“Very good food and service”
Review of Houlihan's

Houlihan's
Ranked #37 of 62 Restaurants in Metuchen
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I went for dinner and were very pleased with the food and service. My husband ordered calamari for an appetizer and he loved it. I had a 1/2 french dip and salad. My only complaint was the meat looked funny. The roast beef tasted good but was very shinny. I would probably not order it again. My husband had a spinach salad which was delicious. We split a carrot cake in a jar for desert. It was ok, but I would not order it again. I would go back to Houlihan's again. The service was excellent!

Alex H, Public Relations Manager at Houlihan's, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We're glad that you enjoyed our service and appreciate your comments about the food as we're constantly striving to improve. We look forward to serving you again soon! - Alex, Houlihan's Marketing

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I go out to lunch with my mom every week in the Metuchen/Edison/Woodbridge area, and Houlihan's is probably the place we go most often. I like the salad entrees - the dressings are a bit on the sweet side, but I get them on the side so I can control how much I use.

Tommy the waiter is definitely an eccentric presence - a bit of an oddball, but very sweet nevertheless. We usually ask to sit in his area. He is on top of things, and offers alternatives if your dish has a side that doesn't appeal to you. And he'll sneak you something extra if he can get away with it!

And yes, the manager does come by, and on the rare occasion that something hasn't suited my mom, he will give her a coupon for a free entree for another future visit.

Alex H, Public Relations Manager at Houlihan's, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We're glad to hear you enjoy your lunches with us! We look forward to serving you again soon. - Alex, Houlihan's Marketing

Reviewed April 14, 2013

....this is no Irish Pub, at least not the like of which I have ever been to. Fortuneatly the company was good as the experience was not. The waitron was just too too swarmy for his own good and got offended when we told him we did not really care what is name was, that we prefered to simply call him "waiter", and pu-leeeze can the canned chatter. They have a large beer menu but unfortuneatly the first four I ordered they were "out of stock" so it only took about fifteen minutes to get a cold one.
As to my grilled asparagus salad I expected more than the measly two dehydrated stalks that were served to me so it was also a sad disapointment. Rare Ahi Tuna appetizer adequate but how can you ruin raw tuna???? All in all I will try to avoid this chain in the future but I does have its redeeming features if you are from New Jersey.

Alex H, Public Relations Manager at Houlihan's, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate your comments as we constantly strive to improve. We do instruct our servers to introduce themselves by name as we feel this is a part of quality service. I do apologize for your experience, and if you would like us to reach out to you about your visit, you are welcome to email us at alexhoulihans@gmail.com. Thank you again for your time. - Alex G, Houlihan's Marketing

Reviewed February 6, 2013

This location has a great wait staff and the manager always seems to stop and ask how everything is on every visit. They really make you feel welcome, and take very good care of you.

Alex H, Public Relations Manager at Houlihan's, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Thanks so much taking the time to review us! We're glad to hear that you had a great experience. We appreciate your patronage.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I always thought that Houlihan's was just like the other chain restaurants all around it. Since I ma never on that side of the highway I never made a point to turn around. I am so glad I happened to have to turn around and had some time to kill. Three of us (two adults and a 5 yr old) went in for dinner around 5PM as we had some time to kill. The waiter was great (Christopher) and immediately took our drink order. Drinks arrived shortly and were perfect and we ordered some small appetizers and the kids cheeseburgers. There are many restaurants that serve lower grade meat in the kids burgers, but not here. The kids burgers even come on mini Brioche buns! All of our appetizers were very good and none of them were the old traditional fair either. Artichoke and goat cheese poppers, portabello flatbread pizza, short rib disco fries and their take on mac and cheese.

We are already talking about going back.

Alex H, Public Relations Manager at Houlihan's, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thanks so much for your glowing review! We're glad to hear you had such a great experience. We'll be sure to pass it on to the team. Have a great day!