“Great food and an even better Martini”

Steve & Cookie's By The Bay
Reserve with OpenTable
Steve & Cookie's By The Bay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 46 Restaurants in Margate City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Monroe & Amherst
Description: Steve & Cookie's, located near the bay in Margate, New Jersey, offers the best of steaks & fresh seafood in a warm atmosphere with live Jazz 7 nights a week. Using the freshest of local and sustainable produce, all meats on the menu are humanely raised without hormones or antibiotics.
Reviewed August 30, 2013

If I were to base my review solely on my dinner, I would have given this an Excellent review however, those dining with me had good meals, not quite as excellent as mine. I have to take all things into consideration.

I'm not sure if I can blame the restaurant for the people who had our table before us and sat there for 2.75 hours. We had to wait almost 40 minutes to sit down. Good news is, it gave me time to have one of the best martini's I've ever had.

This older gentleman bartender who I'm told the local news has done a story on, appeared happy that I ordered a traditional Gin martini. He said "you're going to like this martini", so I proceeded to watch him mix. He didn't even want me to go through my usual routine to explain that I wanted gin, not vodka, extra dry, up with a twist and no olives. That appears to be the way he prefers to make them. He uses Plymouth Gin, two drops of orange bitters and a brand of vermouth I've never heard of. It was spectacular! Very smooth.

Appetizer: I ordered crispy tuna rolls with plum ginger and chili lime dipping sauce. Not something I expected on this menu but was very well prepared. Really tasty.

Entree: Warners Bouillabaisse with fish, crabmeat, shrimp and scallops in a pernod and saffron broth. This was exceptional. The saffron really sets this dish off nicely. I highly recommend this entree. The Veal Chop Milanese also received kudos from our table.

All in all, a very nice dinner. I would gladly return and recommend this restaurant. Oh yes, did I note that it was packed on a Tuesday night in late August. Not the busiest seashore week, but this place draws a big local crowd.

beanzalo meter: 7.9 out of 10 (top of the "Very Good" category)

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Reservation was for 7:15. Got seated at 7:45. My wife had the Cesar salad. Large and delicious . I had a bowl of the New England clam chowder. Passable. Now comes the entrees. My wife had the pan roasted seafood platter. Small portion for price. The scallops were not cleaned properly and you can taste the sand. I had the cowboy steak. It was i edible so tough and fatty. My wife said I should send it back but I kept trying different parts to see if any could be eaten. Finally I gave up. Should have listened to her. Had the blueberry pie for desert. Excellent. So if you just have a salad and desert it' great . But $150 for that is rediculous.

1  Thank howard a
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I've eaten here more times at the bar than at a table. Always superb food and service from George and Bruce. Consistency is the theme here and Cookie's ability to hire and retain servers in 6 month resort is unparalelled. So last Friday I had the kids and tried to get a table. Hostess told me it would be at least a 45 min wait and I put my name in. I then asked her if i could make reservations for tmro night annd she said no, I'd have call back tmro? Huh? Oh well we walked outside to wait. I come back ten minutes later to ask if she could call my cell phone when table was ready as we were taking a walk. She said no, we dont call cell phones here. Huh? Really? OK. She then tells me it's going to be a 3 hour wait for our table. I pointed out to her that she told me ten minutes ago it would be 45 minutes. She contradicted and said she said AT LEAST 45 minutes. Really? I pointed out the vast difference in her two estimates and she just smiled at me. I then asked if she was sure i couldnt make a reservation for tmro and without hesitation she said sure. I asked why she said no earlier and she said no only because she was busy earlier. OMG! This girl is a mess! When she said no only ten minutes earlier there was no one behind me ! So I let that one go too, and with a happy smile, she tells me she has 9:45 and and 10:00 pm available tmro. That's it for me fans!! I left!!

From the moment I walked in the door this unpleasant 20 something hostess was doing everything possible to dissuade my business. A shame that someone so insignificant could so significantly affect my longstanding favorable opinion of this restaurant. But she did.

Needless to say, I didnt eat here on 8/18 but not by choice.

3  Thank Jim275
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Was seated for an 845 reservation quite promptly. Had appetizers of ugly tomato salad, manhattan clam chowder and lobster mac and cheese. All great but the ugly tomato salad and the mac and cheese was exceptional.

Dinner entrees were equally impressive, atlantic halibut, a bouillabaisse like dish. Lastly dessert included the famous (not to be missed) blueberry pie, creme brûlée.

Well served and a nice evening.

Don't expect a quick dinner in the dining room, however they have an oyster bar to serve quick meals as well as seats at the bar.

The main dining room is very energetic and can be noisy, so avoid if you are solving world peace or any other crisis during dinner!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We have eaten here before and enjoyed it but this past time was terrible. The place was mobbed, the service was slow and the food was not as good as before. While we had reservations, we still had to wait at the crowded bar until a table was ready. Then we were seated in the middle of the large crowded noisy room, even though we had requested a quiet table. It was impossible to talk. Then it took forever for our food to arrive. When we complained the manager gave us attitude. We will never go there again.