“You get what you pay for”
Review of Oceanside Lodge

Oceanside Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Marmora
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I have read a lot of reviews trashing this place and it was not so bad. First I must say when I got on vacation I need a room to sleep in and maybe some wifi. I tend to spend most of the time in the place I am visiting and not in the room. I am not going to study the room like a lot of people on this site did. Yes I have to say for the price this place is average. The room I was in was kinda outdated and the rug not so clean. Sheets seemed clean and overall the room was not bad. The tv was messed up but I could see what little I watched on it. Wfif is very strong so Netflix/amazon worked great. There is a pool but I did not go in. One thing I will say is the hotel in an out of the way place. You need a car to go to and from the place. There is a shop rite right down the road and a few places to eat at. Overall I would say for what you are paying (around $60 a night) what exactly could you expect?? Some people expect a 5 star experience at a 1 star price. Be forewarned you get what you are paying for. Do not expect what you would expect at a 5 star hotel. Sheets where fine towels fine room outdated but you can work with it. I would say if you are going with your family this is not the hotel for you. If you are going alone or with some friends go for it.

Room Tip: I only put terrible for the restaurant/room service because they do not have any. Go to the shop rit...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 8, 2013

The last time I was at this hotel in 2006 I gave it 2 stars, but I did say I would be back. Well, I was back there this week with my 2 young daughters and it will be our last. I checked in on Tuesday night, the employee gave me the card key and off I went to our room. I got to the door to find the card swiper was taken off the door and only silver duck tape was there covering the hole. I went back to the office and he said he forgot that the swiper was broken, and handed me a key. I asked him if he thought it was safe, being that there is a big hole in the door and nothing but duck tape over it. He assured it was ok. I didn't feel great about it, but figured it's just for one night so it's fine.

When we opened the door, I checked the beds and all around for bugs. I didn't find any bugs, but one of the mattresses had a big pee stain on it and black stuff on the side of the mattress - it looked like mold, but I have no idea what it was. The 2nd bed also had black stuff on the side of the mattress. So back to the office I went. The owner came with me to check out my concerns. He really didn't know what to say. There were no other rooms available so I asked him to call the Somers Point EconoLodge to see if they had a room. They did, he refunded me what I had paid for the room and off I went to the other EconoLodge.

I'm happy that the owner didn't give me a difficult time about refunding my money and helped me get a room at the other motel, but the condition of the room and beds were terrible. I will never go back!

The EconoLodge in Somers Point was fine. Typical of what I expect of a Econolodge.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathryn102
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Although the location was good, I would NOT recommend this place. Room smelled smokey, leftover bar of soap in the shower, general wear and tear, and breakfast left a lot to be desired. All sweets and carbs, and I'm no health freak. I think they try to keep the place nice, it's old and rundown. No signs of any bugs in our room...and I even checked for bed bugs by pulling the covers off. Hope I'm safe!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Let's do a list of pro's and con's:

CONS:
- when we got there the room wasn't ready and they put us in a dirty room to get ready for the event we were attending (we couldn't use a clean one?!?!)

- the cleaning lady cleaned while we were there. She threw the comforter on the floor to change the sheets - she did not change the bed liner which looked skeevy too. She also did not vaccuum OR clean the bathroom, and she left the previous tenant's garbage!

- left the AC on icy cold and when we got back to the room it was an ice box that stunk like hell from the old unit... yuck!

- there was PLASTIC on the mattresses. Yes, plastic! Everytime you moved it was loud crunching underneath your sheet. I was woken up constantly from the noise, worst sleep ever!

- bathroom was filthy! Towel bar was broken and the broken pieces were still stuck to the wall. Tiles were falling off the walls. Mirror was dirty. Sink was dirty. Toilet paper was not replenished. Towels felt hard and were tiny. Tub was gross (mildew all over!). Bath faucet leaked a lot and we heard the "drip drip drip" all night. Ughhhh I didn't even want to use the bathroom I preferred the supermarket down the street!

