“Absolutely the Best Indian Food”
Review of Masala Kitchen - CLOSED

Masala Kitchen
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I do not remember the names of the Indian dishes Cuisine, so I go there on Buffet days (Sun./Wed.) and then the problem is how not to eat too much, which is an impossible mission as everything is fresh and delicious. Last time i got smarter and took pictures with the dishes' titles.
Paneer Tikka Masala, Kadi Chicken, Tandoori Chicken (known dish), Zafrani Pulao, are several of the rich offering. Also the vegetables balls, Goat in divine sauce and more. Everything was fresh and with amazing aromas of the Indian cuisine. They also bring you Naan, that divine Indian flat bread that goes so well with all these sauces. Mmmmhhhh, Yummy. You cannot beat the cooking neither the $14.99 it cost. Oh, they do not have always rice pudding, but after you'll taste Masala's you'll never go back to a Diner for that dish. Very recommended.

1  Thank doodka

Reviewed May 15, 2012

This place used to be our favorite indian food, but every time I go there it seems like its getting worse and worse. They used to have many more choice and food quality was much better. Last time we ate there, I did not feel very well. What a shame!!!

Reviewed April 22, 2012

The aroma when you walk in is fantastic. The food is always good and they give great recommendations. A definite must.

1  Thank Leslie B
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We had a Groupon for a Buffet for 2 people, valid Wednesdays and Sundays, and when we came close to Philadelphia, we thought we should take the chance and travel up north to use our Groupon.

You read right, we don't live anywhere nearby, and I bought the Groupon anyway. I have a weakness for Groupons, and I often buy deals that cost more to travel to than what we save on the deal.

But anyway, this was something we wanted to do, and now was the day. Coming up from Virginia that day, changing train for car in Philly, driving up and then got terribly lost on the way. Took wrong turns 3 times and got lost more. But this was not the restaurant's fault, just ours. What I mean is, we planned to be there at 6PM, but when we finally arrove, it was 9 PM and they were closing at 9.45PM.

Luckily the buffet was right there, so we could start eating right away. And it was very very good! We eat indian dishes a lot, even at home (many brands available in pouches), and we noticed right away this food was indeed homemade!

The panneer was not rubbery, the spinache was really creamy, and the vegetables were fresh. They had also a salad bar with fresh ingredients and delicious desserts (Honey balls, mmmmmh).

We got water and soda with our food, included in this great Groupon. We were really hungry at the time we finally arrove, and we stuffed ourselves with servings from the various dishes set up at the buffet.

I wanted to take photos, but my camera had killed the batteries earlier that day, and we didn't have enough time anyway. There were about 5 vegetarian dishes and about 5 meat dishes. I remember seeing one with goat and the others were chicken dishes. I am a vegetarian and refilled on the other side.

When we entered, we saw an indian family getting ready to leave. This is always a good sign when you see that. That means, the dishes are authentic. And although I have never been to India in my life (I am West German), I am accustomed to that cuisine since about 27 years, and I really enjoyed everything I ate there. Hubby agreed that this was really an upscale place.

Somebody here had mentioned the foods were not hot (temperaturewise) and didn't like it. We were glad it was not piping hot anymore, so we could start eating right away. We are not used to eat boiling food, and there have been incidences when we were too greedy and got badly burned on occasion. Not here, the temperatures were quite warm, but not too hot. So we liked it just the way it was!

The waiter brought naan to the table, and he offered to bring more. It was also freshly made and hot (very warm). When the owner heard I was a vegetarian, he actually made me a dish, a cold salad created by mixing some ingredients together. It was a salad based on potatoes with other ingredients I could not identify. Definitely had a tang and a sweetness, and I was very impressed! I have never experienced this before that a chef/owner would spontaneously grab a bowl and create something just for me to try!

After the third round of salad and warm dishes I was getting full, but I still had to try the desserts and the pakora. They were set up a few meters away in a corner of the same room, and I discovered honey balls and other goodies. I took several and really enjoyed them. By now I was really stuffed, and it was already closing time.

We were lucky we did find this place after all. It was truely something special, and I wonder how great it must be when you come early and have enough time. We must return, I really think we must.

3  Thank Albgardis T
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We go to Masala at least a couple of times each month. The food is great, and has been consistently so for all the years they've been operating (unlike so many other restaurants that start off well and quickly deteriorate).
The staff is always attentive and friendly, and very accomodating. We love this restaurant and highly recommend it to anyone who wants a good Indian meal.

4  Thank S C