“Not good for the beginner” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great Gorge Resort

Great Gorge Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in McAfee
Great Gorge Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in McAfee
POUGHQUAG
“Not good for the beginner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

I rarely complain about a place, I am very easy to please. What really bothered me about this place and the reason I probably will not be back is that they rush you during your golf play. By no means was I with a slow group, but supposedly we were "30 minutes" behind schedule when we got to the back 9. None of us are PGA pros, but after all the golfing I have done, this is the first time anyone told me we were taking to long. His reason was we were in an outing and he wanted us to all finish at the same time. Not only was this a first to me, but I think a bad business decision on their part. If people finished earlier and have to wait, guess where they will be waiting? at the 19th hole, making the place money at the bar. It should also be noted that this was during the week and the place was empty. There was no reason to rush. I shot an 110, so I am not great, but not bad either. If your not an expert golfer, don't bother. They even have signs up that say, "if you are taking longer than 15 minutes on a hole, you will be asked to tee off the ladies tee", they actually used the color of the tee, but I don't remember the color. Other than that the staff was very friendly and the food was good.

Room Tip: Leave the cooler in the car until after you check in, then go back to the car and get it. They do no...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank from10801

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Edison, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

We used our timeshare for a weekend stay. The suite was okay but showing some signs of age. Really bad rust stains in the bath tub. We like the indoor/outdoor pool and I got a great massage at the Elements Spa. All the restaurants were booked because of the holiday weekend.

Room Tip: The room numbers are hard to see in the dark so bring a flashlight.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
5 Thank ChubbieBubbie
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

The hotel room booked at $180.00 - labelled "Deluxe" was sub-standard. More like a dorm, minus the smelly socks; yet the overwhelming smell of chlorine drowned out any possible odors. So it was raining; and there were buckets here and there. I think this is the wedding season and drives up the prices on a Saturday night. I think it is a great place for outdoor adventure, horse back riding, hiking and golf. Stay at Grand Cascades for $100 more.

I'm not sure why the same development company doesn't repair the real estate it has before moving on to the next project (I think it is the same owner/developer)?

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank justme60763
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2004

This must have been the fansiest hotel, back in 1965. Okay maybe I am exagerating, but really it has unsetteling styling, it has a lot of leaks in the ceilings, but all the rooms that are in use, are very nice. It is said to be haunted and when I took my pictures of the rooms, some of them had glowing spheres. But all in all, it is a very nice hotel, that just needs a little TLC. It has VERY reasonable rates, and you can even LIVE THERE on the 7th and 8th floors, which is pretty weird, but cool I guess... the main loby is very elegante, it has a giant fire place with a big chimney, the hotel is really big length wise, and it is easy to get lost. the staff is very nice, and helpfull.
Some hallways are so long it reminds you of the shining, AAAAAAAAAAAA... as long as you don't see twins coming towards you from the other end you will be perfectly fine. haha, okay well this is a valid choice, just make the best of it and you will be happy.

33 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near McAfee
Grand Cascades Lodge
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta
Hampton Inn Matamoras
Hampton Inn Matamoras
#1 of 2 in Matamoras

Been to Great Gorge Resort? Share your experiences!