“waited for years...big dissappointment”

Sammy's Ye Old Cider Mill
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Mendham
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Description: Legendary 3rd generation American Steak House.
Description: Legendary 3rd generation American Steak House.
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We had spoken of going here often with friends, a few of whom had already been and raved. We liked the idea of ordering first and getting drinks downstairs. when the food arrived i thought, OK, iceberg lettuce, not my first choice in salad, but I dealt with it. Service was fine-Efficient, polite, nothing extraordinary. I was excited to finally dig in to one of their legendary steaks...after my first bite, I looked around to my friends and stated "Is it me? or is this tough and not very tasty?" We all concurred. even the friends that had been before claimed it wasn't as they recalled. I've had better steaks from Shop-Rite prepared by my husband. Very ordinary meal for a big price. Maybe it's the mystic of a "hidden gem" and the Mendham-ites claiming their little secret. Crossed off the bucket list.

2  Thank Chris G

Reviewed March 21, 2013

They don't take reservations. 4 of us Checked in at the desk, placed our order, said 1 hour wait , went downstairs to their large bar/.game area. and had a drink or two or three as it took 1 hour 30 minutes to be seated, then another 30 minutes for the food to come to the table. Had a large T- bone steak at $52, not well aged for the price, one vegetable, very aged old salad to be shared among 4, and desert!!!!!. The fries were burnt and disgusting, service was OK. Not good value for money and decor is so so. I would not class it as a classic steakhouse. I guess they were busy when we were there!!!!

2  Thank ultramac
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is a classic steakhouse with absolutely great steaks. You have to know where it is- it is a house with no sign. You walk in the door and you are handed a menu. Then you put your order in and you go to the basement. Down in the basement is a nice old bar and games, pinball and the like. Lots of kids and adults mingling together. When you get called for dinner you go back upstairs and are seated in a large dining hall. The service is fast and professional. It is a busy place. The food is superb. We highly recommend this great casual steakhouse with fine dining quality food.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Just a 'fun restaurant' if you are with a group looking for a very laid-back evening. It is truly an 'experience' but not for everyone. Read reviews and comments before you go so you know what to expect. It is not for a romatic evening but good with a group of friends or familes with children. But be prepared for the bill - it is not cheap but the food is good and you may have leftovers.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Sammy's is a third generation institution in the area. As noted, there's no sign. You need to know it's there. Hint- right across from the Ralston Mill.

The deal is simple: you order when you go in. They send you to the bar downstairs while they cook your meal. When it's ready they call you up to the family style seating. You get salad, entree, sides and dessert for one price.

Steaks are excellent. Dry-aged Porterhouse on the bone is superb. They will cook it exactly as you specify.

Value? 38 bucks buys the salad, steak, fries, veggie and dessert. That doesn't seem out of line. Good steakhouses are charging that for the steak alone.

So, Sammy's is an experience and a local gem. I loved it. If your looking for the red walls, dim lighting and leather banquette; this isn't it. If your looking for a solid meal with a minimum of fuss, this is it. Great family place, great carnivore place. It's on my rotation.