoked trout and veggies. It was quite bland--needed some zip, like maybe some lemon juice. I rarely add salt to my food, but this needed it. On the other hand, my friend's dish, the pasta with cauliflower, was too salty. I wonder if the chef tastes the food before sending it out--key to consistently wonderful food. However, the spinach salad with figs and the desserts were delicious. The Italian cheesecake was really wonderful, and the gluten-free warm chocolate cake with ice cream was one of the best I've ever tasted. Both came with a small garnish of mango sauce and candied orange peel and the presentation was beautiful. This experience won't keep me from going back--hoping we just picked the wrong entrees.

The service was very nice--attentive but not intrusive. We stayed for quite a long time and were never rushed.

Also note: even though they have wine on the menu, you can bring your own--interesting.