“Lunch with a Twist”
Review of Main Street Cafe and Deli - CLOSED

Main Street Cafe and Deli
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This spot is a typical looking luncheonette. It is located right in the center of Mays Landing. It is clean and inviting looking.
The twist comes from the addition of New Orleans dishes on the menu. I had the chicken/sausage gumbo and my wife had the shrimp po boy.
The gumbo was authentic with a lot of okra and tasty. The Po Boy was one of the daily specials. It was the better of the two dishes.
The real surprise is that every diner gets a complimentary beignet. Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans has nothing to fear, but it was a great treat and enjiyable.
The prices are a little high for this kind of eatery ($8 for an omelet) but the food was good and the service friendly.
If we are in the area, we'll be back.
They are open 8 to 8. It is a BYOB.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Great food with lots of flavor. A combination of French and New Orleans cuisine. Just wonderful selections with big portions. Many meals $8.00, you just can't find that any more. When you sit down before you order they bring you fresh made French Quarter Beignets. The salad greens are fresh and broken into salad when ordered. Very clean. Definitely worth going out of your way for.

1  Thank dolphingvp
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have been passing this place for over 20 years on routine trips to the Jersey Shore.Today I stopped for lunch for the first time. I was expecting maybe a good hamburger and french fries but was very pleased to note the strong influence of New Orleans/Cajun cooking on the menu. I had delicious chicken and sausage gumbo along with a freshly prepared beignet. I noted andouille on the breakfast menu. I might be back for that. While the menu has these touches, have no doubt that all of the usual fare of a typical roadside eatery/diner are the majority of the menu. My wife had a chicken salad sandwich which she found to be well prepared and delicious, along with a biegnet! Prices are reasonable. I expect I will be stopping again on a future trip to the shore.

2  Thank Michael M