“Very Good, But No Longer Outstanding”
Review of Basilico

Basilico
Reserve with OpenTable
Basilico is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 55 Restaurants in Millburn
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Description: Basilico was established by co-owners Mario DeMarco and Angelo Delbecchi, formerly of Sergio's; also in Millburn. Both are graduates of the Hotel Management School in Alassio, Italy. Both from Italy, they have brought their original and authentic Italian cuisine to create Basilico.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I had not dined here in a while, but recently had dinner with several business associates. The menu (combined with nightly specials) is still impressive. We shared the rice balls and caprese appetizers, and both were excellent. But my veal parm, which I had here before several times, was a disappointment. It was average at best. It was not tender, and was somewhat overcooked.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Went to Basilico with a friend. The food is usually very good--they have a wonderful New Year's Eve dinner. This time the food was disappointing. I had their special pasta--black ink linguini with smoked trout and veggies. It was quite bland--needed some zip, like maybe some lemon juice. I rarely add salt to my food, but this needed it. On the other hand, my friend's dish, the pasta with cauliflower, was too salty. I wonder if the chef tastes the food before sending it out--key to consistently wonderful food. However, the spinach salad with figs and the desserts were delicious. The Italian cheesecake was really wonderful, and the gluten-free warm chocolate cake with ice cream was one of the best I've ever tasted. Both came with a small garnish of mango sauce and candied orange peel and the presentation was beautiful. This experience won't keep me from going back--hoping we just picked the wrong entrees.

The service was very nice--attentive but not intrusive. We stayed for quite a long time and were never rushed.

Also note: even though they have wine on the menu, you can bring your own--interesting.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I decided to try this restaurant for our 7th Anniversary Dinner. We went on a Sunday evening about 8pm. We had the mussels and garlic chicken for our appetizer. Both were average. It's our main dishes that were OUTSTANDING. My husband had the lobster, shrimp, and linguini which was spicy with marinara sauce. I had the Risotto with mushrooms, scallops, and shrimps. It was PERFECT. The portions were very good especially my husband's dish. We shared, and my husband still couldn't eat his entire portion, and took the rest for lunch the following day.

Although we had reservations, I hadn't requested a particular table or level. After arriving we requested a table upstairs since it appeared more intimate than the ground floor seating. The restaurant was packed, but we were able to get upstairs seating, after only waiting about 5 minutes. I think the value and service was very good. Overall our experience was Great. We will definitely return and add this restaurant to our frequent list.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Great space - to bad nothing else matches up to the environment. Average food and service. Nothing else to say.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I had a chance for a midweek night out and we chose Basilico. The food was outstanding, nicely presented and tasty and that is the reason we will return. A couple of things to note - it was crowded on a Thursday night so make a reservation. It was quite noisy and since you can hear the people near you not a place for intimate conversation. This is a place more suitable for a family gathering or a night out with friends. The service was a somewhat erratic - for example - when the waiter was telling us the specials he faced away from me and spoke to my wife - very strange and I then had to ask him to repeat them for me. The table we sat at was small and it was a challenge to find space for the wait staff to put down your meal. The dessert was superb but we had to chase down the waiter to order it.