“not what it used to be”

Joe's Peking Duck House
Ranked #11 of 119 Restaurants in Marlton
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Please ignore my previous excellent review. For years, Joe's was superb. I even wrote reviews stating it was one of my favorite restaurants. Not anymore. We ate there a few weeks ago and it wasn't good. After so many years of good food, I decided to give it another try. It was even worse. Everything was dried out overcooked and so salty that you couldn't eat it. We left most of what we ordered. The waiter asked us why we didn't eat very much. IT was noticeable. Even the tea was weak. We explained how it was tasteless, dried out and salty. New chef? Many empty tables? ( and it was father's day) Something has changed and not for the better. I will not be back. I left hungry. That was by far the worst chinese food that I have ever tried to eat.

Reviewed October 16, 2010

Food is excellent. I love the wonton soup with duck and noodles. All of their soups are great. Chow fun with beef and sweet and sour chicken are my favorites. Singapore noodles are spicy and good. Nice staff. Sometimes it is noisy.

Reviewed June 21, 2010

Why would you eat anywhere else when you can eat here. My cousins, aunts, uncles, Grandparents, MY WHOLE FAMILY LOVES THIS PLACE. If you don't like the food you have no good taste. The place looks amazing after the renovation which was much needed. The food is still top notch. If you try my recommended dishes I'm sure it'll change the way you look at this place if you don't love it already. I personally love the Salt Baked Shrimp, Soft-Shell Crab, and the House Pan-Fried Noodles

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed May 21, 2008

Best Duck Rolls...

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 8, 2008

For over two decades, Joe's Peking Duck House has offered fresh flavorful food with friendly efficient service. The menu is very eclectic and includes:
* simple savory duck house items such as a signature Cantonese sweetly glazed duck, noodle soup with duck parts and scallions, Peking duck, and duck chow foon
* standard Chinese American restaurant items like wonton, but prepared from scratch with more care than in many places.
* a modular menu section listing customer options for combining main ingredients, sauces, and cooking methods.
* fusion items combining Asian and European ingredients and cooking methods in highly creative ways
* a dim sum selection (on weekends)

How is it that a small suburban strip mall restaurant came to offer such a diverse menu of well prepared dishes? My wife and I have been dining at Joe's from the start, and can provide a bit of history. While living in Philly back in the mid 1980s, we stumbled across the original Joe's on Race Street a week after the open. The owners were three guys from Hong Kong who had worked at Sang Kee Duck House, and their menu started with succulent "Duck House" fare and then went beyond. Joe Poon was trained at the Culinary Institute of America and created fusion items. We loved the food and became regulars. When rave reviews in the Inquirer created mob scenes at normal dinner times, we dropped by in slack afternoon periods. Then we moved out of the area and lost track of Joe's

In the mid 1990s, we discovered the current Joe's in Marlton on a visit to my parents who had just moved to the area. Ownership had changed, with two of the original owners/managers of the Philly place running the Marlton place, then one bought out the other, and most recently a long time employee bought Joe's from the remaining original owner. Throughout the years, the owners maintained quality, with adjustments to menu and decor. In the last 12 months, the current owner freshened the decor and updated the menu. In our multiple visits to Joe's we have found the food to be very good, with fresh ingredients and skillful preparation of an exceptionally broad range of dishes.

We are hoping that Joe's will find a customer base to add more authentic dishes of the sort that we have found in Taipei, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Asian communities like San Gabriel. That may be too much to hope for in suburban New Jersey. But we are very happy to note that eating duck at Joe's remains a treat!

1  Thank aversetospam