- the continental breakfast was nothing but sweet stuff. Danishes, donuts, waffles, some rotten fruit, and plain bagels. Not my personal preference.

- there were scary people walking the grounds near our room. One of them even cat called my friend. So uncomfortable!!

- the staff barely spoke english! And the lobby stunk too.

- the pool was disgusting and milky-colored... ewww!

PROS:

- easy to find and right near the parkway.

- right next to a TD Bank, a Wawa, Dunkin Donuts, and Shoprite.

- it was near an amazing restaurant called the Tuckahoe Inn. If you are unfortunate enough to be stuck at this horrific hotel that really needs to be demolished, at least eat there. Soooo delicious, holy moly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank c3c2
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Although we didn't encounter roaches (that we know of) there is nothing in this joint that works correctly. The front jacked up the price of our stay $20 over what had been agree upon when I booked the stay at the front desk.. Had I known then what I know now I would have tried the other Econo-Lodge in Somers Point, NJ which is way more convenient to Ocean City and a minuscule amount more. On top of the 30% rate increase thrust at us, the room we were put in was directly across from the hotel dumpster (oh, joy!) If we hadn't need the room right then and there we would have run and run fast. The air conditioner was broken to boot. When we complained the management (aka owner as these are franchises) tried to convince me that it was working. Finally swapped out with one taken from a store room. It blew mildewy air and only worked at max settings.
The staff they "hire" look like it operating as indentured servitude; crammed into on of the guest rooms as lodging because they work them from sun-up to well into the night (saw same guy work well past midnight and back at work at 6 am). Don't go down the same road as us--better to sleep in the car in a Wal-mart parking lot.

Room Tip: Run in the opposite direction
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank helen m
Reviewed July 24, 2013

First we get to the motel and had to wake the guy up to check us in that took him over 30 mins to let us in to do so! We get in our room and it hasn't been cleaned at all, dust and dirt all over the floor, walls, lights and the lighting above the sink was disgusting, dust, dead bugs, spiders!!! Figured we would have them take care of it in the morning, well low and behold as we were getting ready to climb in to the bed we pulled off the blanket (thank god we did) and found dead COCKROACHES in our bed!! really disgusted and totally creeped out by this point!! went to the office only to get no answer from anyone at all after an hour of waiting we decided to take a 45 min ride to walmart to buy some disinfect spray and new sheets and blanket! (there was more then 10 dead bugs in the bed under the sheets and blanket) laid awake all night long just cringing!! Went and talk to Management in the morning and was told sorry!!! And that they just crawl right in! WHAT??? Went in to the bathroom to take a shower and couldn't get out the room the door in the bathroom was stuck shut! Now I was really pissed off and just about had a panic attack!!! They cleaned the rooms and everything seemed fine, what was I thinking??? Yet again more COCKROACHES! and this time not only in our beds in both rooms but on the floor in plain sight, really they couldn't have cleaned them up!! I am without words and so upset and Defiantly want my full refund of both of my rooms!!! We were staying there as my Granddaughter had an apt with a specialist Dr at the hospital an hour away, We would have went some place else but couldn't afford to get 2 more rooms after spending $600 on these rooms!!

Room Tip: if I could give the motel a 0 rating I would!!! The nicest thing about the place is the pool! &...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nanny3Kids
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The room was really run down and as mentioned in the title, a cockroach ran across my daughter's bed. The carpet was sticky and the room smelled terrible like stale cigarettes. We stayed Friday night before our week long shore rental in Ocean City to avoid traffic. Conveniently located and the pool was nice, but won't stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chismi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marmora
Sonesta ES Suites Somers Point
Passport Inn
Passport Inn
#3 of 7 in Somers Point
Boulevard Motel
Boulevard Motel
#1 of 2 in Marmora

Been to Oceanside Lodge? Share your experiences!